Ten years, 20 items on the Big 12

COMMENTARY: KIRK BOHLS

It seems like only yesterday the conference was born.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —

(1) Nebraska will never be Nebraska again.

Sorry, cornfed folk. Your Huskers will eventually win big again, but not with the intimidating dominance that we came to know under Tom Osborne. Lincoln won't ever be a destination point for the next Peyton Manning.

kbohls@statesman.com

dear mr. bohls,

suck our snausage!

sinceryly, huskernation.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —

Sorry, cornfed folk. Your Huskers will eventually win big again, but not with the intimidating dominance that we came to know under Tom Osborne. Lincoln won't ever be a destination point for the next Peyton Manning.

kbohls@statesman.com

dear mr. bohls,

suck our snausage!

sinceryly, huskernation.

Only hack :horns2

Nebraska will never be Nebraska again?

Well, let me just say this much- nobody will ever be Nebraska again. Because of the increases in spending and the new media coverage that non-traditional powerhouse teams are getting, the days of rolling over all your opponents by 50+pts are gone. There will never be a 95' Husker team again, sure. Will there ever be a 94' or a 97' Nebraska team again? You bet. Just look at how much more difficult all the traditional "softies" in the Big 12 are- Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, Kansas State, etc. These teams can now at least compete with the powerhouse programs in terms of both recruiting and gameplay. Look at last year- both USC and Texas were considered to be head and shoulders above all the other teams in the country, yet they had to pull several wins from out of their ass. (Ohio State, Texas A&M, Fresno St., Arizona St.)

Colorado has the toughest schedule?

Is this guy high or something? Has he looked at 60% of the rest of NCAA football's schedules? Oh no! Not unranked Colorado State! Not unranked Arizona State! Try #1 Texas, #2 USC, with a later showdown with Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game, who will probably be #1 in the country by then. I would have to agree with him in one respect though- the Big 12 championship is a colossal waste of time. All it does is cost teams in the Big 12 a shot at the title.

Oh and as to his comment about us never recruiting a Peyton Manning again-

What about the increasing number of blue chip recruits we have got? Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, Harrison Beck, Jordan Congdon, etc... We have been able to and will continue to be able to draw stars to Lincoln. (ironic that we beat Peyton as well)

Let's be honest. For the first time, in a long time, there are no clear teams that are picked to dominate the conference. IMHO, Texas, A&M, OU, Tech, Nebraska, or Iowa State could win it all. I think this year will be about the most competitive it's been in awhile. It's time, or should be soon, that in the cyclical pattern of college football for OU and tu to soon begin their downswing...or at least, I hope it is.

Sad enough as it is to say, I don't see Texas going anywhere for awhile. OU is going to remain near the top as long as Stoops is there and pulling blue chippers by the dozen. The team I can see dropping back is Texas Tech. If Leach bolts for greener pastures, they will have a big drop-off. At A&M, Franchione needs to prove why he was given that job.

No offense taken. In the South, I see Texas, OU, and Tech the likely candidates. Texas has no clear QB right now. Very young, inexperienced, and unproven. If anything, THAT is what will hurt them.

And I agree about A&M too. Fran has to show us something this year. The reason I threw us in there is that I think that A&M could be a real wild card. I don't think anyone really knows what to expect out of them last year. We had a horrible year last year, but the end of the season we started seeing some promise for this year.

The OWH had that two day story about the Longhorns, and it kind of makes me nervous. Now that the finally won, recruits really want to play there, and their class is already loaded. Plus all the money they spend on their team. Luckily for us they come to Lincoln as a lesser team than last year, and hopefully it will be a night game, and rocking. All we ave to do is prove we can play with these guys and the recruits will come to us.

Anyways, it's amazing what he said about winning the North, and how it has to be done, like we won't be dominating te North, and maybe the whole conference. Colorado has a new coach, as does KSUcks, Kansas has to replace their great D from a year ago, Brad Smith is gone from Missouri. The only reason ISU gives us problems is because it is in Aimes, and their O will be good, but so will ours as well as our D. I see us 5-0 in the North, with a slim win over ISU that will really show our character. It's funny though the lengths people will go to slam the Huskers...

Right now Texass is in a position that it doesnt need to do any real recruiting. Just look at the number of commits that they already have. Nu was in the same position during the last years of Osborne's tenure. Frank thought that was gong to continue and that was his down fall, he didnt go and really recruit. Texass will see the same thing happen to them if they continue to believe that everyone wants to be a longhorn. As for stoops, he is going to have problems if he doesnt get his assistants under control

The only team UT could dominate with an unproven QB with little to no experience is...well...NU :unsure:

Take a look at the record books, if you think I'm crazy. Yes, I want to be wrong, but this sh*t always seems to happen.

The only team UT could dominate with an unproven QB with little to no experience is...well...NU :unsure:

Take a look at the record books, if you think I'm crazy. Yes, I want to be wrong, but this sh*t always seems to happen.

Exactly. It has been frustrating all the losses to them we have had over the years, especially with young QB's. Applewhite in Lincoln in '98, same in '99, then Vince in 2003. The year before in Lincoln we should have won, but that horrible call at the end of the game. Hopefully we will end that string of wins by them this year.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Big 12 blew out 10 candles on its birthday cake last January, just about the time Texas' Vince Young was blowing past Southern California. You remember unbeatable USC, don't you?

Seems like yesterday that Texas' James Brown was coming through on his "guarantee" to upset another invincible team in the conference championship game, against the team formerly known as Nebraska.

When retiring Big 12 football director Donnie Duncan was asked what he learned from the league's first decade, he said, "The team with the best players wins."

But the Big 12 has schooled us in other football matters as well. Monday marked the opening of three media days otherwise known as "We Know Nobody Can Unseat Texas and Oklahoma but, Man, that Mike Leach is Funny."

However, after a decade of great football and Texas A&M games, too, we have learned that:

(2) Leach can turn a phrase and turn a decent program into the fourth-best in the league behind you-know-whom and Colorado. Asked about the Longhorns and Sooners, the Texas Tech coach said, "Those two guys are a nuisance to have around."

We can't shake the feeling, though, that Texas Tech will not hold onto the Mike Martz of the NCAA forever. Expect Leach at some West Coast site down the road.

(3) Texas is Texas again.

Now that the 35-year title drought has ended, the Longhorns have been reborn in Darrell Royal's image and will rise again, maybe as soon as next January.

(4) Iowa State needs a kicker.

No team that isn't coached by Bobby Bowden has missed more crucial kicks than the Cyclones, who have been booted from the last two Big 12 championship games because of wide kicks.

(5) Missouri needs a shrink. And a new coach.

Gary Pinkel has established himself as the worst coach in the league for the way he mishandled Brad Smith and blundered with a 29-30 record. He hasn't recruited well, and in five years has had just two players drafted in the first four NFL rounds.

(6) Other than Colorado's few transgressions, the football league has been relatively scandal-free. (Basketball's another story.)

Of course, that's like saying Richard Nixon's conduct was unimpeachable, save for that little eavesdropping incident at the Watergate Hotel.

(7) The Big 12 is a tough place to be if you're a head football coach interested in settling down. Of the dozen in place when this thing kicked off in 1996, only one remains on the job. That's Iowa State's Dan McCarney, the most underrated coach in the conference.

Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma State and Kansas are working on their third coaches. Guy Morriss is the fourth nameplate on Baylor's office door.

(8) Speaking of job security, somewhere between Tuscaloosa and College Station, Aggies boss Dennis Franchione lost his touch. And maybe his ability to relate to and motivate his players. If he doesn't regain it soon, he'll be pink-slipped out of big-time college football.

(9) Mack Brown could recruit Osama bin Laden into joining the United States Marines.

(10) The Big 12 failed miserably when it didn't mandate an annual Nebraska-Oklahoma game. Can you imagine the Big Ten without Michigan-Ohio State? It's not too late to reinstate it.

(11) Speaking of tradition, the Texas-OU game has enough staying power among fans that it remains in Dallas for the time being, but don't bet your last Fletcher's corny dog on it staying there forever. I still see it as a home-and-home affair, sadly.

(12) The conference championship game has been a disaster and complete waste of time.

It cost Nebraska, Kansas State and Texas shots at the ultimate title game and almost cost OU in 2003. And when's the last time we were even treated to a competitive game? The last three champions have won by a 147-13 margin. Abolish it now before it kills again.

(13) The league should unite and push hard for a postseason playoff and, barring that, a return to the BCS formula that included strength of schedule. Such could save college football from 12th-game boredom.

(14) We've learned through reputable sources that Baylor is, in fact, in the Big 12 and improving. As Morriss said, "We want to be a team to be reckoned with."

(15) Kansas' Mark Mangino is no Rachel Ray and will not soon be publishing a book on how to eat on $40 a day in every Big 12 city.

(16) It can get really cold in Ames, Iowa.

(17) Colorado will have the toughest non-conference schedule every year. Check out this year's slate: Colorado State in Denver. Arizona State. At Georgia.

(18) If you're not renovating or expanding your stadium, you're falling way behind. Are you listening, Colorado?

(19) The Big 12 is the second-best conference in America behind only the savage SEC, where the Jacksonville Jaguars would probably finish third.

(20) Some team will have to win the North and represent it in the Big 12 championship game. It's in the bylaws that someone has to.

kbohls@statesman.com

1)You over-optimistic mutha f*cka. You can only hope you have to stop writing about the best ever college football powerhouse ever. In retrospect, you write for the worst. Your pathetic crap-ass school might as well continue scheduling the patsies they do. And why are you mentioning that idiot from Miss/Tenn/Indy?!? We don't want him, didn't need him, and don't need his stupid-ass commercials. After all, what else is he good for? He doesn't win Superbowls.

2) "Y'all think I'm cool? Ya, I'm fixin to to be the biggest pimp in Lubbock!"

That shouldn't be hard. No, or little...pun intended.

3) QB's, QB's, QB's....who are they gonna be again? Last I checked, you better have an offensive leader...well, at least one who isn't laying on his back for the 7th time listening to the wise words of Carriker.

Corn/Red River North 2, Tejass 0

4) Why the hell are these chumps getting mentioned for anything? And a kicker? Someone needs to be kicked in the head for writing complete crap. An alien landing in Ames couldn't scare off any team wanting to get an easy win. Good luck Barney, you have no chance at Frank's babies' mama this year.

5) Brad is not elligible for nothing but inelligibility in the NCAA this year. Game over, Pinkie.

6) Those tamponsucks at CU are about as pure as the shi-ate I took on Longs Peak this summer. I hope it goes straight into the Boulder drinking water. Those bongheads woudn't even notice. You drunk f*cksticks couldn't even get that folding chair over the fence to hit my buddies' Jeep in 2001. Keep trying, someday you might not be a tool.

7) Hey Dan, hair is kinda getting away from you, huh. What does the wife think about that? You know what I mean. And counseling doesn't work.

8) I spoke to a member of the 'twelfphth man'. He immediately wanted to start talking about women's basketball. Now that's fine, because NU can beat those doggie bitches on the court, but now you can't talk about your proud football tradition?!? Grab your woman (don't ask, don't tell) next to you Nov. 11th, cuz you're gonna wish it was women's b-ball.

9) Yep, that's probably true. And Mack, Snap-on tools has some great ways to get that sandy, gritty taste out of your mouth too.

10) Yeah, that's an SOS. Please, OU. we've got way too many wannabes who want to replace you. You suck, but look at our alternatives. ;)

11) Let them both drown in that cesspool of a river.

12) there was only ONE genius that figured this one out, cough Osborne cough. But that's ok...I thoroughly ENJOYED watching sCUm get blown out.

13) Yep, the college football season bores the hell out of me. :hmmm

14) Baylor...welcome to Waco, home of the Branch Davidian (at least 74 dead) and basketball killers. We are a Christian University, come join us.

15) Feed my fat-ass. Please.

16) Like the bed of a reputible decent chick. Maybe you dipf*cks should investigate.

17) These ass-caps could have a difficult time with the Maryland Nursing Home School district # 48, the Belgian Waffle-Makers of America, or the Comicbook-man look-a-like run for stroodle marathon. But it is probably pretty difficult when you're tapping the donkey-ass because you're too near-sighted to get the date-rape drug into the pint glass cuz let's face it, you're so f'ing ugly, the feds will be there before you can try your pathetic sh*t..

18) Too busy with their donkeys. That kick has to hurt. Maybe they should take their own roofies.

19) My name is Bohls....Jaguar waterboy alum. I also had relations with the other members of the KSU football team. Loosley translated, they all love me. Just call me the 'Prince'.

20) What am I saying??? It won't be the purple pussies. But it's hard to say that when I hov sumtin en mun moufh.......