Damon Benning insights on USC game

Damon Benning was cohosting on 1620 today and he said he has an uneasy feeling about the USC game. He says he's usually a homer but he said there is alot that needs to be resolved. On the defense he said the biggest issue is the lack of experience at safety. He said USC will exploit that. He thinks a weakness is at Will Linebacker. He says Stewart Bradly is very good when healthy but it is still less than a year since his knee surgery. He says Octavien is still unproven. He said that USC will have two of the best tackles in the country and he will enjoy watching Carriker match up with them. His main issue of the offense was that he thinks that Kenny Wilson will eventually be the starter and may take over by the USC game. He thinks that Wilson has what it takes to be a great one. He also wishes that Purify would get on campus to be working out with the team.

Damon Benning was cohosting on 1620 today and he said he has an uneasy feeling about the USC game. He says he's usually a homer but he said there is alot that needs to be resolved. On the defense he said the biggest issue is the lack of experience at safety. He said USC will exploit that. He thinks a weakness is at Will Linebacker. He says Stewart Bradly is very good when healthy but it is still less than a year since his knee surgery. He says Octavien is still unproven. He said that USC will have two of the best tackles in the country and he will enjoy watching Carriker match up with them. His main issue of the offense was that he thinks that Kenny Wilson will eventually be the starter and may take over by the USC game. He thinks that Wilson has what it takes to be a great one. He also wishes that Purify would get on campus to be working out with the team.

Yeah I heard that. He said Kenny Wilson is on his way to stardom, and that he is one of the most athletically gifted kids he has ever seen, minus pads. This is really getting me excited hearin BEnning talking about him. However, I'm surprised he doesn't think Nebraska will beat USC. He said they'll probably lose by 10-14 points. It should be an interesting season.

if Notre Dame and Fresno St. can almost beat USC, then we can beat them! what do we have that Notre Dame and Fresno St. dont have? ill give you a hint. its the 11 guys that are not on offense....need another hint? we call them the BLACKSHIRTS...

if you guessed "a DEFENSE," you are absolutely correct!

if Notre Dame and Fresno St. can almost beat USC, then we can beat them! what do we have that Notre Dame and Fresno St. dont have? ill give you a hint. its the 11 guys that are not on offense....need another hint? we call them the BLACKSHIRTS...

if you guessed "a DEFENSE," you are absolutely correct!

Not to mention that was an experienced NFL Drafted team...they are gone!

The ones that struggled with Fresno and lost to ND are gone! That leaves a team that needs to gel my hope is they wait to gel until after we leave LA with their goalposts.

the closer we get to fall camp the more nervous im going to get. I was awfully nervous about or o-line last year, and my worries were correct. I never saw such a crappy line at NU in recent memory. correct me if i am wrong.

Well no correction here. But hopefully from working against the 1st team D come fall camp, they will get better since they have to go up against Carriker and Moore. Doing that should make them a better unit.

IMO there hasn't been a dominate line for more than 5 years. I sincerely hope the O line has learned their schemes and can be more consistent this year. Personally I think the BlACKSHIRTS will be a force to be reckoned with this fall. Safety may be an issue but our LB's and D line should more than make up for the inexperience in the D backfield. There could be a freshman that makes a difference on D too.

GBR

IMO there hasn't been a dominate line for more than 5 years. I sincerely hope the O line has learned their schemes and can be more consistent this year. Personally I think the BlACKSHIRTS will be a force to be reckoned with this fall. Safety may be an issue but our LB's and D line should more than make up for the inexperience in the D backfield. There could be a freshman that makes a difference on D too.

GBR

Watch out for juco Andre Jones as well. Hopefully he can pick up the schemes faster than Bowman, so we are not waiting til the end of the season for consistent play.

I think the O-Line will be better. I hear that D.J. Jones is looking great in the summer workouts. He is big, and if he's a fast learner, he could make an impact early.

don't get me wrong.........i am happy to have Kenny Wilson on board, but THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL Wilson can learn this offense and take over a starting spot in time to play USC......this guy is an idoit for saying/ thinking that too....again, i think Wilson will be good, but i just can't see him picking up enough of the O scheme to start that soon........

hunter

Being a former player Benning does get pretty good access to the team. Yet I have faith that the coaches have everything on the right track. My gut tells me that this years Nebraska-USC might be a classic like the Michigan game months ago. Carroll does have an extra week to game plan for Nebraska but the big if is whether his personnel will be up to speed by then. The ingredients are there for an upset!

Being a former player Benning does get pretty good access to the team. Yet I have faith that the coaches have everything on the right track. My gut tells me that this years Nebraska-USC might be a classic like the Michigan game months ago. Carroll does have an extra week to game plan for Nebraska but the big if is whether his personnel will be up to speed by then. The ingredients are there for an upset!

Yes they are there, but USC, lets face, has a boatload of players. Even with the loss of early defections and graduation, they have players all over the place just waiting. They didn't struggle a lick when Leinart took over for Palmer the first year. They won the NC. This game will be verrrrrry tough for the Huskers. I want to win it badly, but as long as we have solid effort and do not get embarrased, it will only be a positive as the season rolls forward.