Purify vs. USC

Aim9

Hello all- I've been hearing a lot of talk about whether or not Kenny Wilson would be ready to go for the USC game, but I haven't heard anything about Maurice Purify. I approach the USC game with a guarded optimism, but I think if NU really wants to take down the Trojans they will need a big-play breakaway receiver. Given NU's depth at the RB position, it seems as if Purify would be the more important factor at the USC game. Any thoughts as to whether or not Purify will be ready?

I agree about learning the O, so I think the coaches will have plays where they throw it high to Purify. Down inside the 20, the fade could become a big play for Purify.

Yeah, that will be a big play for him. I heard that no one outjumped him for a ball in JC. He would always come down with the ball. He will be a factor. The routes he runs initially may be limited, but they will definitely look his way because of how gifted he is. By the end of the season, he may be a starter.

I would have to agree that Purify will get limited playing time, but hopefully he can get in a downfield strike or two to loosen up their run defense. I always thought of him as a big-play receiver type, but I've also read that he was excellent at the jump ball. I could definitely see him making some some red zone catches this year, especially on the fade route.

I don't see him making a huge impact in the USC game because he probally won't have enought reps and Callahan tends to go with quite a few receivers during games. As the season progresses, he will start to have a larger impact but until then he will be just an occassional reciever used in just a few formations/situations.

By the end of the season, it will be interesting to see who is getting the most playing time. I think the two main guys will be Swift and Purify, with Nunn being a great third option. Plus if Herian can get back to health...this core could do very well.

i respectively disagree. i think nunn is going to catch most of the balls this year. and swif number two but very close to nunn. i think pirify will be used primarily as a deep threat. i just cant see terrance as number 3.

I'm interested to see if they will incorporate Tyrell Spain and Mo Purify on some of the same packages. We're constantly hearing about this staff's desire during the recruiting cycles for bigger bodied receivers to create space in a small area, so we should know within the first half of the season how it will shake out.