Breaking News!!!

Your assumptions are somewhat correct. But stating it has nothing to do with the University and program is totally incorrect. We are already hearing it.

The win at all cost stero type is the problem. It will be associated with BC forever over this. Not something he expected I am sure. College football is different than pro ball. I do not think he realized how this would turn out or maybe not to the level it will go.

Giving a kid a second chance is fine. We have done it many times. LP and JR, Peter are just a few that I can remember. But the press will run with this every single opportunity they get. Does the University need this is the question.

It took a big man to accept the responsiblity for this. I admire BC for having the courage to do it. I may not agree with it but I understand. I hope it was for the giving the kid a second chance and not the need for a quality player with baggage. I hope Culbert realizes the situation BC has put himself in. I hope he becomes an asset to the program. But the damage is done and it will resonate for quite awhile no matter the turn out of the player. The program/university will be soiled in the eyes of the fans/media ans some major boosters.

I have had several conversations with boosters in California and Texas and most were against this happening. All think BC is a great coach, but just did not feel we needed the bad publicity that comes with this kid.

I will support BC because of my strong support for him from day one. I just understand that this has made his job much tougher now and down the road.

How can you say all we are looking at is winning????? This kid has not even stepped onto the playing field. Yes he comes in as a highly rated High School player and has a lot of potential. But so did Ron Prowles, remember him, was supposed to win the Heisman 2-3 times at ND. and there are many many more examples out there.

Now if Major had been here at NU for 2 years already and started every game, was a freshman all-american his first year and 1st team all-american his second year and did something like this, then you might be right in saying that Callahan is doing nothing but thinking about winning.

So get off of you soap box, support the team and the coaches decision, and welcome Major to Lincoln and make him feel like he is wanted on this team.

Mayba just maybe Major has learned from this overblown accusation from those girls in whOregon and he can move on with his life as a student and football player at NU

How can you say all we are looking at is winning????? 

***SNIP***

Whoa! Slow down. What skersfan was saying is that the "Win at all costs" stereotype will be attached to NU by the media and other programs - he's not saying that NU or Callahan has that mentality.

He's right on that point. Even if giving the kid was the right choice, it media and other programs will still make the argument that NU and Callahan has that mentality even if it isn't true. That's all skersfan was saying.

In his earlier post, I think he was alluding to fans thinking this was a great thing because some fans have a "win-at-all-cost" mentality, which is not the tradition at NU.

I did not say I thought that was BC's thought. I stated that will be the interpatation of the media and fans of other major programs accross the country. Correct or not has no bearing. It will be associated with BC for the rest of his time at Nebraska. I could care less about Oregon or what goes on there. My only concern is the University of Nebraska, not just our football team.

TO has suffered for LP since it happened and it is still mentioned that he was a win at any cost coach due to it.

We tend to look only from our side, the majority of the people are on the other side looking in. I just do not think that factored in as heavily as it should have.

Most on the boards made comments about Pete Carrol and the Sanchez deal. He was a win at any cost coach. The charges were dropped and we still made the comments. You just can not have it both ways.

maybe I am looking at this through rose colored glasses, but i am sure BC got some input from the University and boosters and had a background check done to see if this was an approiate thing to do. we as Husker fans have come to understand that with winning comes some sour grapes.

I do not think BC did this as anything other than giving a kid we need and can use a chance at bettering himself and of course helping the team out. i am sure he knows the risk he has taken. when you are dealing with young adults most are gambles and I am sure that BC would have pulled the offer if it looked like it was a bad gamble.

I understand the public opinion aspect, but there are times when you have to do what YOU feel is right, not what the public opinion thinks is right. BC has way more information at his disposal about this kid than I do and I will trust his decision until proven wrong.

Your concernes are very valid, we just disagree on some things.

GBR

Well.....I have not heard anyone berating Oregon for allowing the other player with the same plea bargin to keep his scholarship and welcoming him with open arms.

It all has to be the Media's hatred of NU, and the fact that NU has been on the top for so long. They are always going to find something to bash NU with, and if they have to go back 10 years and pull out the LP card, well ..................F**K-EM

Thanks for the defense AR Husker.

I look at this a little different than most. I have been a booster for over 25 years now. I have donated a considerable amout of money to the University, not just the football team. I want our University/Program to be above reproach. That is where my concern is at.

I truly think BC did this to help the kid, but I feel he will be drug over the coals for this for as long as he is here no matter the out come of the player.

That is my concern.

I have seen the troubled look on TO's face anytime LP is mentioned. It hurt him more than anything that ever happened at Nebraska. A great man that has a black mark next to his name for only trying to help a young kid. I know it truly bothers him.

I would just rather not had BC go through this.

I think that the trouble look on TO face when ever LP's name is brought up is that he actually feels bad for LP. Tom did what he thought was right for LP, he new that football was the only thing that LP had in his life.....had TO been able to see into the future and take a look at how LP would waste his talents and his life away I am sure that TO would have kicked him off of the team with no regrets

I have donated money to the U also. I have followed it very closely. I agree with giving Major this chance 100%!!!!!!!!

He is a kid, with no previous criminal record and was in the wrong place at the wrong time PERIOD. He did not commit a crime that should damage his life completely and send him down the road of a criminal. Just like LP he needs and deserves the chance at the life he has given blood, sweat and tears for. LP is not really comparable to Major, TOTALLY different circomstances. I think the same mind set was used. LP had nothing else and football was his only chance at a successfull life. Major has the ability to be very successfull and should be given the chance as well. Hmmmmm is Calli thinking a little like Dr. Tom? PROPS!!!!!! These decisions are made for the right reasons!

:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

Also do not forget this is a University and I believe the University is there to TEACH life skills and educate students, not just student athletes. He will have the oportunity to get his life started in a possitive, constructive maner.

Piss on all the self improtant assfaces that hate the Huskers. (friggin bandwagoners) You know what they say " when you dominate a sport, the fans either LOVE you or Hate you, no happy medium". WE ROCK! :horns2:horns2:horns2:smokin

Thanks for the defense AR Husker.

I look at this a little different than most. I have been a booster for over 25 years now. I have donated a considerable amout of money to the University, not just the football team. I want our University/Program to be above reproach. That is where my concern is at.

I truly think BC did this to help the kid, but I feel he will be drug over the coals for this for as long as he is here no matter the out come of the player.

That is my concern.

I have seen the troubled look on TO's face anytime LP is mentioned. It hurt him more than anything that ever happened at Nebraska. A great man that has a black mark next to his name for only trying to help a young kid. I know it truly bothers him.

I would just rather not had BC go through this.

First off, thank you for your support over the last 25 years.

I still am trying to figure out WHY we have to worry about what other people think. Look on the stadium at the acidemic all americans. Name another school that has that many. When was the last time we were investigated like the teams of lou holtz and others. Our program is BETTER than anyone elses because of people like TO. If I were you I would be more concerned with what SP does behind the scenes that what BC does in the open.

I am the kind of person that could care less what other people think if I know in my heart that what I am doing is above board and legal. Other people will try to drag us down whether we helped out this kid or not. you cannot live with your head in the sand and worry about everyone else before any decision is made.

i agree with Husker Rob, not because he is my brother, but because I am tired of us worring what people will think. WE ARE THE HUSKER NATION each and everyone of us. If people do not like us. to bad

From all the articles I have read on this in Oregon, Major and the other recruit were invted back to a couple of girls dorms. This was after a party or what ever (can't remember). They were all for sitting on the bed talking (or whatever) Then Major and one of the girls ended up by the door against the wall. The girl said she was pinned against the wall. Major touched her in an "inapropriate" place. At that point, the girls asked both recruits to leave. She then stated that she had to push them out of the room and close the door. (Must be a big bi*ch to muscle him out the door)

The sex abuse was from the touching.

The burglary was from not leaving emediately.

This is what I have read in the papers here in Orgeon.

No disrespect to the girls or anything, but IF they were at a party, and suddenly went back up to the dorms, what were they expecting. To play a board game. I wasn't there, so don't know the situation fully, but if you are at a party and then go somewhere to be alone, most of the time it means something is going to happen. Just an opinion.

Sounds to me like these girls were trying to lead on the "little recruits" and got more than they bargained for. I've seen this situation before and it always gets blown WAY out of proportion. I'm guessing the girls just did this to make it seem like they weren't sluts. Or maybe they're working for CU and trying to get our recruits in trouble so they can't play or come to NU.