Last to post wins

HUSKER 37

Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:32 am Post subject: Pac-10 has best way to crown champ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never been a Pathetic 10 fan, but I like the direction they're going with their conference plaY.

Do you think it would work for the SEC or B-12?

Best thing is it would eliminate rematches, and insure everybody in your conference plays everyone else.

(I REALLY miss playing Oklahoma every year )

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/a...lweekly-CR.html

---------------------------------------------

Quote:

Todd Kelly

azcentral.com

Sept. 21, 2006 01:29 PM

With the non-conference games all but over for the teams in the Pac-10, it's time to get down to some head-to-head competition. This is a significant season the league for this reason: the round robin schedule.

Every team in the Pac-10 plays every other team, for the first time, an offshoot of the new 12-game schedule. In fact, of the six BCS conferences, only two play every other conference foe: the Pac-10 and the Big East.

So while Oklahoma doesn't play Nebraska in the Big XII this season, and Tennessee doesn't play Auburn in the SEC, ASU can't skip Cal, like it did last year, and everybody gets a shot at USC.

Unlike the Big Ten, a league that actually has 11 teams, with each team skipping three (three!) conference rivals, the Pac-10 has, by far, the best way to secure an honest conference champion. And don't tell me about those conferece championships employed by the Big XII and the SEC. Those usually result in rematches anyway.

So let the feeding frenzy begin. Conceivably, the round robin schedule will make it more difficult for a Pac-10 team to go undefeated, but I guess we'll find out.

"Now this end is called the thagomizer, after the late Thag Simmons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35bZ75QlRX8

Don't watch the last 20 seconds...

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:42 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, uh, it'd work in 12 team conferences if they only played one OOC game.

but it's bullsh#t, because USC is the only team in the PAC10. there are at least 4 teams in the SEC that'd run the non-USC PAC10 table this year - maybe 6 if UKY and UT turn out to be any good.

--

Go Gators!

HUSKER 37

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:08 am Post subject:

Yeah, but aren't there at least a couple of Non-conference games you'd trade for a shot at every other team in your conference?

Having one of your two best teams lose the Conf. Championship game just before Bowl season sorta hurts the overall percieved conference strength.

Which SEC team do you miss playing every year?

It just doesn't seem like a proper Thanksgiving without seeing My Huskers play those dang Sooners..or Ohio State play Michigan.

Might as well order a pizza instead of having a Turkey Dinner.

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:19 am Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

Yeah, but aren't there at least a couple of Non-conference games you'd trade for a shot at every other team in your conference?

Having one of your two best teams lose the Conf. Championship game just before Bowl season sorta hurts the overall percieved conference strength.

Tulane and hell no, i wouldn't give up our OOC schedule for anything other than an easier OOC schedule. our schedule is the firey pits of god-damned hell right now. the last thing we need is a road game w/MSU or ARK.

--

Go Gators!

CivilGator

Game Day Barber

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:11 am Post subject:

blue wrote:

but it's bullsh#t, because USC is the only team in the PAC10. there are at least 4 teams in the SEC that'd run the non-USC PAC10 table this year - maybe 6 if UKY and UT turn out to be any good.

I can't believe you just typed that.

Quote:

"We're not going to defend it," Noah said. "We're going to attack it. It's the laws of the jungle; and the Gators don't lose to many animals in the jungle."

Syn

The Chosen One

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:25 am Post subject:

CivilGator wrote:

blue wrote:

I can't believe you just typed that.

I was thinking the same thing.

Numbers wrote:

Syn, you are an unbelievable human being.

Panamag8or wrote:

Then one day, Syn decided to schedule a haircut.

HUSKER 37

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:26 am Post subject:

blue wrote:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

Tulane and hell no, i wouldn't give up our OOC schedule for anything other than an easier OOC schedule. our schedule is the firey pits of god-damned hell right now. the last thing we need is a road game w/MSU or ARK.

I never understood people like you.

Why do you like EASY games? (Unless you're West Virginia? )

You can't be your best unless you play the best..or some other cliche' I can't think of.

Reminds me of growing up and hearing young Tom Osborn rant and rave about Bear Bryant avoiding us in the Bowls..Sorry Bammer

Just throw out the two worst teams in your Conference and play the rest.

In our case...Maybe Baylor and Colorado (This season).

You guys probably wouldn't miss Vandy or Kentucky..

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:54 am Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

blue wrote:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

You can't be your best unless you play the best..or some other cliche' I can't think of.

i didn't say i liked easy games, dude. you can't be the best unless you can make it thru the season with at most one loss, and playing 11 sec games and FSU every year would make that even less likely than it is now.

when the rest of you patsy-ass one-team conferences catch up to the SEC, you can talk about schedules.

--

Go Gators!

Grandin Gator

Leakster Lite

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:52 am Post subject:

It doesn't really matter to me if the round-robin schedule makes the Pac-10 champ more legitimate. I'm just glad to see schools doing something substantial with their 12th game.

blue wrote:

RFUCK YOU FUXCK YOU FUXCK YOU!!@ IOUWA!!!! TUVK YOU*!!

NOLAthatdoesn'tsuck

The Black Tape

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:31 pm Post subject:

Rather than have the Pac 10 play everyone in the conference, I'd prefer they add Fresno State and Boise State to the league and play a championship game. Then, if ND ever grows some balls and joins the Big 10 (which they won't) we'd be set up for a great playoff system

If every BCS conference had a CG we could have an eight team playoff with the six CG winners and the two best midmajor champions. No non conference champions allowed.

Ouch

FOOTBALL TIME AGAIN!

Grandin Gator

Leakster Lite

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:50 pm Post subject:

NOLAthatdoesn'tsuck wrote:

Rather than have the Pac 10 play everyone in the conference, I'd prefer they add Fresno State and Boise State to the league and play a championship game.

The Pac-10 likes to think of itself as a grand academic consortium, so they won't let in a school like Fresno State. I don't know what Boise's reputation is, but they're a member of the Pac-10 in wrestling, so maybe the conference would add them for all sports.

blue wrote:

RFUCK YOU FUXCK YOU FUXCK YOU!!@ IOUWA!!!! TUVK YOU*!!

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:24 pm Post subject:

Rather than have the Pac 10 play everyone in the conference, I'd prefer they add Fresno State and Boise State to the league and play a championship game. Then, if ND ever grows some balls and joins the Big 10 (which they won't) we'd be set up for a great playoff system

If every BCS conference had a CG we could have an eight team playoff with the six CG winners and the two best midmajor champions. No non conference champions allowed.

that would be sweeeeeet.

--

Go Gators!

HawaiianGator

Leakster Lite

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:29 pm Post subject:

blue wrote:

that would be sweeeeeet.

that actually makes sense ....

it will never happen

EG wrote:

perhaps it is the big ten in me.

HUSKER 37

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:37 pm Post subject:

blue wrote:

i didn't say i liked easy games, dude. you can't be the best unless you can make it thru the season with at most one loss, and playing 11 sec games and FSU every year would make that even less likely than it is now.

when the rest of you patsy-ass one-team conferences catch up to the SEC, you can talk about schedules.

Uhhh.

Just Who's the "One team" in my conference this year?

Wait...That didn't help me... (But REALLY...I'm not even sure it's not Missouri)

Uh.

Ok..You FINALLY have a year where even some people (outside) the SEC think you're the best conference... and the rest of us are all "One Team Conferences"?...And tryin' to catch up, even??

Fukn' Hilarious

Lucky for you, Colorado choked big time today or we'd have thought you were a conference of Notre Dames...

Sorry..That was way harsh..

Quote:

"Dear Lord..Please be with the bulldogs and the rest of the SEC fans in New Guinee..."

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:08 am Post subject:

we don't make excuses for UGA around here

--

Go Gators!

Cruzer

Garden Killer

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:35 pm Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

blue wrote:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

Reminds me of growing up and hearing young Tom Osborn rant and rave about Bear Bryant avoiding us in the Bowls..Sorry Bammer

Just throw out the two worst teams in your Conference and play the rest.

In our case...Maybe Baylor and Colorado (This season).

You guys probably wouldn't miss Vandy or Kentucky..

It ceratinly has worked for Miami (5 NCs) and FSU (2 NCs).

Right Now - Steve Spurrier is wishing he was a Gator.

Denver-Gator

Founding Father

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:31 pm Post subject:

The problem with round robin is what do you do when you have three teams that all have one loss to each other at the top of the division.

That almost happened a few years ago in the SEC East, and I think the tie breaker is, I think, BCS ranking. It was going to be some sort of random selection until it almost happened.

EG

goddess of war...and handicrafts

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:34 pm Post subject:

Denver-Gator wrote:

The problem with round robin is what do you do when you have three teams that all have one loss to each other at the top of the division.

That almost happened a few years ago in the SEC East, and I think the tie breaker is, I think, BCS ranking. It was going to be some sort of random selection until it almost happened.

this has happened in the Big 10 (11) before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dbRTwB0WM&search=Boonen

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=69...mp;q=tom+boonen

artful dodger

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:38 pm Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

blue wrote:

Uhhh.

Just Who's the "One team" in my conference this year?

Wait...That didn't help me... (But REALLY...I'm not even sure it's not Missouri)

Uh.

Ok..You FINALLY have a year where even some people (outside) the SEC think you're the best conference... and the rest of us are all "One Team Conferences"?...And tryin' to catch up, even??

Fukn' Hilarious

Lucky for you, Colorado choked big time today or we'd have thought you were a conference of Notre Dames...

Sorry..That was way harsh..

Quote:

"Dear Lord..Please be with the bulldogs and the rest of the SEC fans in New Guinee..."

A year? And some people??

Try looking at the rankings once in a while buddy. We've got 5 teams consistently in the top 25 every year. Usually more than one in the top 10. Then we beat each other up and drop in ways that other strong teams in weaker conferences won't.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality."

"I'm sure your knowledge of bullsh#t is limitless."

hoser

imsleepy

Game Day Barber

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:41 pm Post subject:

The big 12 North's new motto "We used to be good, I swear"

artful dodger

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:49 pm Post subject:

Yeah, you don't all get credit just cause Texas finally brought it home.

hoser

artful dodger

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:01 pm Post subject:

Here's a shocker

http://www.1800-sports.com/2005-top25-college-football.shtml

3 in the top 10, 5 in the top 14. I'm sure I could go back further if we need to go there.

hoser

Freelemur

Elite 11

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:37 pm Post subject:

our schedule compared to Georgia's is completely unfair this year. We play LSU, AUburn and Alabama, they play Auburn and the 2 mississippi schools.

gator32301

r00b's Proctologist

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:49 pm Post subject:

The Pac-10 doesn't do anything the best way.

Grim wrote:

my first dude...finally

HUSKER 37

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:29 pm Post subject:

artful dodger wrote:

Here's a shocker

(B-12) 1.) Texas Longhorns

(P-10) 2.) Southern California Trojans

(B-11) 3.) Penn State Nittany Lions

(B-11) 4.) Ohio State Buckeyes

5.) West Virginia Mountaineers

(sec) 6.) LSU Tigers

7.) Virginia Tech Hookies

(sec) 8.) Alabama Crimson Tide

(IND) 9.) Notre Dame Fighting Irish

(sec) 10.) Georgia Bulldogs

11.) TCU

(sec) 12.) University of Florida Gators

(P-10) 13.) Oregon Ducks

(sec) 14.) Auburn Tigers

(B-11) 15.) University of Wisconsin

(P-10) 16.) UCLA Bruins

17.) University of Miami Hurricanes

18.) Boston College

19.) Louisville Cardinals

(B12) 20.) Texas Tech Red Raiders

(sec) 21.) Clemson Tigers

(B12) 22.) Oklahoma Sooners

23.) Florida State Seminoles

(B12) 24.) University of Nebraska

(P-10) 25.) University of California - Berkley

3 in the top 10, 5 in the top 14. I'm sure I could go back further if we need to go there.

Ok..TWO years...Actually I wasn't calling the SEC a "One Team" Conference...I was just wanting to know who Blue thought the "One Team" in my conference was (This Year)...I'm assuming the B-12 was included in his list of "One Conference teams.

So..Let's see..accd to the list from your link above...

(B-12) was a "4 team" conference, although 5 other teams were rated during the season.

(B-11) was a "3 team" conference, although 6 other teams were rated during the season.

(P-10) was a "4 team" conference, although 3 other teams were rated during the season.

(sec) was a "6 team" conference, although 2 other teams were rated during the season.

Now, I'm not sure how much stock I put into these ratings, but there's not as much difference between number 5 through 35..Any ONE of them could knock each other off at any given time.

The days of the "1 team" conference are probably over..Shoot even when we had probably our "BEST Team"..Our two closest games came against conference teams...Probably true of ALL of our MNC teams.

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:47 pm Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

artful dodger wrote:

Here's a shocker

(B-12) 1.) Texas Longhorns

(P-10) 2.) Southern California Trojans

(B-11) 3.) Penn State Nittany Lions

(B-11) 4.) Ohio State Buckeyes

5.) West Virginia Mountaineers

(sec) 6.) LSU Tigers

7.) Virginia Tech Hookies

(sec) 8.) Alabama Crimson Tide

(IND) 9.) Notre Dame Fighting Irish

(sec) 10.) Georgia Bulldogs

11.) TCU

(sec) 12.) University of Florida Gators

(P-10) 13.) Oregon Ducks

(sec) 14.) Auburn Tigers

(B-11) 15.) University of Wisconsin

(P-10) 16.) UCLA Bruins

17.) University of Miami Hurricanes

18.) Boston College

19.) Louisville Cardinals

(B12) 20.) Texas Tech Red Raiders

(sec) 21.) Clemson Tigers

(B12) 22.) Oklahoma Sooners

23.) Florida State Seminoles

(B12) 24.) University of Nebraska

(P-10) 25.) University of California - Berkley

Ok..TWO years...Actually I wasn't calling the SEC a "One Team" Conference...I was just wanting to know who Blue thought the "One Team" in my conference was (This Year)...I'm assuming the B-12 was included in his list of "One Conference teams.

So..Let's see..accd to the list from your link above...

(B-12) was a "4 team" conference, although 5 other teams were rated during the season.

(B-11) was a "3 team" conference, although 6 other teams were rated during the season.

(P-10) was a "4 team" conference, although 3 other teams were rated during the season.

(sec) was a "6 team" conference, although 2 other teams were rated during the season.

Now, I'm not sure how much stock I put into these ratings, but there's not as much difference between number 5 through 35..Any ONE of them could knock each other off at any given time.

The days of the "1 team" conference are probably over..Shoot even when we had probably our "BEST Team"..Our two closest games came against conference teams...Probably true of ALL of our MNC teams.

no one in your conference has been worth a sh#t yet to know which team it is. might be Texas, might be OK. B12 is going ofer the bowl season this year.

--

Go Gators!

HUSKER 37

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:07 am Post subject:

blue wrote:

no one in your conference has been worth a sh#t yet to know which team it is. might be Texas, might be OK. B12 is going ofer the bowl season this year.

You're right on the 1st point...But I have a feeling we are BOTH going to be dissapointed after the bowl season...

Although I can't help but hope we get to play another SEC champion..

Last edited by on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Syn

The Chosen One

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:13 am Post subject:

I don't know how you can call the Big 12 a sh#t conference when a Big 12 team has been to every National Title game since 2000 (except 2002).

Whereas an SEC team has only been 3 times in 10 years (Florida 96, Tenn 98, LSU 03).

Numbers wrote:

Panamag8or wrote:

blue

Summer Intern

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:17 am Post subject:

Syn wrote:

I don't know how you can call the Big 12 a sh#t conference when a Big 12 team has been to every National Title game since 2000 (except 2002).

Whereas an SEC team has only been 3 times in 10 years (Florida 96, Tenn 98, LSU 03).

that seems to prove my point more than anything. one good team a year for a long time, vs a consistently difficult schedule. there won't be a b12 team in the title game this year.

--

Go Gators!

HUSKER 37

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:25 am Post subject:

blue wrote:

Syn wrote:

thank you for proving my point. maybe next time you can read the thread first.

What point?

THat the SEC isn't a "1 team" conference? That was My point...And that the B-12 ALSO has had 3 diff. teams in the MNC game lately...

I thought your point was that your conference was too tough to have to play them all.

Syn

The Chosen One

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:47 am Post subject:

blue wrote:

Syn wrote:

that seems to prove my point more than anything. one good team a year for a long time, vs a consistently difficult schedule. there won't be a b12 team in the title game this year.

3 different teams went though (Nebraska, Oklahoma 3 times, Texas).

I'm not saying the SEC is bad or anything; I DO think the Big 12 is down this year, but the Big 12 is NOT a "one team" conference. Texas went 10-1 every year and went to a major bowl, their only loss being to OU. OU has a down year, Texas goes undefeated.

Numbers wrote:

Panamag8or wrote:

HUSKER 37

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:18 am Post subject:

Syn wrote:

blue wrote:

Syn wrote:

3 different teams went though (Nebraska, Oklahoma 3 times, Texas).

I'm not saying the SEC is bad or anything; I DO think the Big 12 is down this year, but the Big 12 is NOT a "one team" conference. Texas went 10-1 every year and went to a major bowl, their only loss being to OU. OU has a down year, Texas goes undefeated.

We're beating Texas this year..

Unless Callahan decides to call another "Vanilla Offense" like he did against USC so the point spread will be greater in the B12 Championship game. (Assuming we make it there for the rematch).

artful dodger

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:02 am Post subject:

I don't think the Big 12 is a one conference team, but it certainly isn't nearly as competitve across the board as the SEC or Big 10. The Big 12 North is just miserable. This conference was billed as one that was supposed to be on the level of a Big 10 or an SEC, but it is not- plain and simple. Sure you have 3 different teams winning NCs, but thats only because there isn't parity year to year. When you see the Big 12, they usually have one or two really good teams (recently its been Texas and Oklahoma) and then one other team that's overranked but decent. Then they have another team that is ranked but would get their asses handed to them by a traditionally stronger program- imagine a #18 Texas Tech playing a #19 Michigan or #16 Florida.

I'm sure someone will now go and try to find bowl matchups to disprove this, but its obvious when the same teams keep dominating their conference year after year going undefeated or with one loss that there can't be enough parity to call it a strong conference.

hoser

artful dodger

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:06 am Post subject:

My point is, one team seems to dominate that conference for about 2 or 3 years and then it rotates to the next one and so on....Its a revolving door of Texas, Oklahoma, and I guess we could still include Nebraska in that. The SEC has seen LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee all become dominant football teams year in and year out. Then throw in the occasional Alabama or Arkansas and almost every year this conference is up for grabs.

hoser

HUSKER 37

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:01 am Post subject:

artful dodger wrote:

I don't think the Big 12 is a one conference team, but it certainly isn't nearly as competitve across the board as the SEC or Big 10. The Big 12 North is just miserable. This conference was billed as one that was supposed to be on the level of a Big 10 or an SEC, but it is not- plain and simple. Sure you have 3 different teams winning NCs, but thats only because there isn't parity year to year. When you see the Big 12, they usually have one or two really good teams (recently its been Texas and Oklahoma) and then one other team that's overranked but decent. Then they have another team that is ranked but would get their asses handed to them by a traditionally stronger program- imagine a #18 Texas Tech playing a #19 Michigan or #16 Florida.

I'm sure someone will now go and try to find bowl matchups to disprove this, but its obvious when the same teams keep dominating their conference year after year going undefeated or with one loss that there can't be enough parity to call it a strong conference.

I think I see your points, but just because there's parity in your conference, does that make your conference better than the others?

I'd imagine the MAC has the best parity across the board.

There's much more parity in almost all conferences. (Even divisions, aparently).

How else do you explain Colorado being winless including loosing to a div.11 Montanna State, and then two weeks later, outplaying one of the SEC's better teams for 3 3/4 of the game? (I didn't even know Montanna had colleges)

I wouldn't put it past them (CU) to beat Nebraska at the end of the season.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Texas looses to aTm at the end of the season.

There's so much luck involved in these games, the best team doesn't nessecarily always win. (Why a playoff system would be almost pointless).

Not to rehash ancient history, but the '95 season, If I remember right, you guys finnished 2nd (correct me if I'm wrong) even though all of our conference games were much closer in score than our Fiesta Bowl game.

Does that mean, the Gators should've been ranked lower than our Conference opponents?

No..

Because you guys had a better overall year than any of the other teams we played..And more likely than not, would beat most of them in a head to head battle.

We played one of our best games of the season that night, and you guys probably played one of your worst.

Last season, everybody was saying that USC had the best team in history.

They were then beaten by the Shorthorns (thank gawd)...

Why then, wasn't Texas considered the best team of all time?

imsleepy

Game Day Barber

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:08 am Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

Last season, everybody was saying that USC had the best team in history.

They were then beaten by the Shorthorns (thank gawd)...

Why then, wasn't Texas considered the best team of all time?

media hype only goes one way, when whoever the "chosen" team is loses the winning team only get conciliatory remarks from the talking heads

EG

goddess of war...and handicrafts

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:27 am Post subject:

The SEC is way better than those other conferences. We have many bowl eligbile teams and SEVERAL in the top 10 and NC contenders at any given time.

The big 12 has ONE good, NC-contender team a YEAR; in the past it's been OK or Nebraska, lately it's been Texas.

The 3rd or 4th team in the B12 would get CRUSHED by the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC or the Big 10 for that matter.

The depth of a conference makes a HUGE difference....playing a tougher schedule adds lots of wear and tear to your players. Playing substandard teams when you're good (for example Texas) allows the great players to rest. Vince young plays in the SEC last year, chances are he gets hurt. Does Texas beat USC without him? No way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dbRTwB0WM&search=Boonen

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=69...mp;q=tom+boonen

Denver-Gator

Founding Father

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:21 pm Post subject:

HUSKER 37 wrote:

How else do you explain Colorado being winless including loosing to a div.11 Montanna State, and then two weeks later, outplaying one of the SEC's better teams for 3 3/4 of the game? (I didn't even know Montanna had colleges)

I wouldn't put it past them (CU) to beat Nebraska at the end of the season.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Texas looses to aTm at the end of the season.

CU is probably getting better. Hawkins has a completely different Offensive philosophy than Barnett did. I think they will start to win some games this season and be better by the end.

HUSKER 37

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:32 am Post subject:

EG wrote:

The SEC is way better than those other conferences. We have many bowl eligbile teams and SEVERAL in the top 10 and NC contenders at any given time.

Even the Big10(11) can say that

EG wrote:

The big 12 has ONE good, NC-contender team a YEAR; in the past it's been OK or Nebraska, lately it's been Texas.

I don't agree..Unless there's a coaching change, teams at this level don't drop off that drastically or that fast...They just reload, and recruit to better themselves against conference foes...Maybe why we both feel conference teams are much tougher than OOC teams. ((Conference teams are concentrating their recruiting to compete against your ((In conference teams') weaknesses)). We didn't win many MNC's until Osborn started to also recruit to compete against the Canes. Our Conference Champ was tied in to the Orange Bowl and would more often than not, have to play the home team (Miami, or FSU). the trick was to ballance that off with making sure you got there.

Like you guys, we don't find out which of the 3 or 5 teams will have a legitimate run at the MNC until they beat each other off... er up.

EG wrote:

The 3rd or 4th team in the B12 would get CRUSHED by the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC or the Big 10 for that matter.

Like Iowa State (#6-7) does against Iowa (#4-5?) or...

Like Colorado did against Georgia???

Now...I'm not sure Colorado is our #4, yet, but I can't think of more than 3 SEC teams I'd pick over UGA

EG wrote:

The depth of a conference makes a HUGE difference....playing a tougher schedule adds lots of wear and tear to your players. Playing substandard teams when you're good (for example Texas) allows the great players to rest. Vince young plays in the SEC last year, chances are he gets hurt. Does Texas beat USC without him? No way.

How are we supposed to "Run up tha Score" if our starters don't play the whole game?

I still vaguely remember from my playing days getting worn down no matter who we played..Probably the toughest player I had to face was Jay Novacek (future all pro) ..But I got hurt much worse two weeks later against somebody I don't remember returning a kickoff.

Guy's will go for your knees no matter how good their team is.

This year, we've lost 3 players for the season...2

of them got hurt playing against some High School from Louisianna.

(Tech or State).

Even USC after our miserable game (lost by our HBC) their players, said they hadn't played against a bigger/faster/tougher defensive line EVER(TROY said the same a week later after getting close to FSU)...If USC played against that level of Competition on a weekly basis and with their depth, they'd be pretty good by the end of the year...Troy on the other hand...Probably won't ever have that kind of depth...I like their schedule though..I hope they can keep their program improving.

--------------------------

• Mavric locked this topic
  • Mavric unlocked this topic
  • Mavric locked and unlocked this topic