How do you explain this to your children?

The reason why this country is the way it is isn't because people are denying an election outcome on November 3rd.

The reason why this country is in the condition it is in right now is because it:

• Refuses to look at the bitter history of this country
  • Refuses to admit that Politics are intertwined in Race Relations
  • Refuses to even ADMIT that much of the history in this country has happened
  • Refuses to TEACH much of the country of said history.
  • Puts "patriotism" on a pedestal
  • Ties one's "patriotism" to their religious beliefs
  • Plus1 3

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm trying to figure out why two people thought the OP was funny.

Heh, I just now noticed that (now three people, actually). I don't think I unintentionally made a funny in the OP. I suppose some people think it is laughable to have discussions with our children about current events, or to teach them about civics, or teach them how to care about others?:dunno

I am genuinely curious how Trump supporters teach their children to behave and reconcile those expectations with Trump's behavior and their unwavering support for him. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I am genuinely curious how Trump supporters teach their children to behave and reconcile those expectations with Trump's behavior and their unwavering support for him. 

My sister and brother-in-law supported Trump... not like 'MAGA' levels, but they were pretty invested. Their kids are 6 and 3 so maybe not the best case study - I don't think they talked about much of anything political with them. I also know their kids don't watch much news TV so it'd be interesting to hear from parents of like... kids between the ages of like 8-13 or something.

That said, I think the answer might be straightforward. People make excuses for politicians all the time so I imagine a lot of the "reconciliation" is much the same as the way people reconcile these things themselves.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

My sister and brother-in-law supported Trump... not like 'MAGA' levels, but they were pretty invested. Their kids are 6 and 3 so maybe not the best case study - I don't think they talked about much of anything political with them. I also know their kids don't watch much news TV so it'd be interesting to hear from parents of like... kids between the ages of like 8-13 or something.

That said, I think the answer might be straightforward. People make excuses for politicians all the time so I imagine a lot of the "reconciliation" is much the same as the way people reconcile these things themselves.

Listening to the middle schoolers in my building who were Trump supporters, I'd imagine the discussions at home are along the lines of "Dems are evil because they are pro-abortion and want to make the USA a communist country."  Not sure if they got it from their parents, but that's the way the few "Trump tweeners" talked.

Knowing the Trump supporters in my life, it's definitely believable. 

• Plus1 1