Statehood for Puerto Rico and/or DC?? Other possible states

Statehood  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, and I live in a heavily hispanic area.  AND...these people have hispanic friends.  BUT.....when they aren't around, they sit around talking about how we great Trump is because he's stopping the infestation of all those Mexicans that are all criminals and bringing disease into the country.  Wonder where they got that idea.

Have you ever heard Mexicans talk about Guatamalans? El Salvadorians? Prejudice isn't going away. Ever.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

yes.  But, that really doesn't have anything to do with this conversation, does it?

Meh. Kinda. I think Hispanics are being Incorporated, and accepted in this country just fine. Even in places where most would assume they aren't being excepted. That's good. Expecting people to not talk bad about them is ridiculously optimistic. It doesn't happen for anybody. Tribalism will always be relevant.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't know that a person would still be able to discount that. The promises of financial aid, in various forms, can convince people of a lot of things....

I meant to comment on this but forgot.

I find these comments interesting when, like I said, I live in a very heavy hispanic population and I don't see homeless Mexicans hanging out just waiting for a handout.  They are here really because they want a job are are willing to work.  It really is part of the conservative mindset that you even talk about.  They don't want handouts.  They want an opportunity to work and better their lives.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Meh. Kinda. I think Hispanics are being Incorporated, and accepted in this country just fine. Even in places where most would assume they aren't being excepted. That's good. Expecting people to not talk bad about them is ridiculously optimistic. It doesn't happen for anybody. Tribalism will always be relevant.

yes, I think they are being accepted too.  But.....then why should America support a President that feeds racism against this group that the majority of Americans don't find offensive.  So....you don't find it odd and concerning when people sit around and talk openly about wanting productive people in the community to be deported because they don't want those brown people here?

And....yes....Mexican's attitude towards other groups really doesn't have anything to do with this.  We are talking about American's attitude towards Mexicans.  Their attitude towards people farther south really isn't pertinent.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

yes, I think they are being accepted too.  But.....then why should America support a President that feeds racism against this group that the majority of Americans don't find offensive.  So....you don't find it odd and concerning when people sit around and talk openly about wanting productive people in the community to be deported because they don't want those brown people here?

And....yes....Mexican's attitude towards other groups really doesn't have anything to do with this.  We are talking about American's attitude towards Mexicans.  Their attitude towards people farther south really isn't pertinent.  

It's pertinent, because it's evidence that it's just what people do. It isn't a white man thing.

I don't find those conversations overly concerning, because I don't think they happen that much. 

People supported Trump because they thought he was protecting a variety of their interests. It's not excuse for overlooking his obvious racism, but I don't think many voted for him 'because' he's racist.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

People supported Trump because they thought he was protecting a variety of their interests. It's not excuse for overlooking his obvious racism, but I don't think many voted for him 'because' he's racist.

I find the bolded interesting. I believe a lot of people voted for him because he was willing to openly say the racist things he did.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find the bolded interesting. I believe a lot of people voted for him because he was willing to openly say the racist things he did.

I think a lot of people are worried about their guns (whether they actually should be or not), abortion is a huge issue in the religious community.... I've never heard one person in my circle say they voted for him because he was saying racist things.

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/09/09/puerto-rico-statehood-politics-democrats-republicans-senate-409191

Seems that while mainland Puerto Ricans tend to vote liberal, those on the PR island do carry conservative values. Which makes sense, because, as I've said on here before, the Hispanics I know have a lot of conservative values. I've long suggested that the GOP embrace the influx of Mexicans into our country. 

BUT, their political leanings make no difference to me. I'd have to be convinced that statehood would be beneficial. This country has enough debt, not sure we need to take on a state with a 44% poverty rate. 

If we're itching to add a state, add Guam. Less poverty, and a much greater strategic option, I would think.

No offense, but this is one of the s#!ttiest takes I've heard. They are US citizens. They're poverty is already our problem, and a reflection of our failures.

• Plus1 3

• 2 weeks later...

PR perhaps getting closer to statehood.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/gov-pedro-pierluisi-e2-80-98puerto-rico-will-be-the-first-truly-hispanic-state-e2-80-99/ar-BB1efupw

The push to make Puerto Rico the 51st state follows a referendum last year in which 52.5% of voters on the island said they are in favor of permanently joining the American union as a state. Though detractors worry the island would potentially lose some of its cultural identity, for Pierluisi that is not a concern.

To the contrary, he says: “Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state.”

The bill is one of several initiatives the island’s new governor is pushing at home and in Washington aimed at finding long-term solutions to the myriad problems facing the U.S. territory.

Pierluisi took office Jan. 2 at a time when the island is facing multiple crises: the pandemic, multibillion-dollar debt, a series of earthquakes still rattling the island, as well as ongoing recovery from Hurricane Maria, which killed thousands and demolished critical infrastructure.

In his first month, the governor declared two states of emergency: one to combat gender violence and another to address Puerto Rico’s steep fiscal bind.

• Plus1 1