Beck missing

This is total opposite of the kid that I saw at a press conferance about a year and a half ago. To me he seemed arrogant and full of himself. I don't hate anyone. I like the guy, but he needed to relise this is BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL! I don't think he is as good as all the press clippings said he was. Can anyone say Curt Dukes????

this is online in the paper

Nebraska sophomore quarterback Harrison Beck, apparently upset over lack of practice time, skipped Saturday’s practice, only the Huskers’ third of the season.

Coaches were initially concerned they couldn’t locate Beck, who was with the team in the morning but disappeared shortly after noon. Evelyn Beck-Bothwell, Beck’s mother, said her son text-messaged her late Saturday afternoon with the message, “I’m safe.”

Beck-Bothwell said her son has been frustrated because he’s not getting enough practice repetitions. She said junior Joey Ganz is receiving the brunt of the snaps behind senior returning starter Zac Taylor.

“Maybe if he would’ve stayed in the SEC, he would’ve been playing,” Beck-Bothwell said of her son, a Clearwater, Fla., native, and a highly touted high school player in the 2005 recruiting class. “Maybe he made the wrong decision, I don’t know. He knows that playbook. It’s just an issue of not getting respect from the older players.

“It’d be different if he was sitting behind Matt Leinart or Brady Quinn. Zac’s OK; I wish him all the best, but he’s just OK. The bottom line is, my son isn’t learning anything. He’s just on his own. If he got more time and attention from the coaches, he would be ahead of (Taylor). That’s just my opinion, but I’m his mother.”

Callahan, who addressed the media after practice regarding Beck’s absence, said through Nebraska media relations that he didn’t want to respond to Beck-Bothwell’s comments until he had a chance to talk to Beck.

Calls from the Journal Star to Beck’s cell phone late Saturday afternoon went directly to voice mail.

After practice, Callahan said Beck had given no indication of unhappiness.

“No, not at all,” Callahan said. “I’ve talked to the players about it, and it really comes as a real surprise and shock to all of us right now.”

How had Beck been performing during the first two practices?

“Pretty good,” Callahan said. “Really, very well, in fact. We’ve been very encouraged.”

At Thursday’s press conference to open Nebraska’s fall camp, sophomore running back Cody Glenn said Beck had been working on becoming more focused.

“Harrison, he’s the kind of guy who’s got all of the physical tools, he can throw it a mile, he can throw it harder than anybody else I’ve seen in my life,” Glenn said. “But he has to mature a little more. You saw it a lot during 7-on-7 stuff this past summer, how he’d come in and take control and try to be more of a leader, as opposed to last year, where he kind of goofed off and jacked around. This year, it’s like a totally different Harrison.”

Said Beck-Bothwell: “I know he has some growing up to do, but it’d not like he’s getting in trouble. He’s doing everything he’s supposed to do.”

Lets make sure that we stay positive with whatever happens. We all know that the players probably read these message boards and dont need to start knocking the kid for an article in the newspaper.

He is only 18 and being listed at #2 for NU has got to be alot of pressure for someone that young.