Team Talent vs. Wins Per Talent

34 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Riley's classes were overrated, disproportionate amount of busts, even for a team with a coaching change. 

Wiscy and especially Iowa do  go for more "lower hanging fruit" but they have a good eye for it. They do develop obviously but there is also more potential in their classes than the rankings show. 

Agreed, and Riley's first two classes were disproportionately heavy on offensive talent. When that got combined with atrocious coaching on both sides of the ball we wound up in the spot we found ourselves in by 2017 when the deficits on defense became insurmountable. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again - I don't have to hear any interviews with current or former players/coaches to know that Iowa & Wisconsin have:

-A great weight lifting culture where guys are motivated to lift year round

-Great contact drilling in their camps/practices

They come out physical each season with a "grind-it-out" offensive style where they usually have just enough talent at the skill positions to dominate the West. When I look at the attitude that both Frost and the team has towards becoming stronger & more physical I really have no doubt that we are going to leave these teams behind in just a season or two because of the momentum that we have with recruiting the skill positions right now.

*edit for grammar

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed, and Riley's first two classes were disproportionately heavy on offensive talent.

Especially WRs padded Riley's recruiting rankings.

4 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Thunder Collins?

Man, I still remember thinking how cool it would be to hear Thunderstuck blaring over the speakers when he made a big play.  Didn't really pan out.

But Collins did manage to get over 700 yards from scrimmage and score 5 TDs.  Which, I believe, is significantly more than anyone - maybe everyone - Williams recruited.  So I'm going no.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Man, I still remember thinking how cool it would be to hear Thunderstuck blaring over the speakers when he made a big play.  Didn't really pan out.

But Collins did manage to get over 700 yards from scrimmage and score 5 TDs.  Which, I believe, is significantly more than anyone - maybe everyone - Williams recruited.  So I'm going no.

Haha

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But Collins did manage to get over 700 yards from scrimmage and score 5 TDs.  Which, I believe, is significantly more than anyone - maybe everyone - Williams recruited. 

Eh, credit where it's due: Spielman was one of his recruits.

Speaking of Riley recruits, I wonder if we'll see much production from Dismuke in the next year or two. He's the only member of the Calabasas crew that stuck with us. Prove to us that you can rise above where you came from, young man!

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Eh, credit where it's due: Spielman was one of his recruits.

Speaking of Riley recruits, I wonder if we'll see much production from Dismuke in the next year or two. He's the only member of the Calabasas crew that stuck with us. Prove to us that you can rise above where you came from, young man!

HaHa!  Thunder Collins for the win!

or is it loss, either way...I win! lol

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

No, Spielman was not one of his recruits.  Riley found out about him through his connections with his dad.  Riley was the main guy recruiting him.

Ah, I forgot about his dad. I just glanced at his 247 page, which listed Williams as his main recruiter.