OSU game

hack

Huskers looking to dust off the Cowboys

When it comes to Nebraska, Troy University and Oklahoma State may not know it, but they should have something in common. After massive tests this coming season against the two teams who faced off in the Rose Bowl on January 4, Troy and OSU could serve as ''get well' games for the Nebraska Cornhuskers .

The difference is that the matchup with Troy will be in Memorial Stadium and the game against the Cowboys, to be contested on October 28, will be in Stillwater. One week prior to their September 23 meeting with Troy, Nebraska travels to Los Angeles to collide with USC. On October 21, the Big Red will host the Longhorns of Texas.

The Cowboys may be licking their chops with the theory that the 'Huskers will limp into Stillwater as a wounded squad after a severe collision with the Longhorns. Still, the real question at hand is whether or not OSU has enough tools to defeat Nebraska for what would only the fourth time in the 41-game history of the series? The answer is that they shouldn't, but that doesn't mean they can't.

Bobby Reid, a redshirt sophomore quarterback who started five games last season, can hurt a defense with his arm or his legs and could get the starting nod this fall for the Cowboys. Reid has some considerably talented players around him. Redshirt sophomore running back Mike Hamilton is someone to watch. In 2005, he set an OSU freshman record with 961 rushing yards.

D'Juan Woods is a playmaker at wide receiver as he showed last season when he caught 56 passes, eight of which were for touchdowns. He will be a redshirt junior this fall. Led by Woods, there should be good depth at wide receiver for the Cowboys.

The Big Red's offense will work against a defense that they should do quite well against. OSU gave up over 31 points per game in 2005 and Nebraska could exploit them this October. Ryan McBean, a senior defensive tackle, had 37 tackles and three sacks last fall. He is among a group along the defensive front who has varsity experience.

The Cowboys' defensive backfield has some talent with guys like Donovan Woods and Grant Jones. Woods, redshirt junior, had 32 tackles and two picks as a safety last season. He started the 2005 campaign as a quarterback. Jones, a senior, collected nine tackles in the White vs. Orange Spring Game.

Sure, the Cowboys have some athletes to keep an eye on, but this should still be a win of at least seven points for Nebraska.

I think NU will end up winning this game, but it will be a tight one I think. Whether NU beats or loses to UT, there will inevitably some sort of let down. Either relaxation because they just knocked off the champs, or a little bit of depression because they lost a heartbreaker.

I think that it will be a close game as well. Remember....we didn't play well on the road last year. Which is why I think that all the road games (ISU, Texas A & M, KSU and USC) are going to be nailbiters. Not to be a Benard, but I don't like we can beat USC away and I definitely don't see an easy win over OSU....but, I think we can beat Texas at home. Just my opinion....don't ride on me. :ahhhhhhhh

I think that ISU game will really put our players to the test. They are our main competition in the North, and we haven't won there the past two times we have played there. They have a lot of returners on offense, with Meyer, Hicks, Blythe, and Flynn. In total they return nine starters on offense, so their O will be good. Their D however is only returning four, so Zac and the boys will be able to exploit them. In the end, I think this will be a tough game for our boys. This game will be the first of the three road in four games, so hopefully they start the road trip strong.