Beck missing

Beck a no-show at NU practice

By Rich Kaipust

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

NU Notes: No front-line changes so far for Blackshirts

LINCOLN - Staring at what he perceived to be as a No. 4 spot on the Nebraska football depth chart might have led quarterback Harrison Beck to skip the Huskers' third practice, his mother said Saturday night.

Click to Enlarge

Harrison Beck

In the fallout, Beck's exact whereabouts and future with the team were unknown.

Evelyn Bothwell said she believed her son was in Lincoln, but had missed a call from Beck and received only a text message saying he was safe and that she shouldn't worry. Beck could not be reached for comment Saturday night.

"He doesn't want to talk to anybody right now," Bothwell said. "I don't know what else to tell you."

Going off what Beck had told her the day before, however, she said the sophomore-to-be was frustrated by how preseason camp had started for him.

"He showed up Day Two and was listed No. 4, and he blew a gasket after that," Bothwell said. "He called me and said, 'They've got me as No. 4.'

"I don't know why it was done that way. My best guess is because he was injured in the spring. I told him, 'It's Day Two, take a chill pill.' But he said he got something like four reps in practice that day, and I don't think he feels he's getting what he needs to get. He has the potential to be a great player."

Zac Taylor is the clear No. 1 quarterback after starting last season. Other than Taylor and Beck, the Huskers' other returnees are Joe Ganz and Beau Davis, and it was Ganz who finished spring practice No. 2 behind Taylor as Beck nursed shoulder and hamstring injuries.

Bothwell made several other comments off the record in a phone interview from Clearwater, Fla., but said "it's his life" and "it's his decision" when asked if the current situation could lead him to leave NU.

"I don't know if he feels he fits in out there," she said. "I don't know what he'll decide to do. He hasn't done anything like this before, so we have to respect that what he's done he has a reason for doing."

Callahan said Saturday night through NU sports information that he was aware Beck was OK but would have no further comment. After practice, he had said the staff was concerned about Beck and had sent people looking for him.

Beck was with the team for a morning walk-through and lunch, then did not report for afternoon meetings.

"I asked all the players, talked to all the players about it, and it really comes as a real surprise and shock to all of us right now," Callahan said.

NU coaches and players had commented about Beck dropping nearly 25 pounds and reporting for camp with a more businesslike approach. Beck turned down interview requests after practice on both Thursday and Friday.

NU receiver Nate Swift said Beck seemed like the "same old Harrison" when they last talked. Others declined comment Saturday or said they hadn't even noticed Beck was gone at first.

Asked how things had been going for Beck, Callahan said: "Pretty good, really. Very well, in fact. We've been encouraged from what we've saw in the very short period that we started this training camp."

Beck has made a minimal impact at Nebraska since arriving as Callahan's first ballyhooed recruit at quarterback, but still won't turn 19 until Sept. 1.

After having his redshirt pulled late last season, he appeared in two games and completed just 1 of 10 passes for 21 yards. His hopes of solidifying the No. 2 job in spring practice were then disrupted by his missed practice time.

Oh and it's cracking me up how some of you are selling him down the river when, really, we don't know what's going on. We got mama Beck saying God knows what, no one else knows.

OWH has an article up now.

All due respect, but it sounds like Momma Beck is pretty involved with her son's career.

This just reeks of a kid who doesn't have maturity.

And I don't want someone like that leading this team...

From what I understand Beck blew a fuse when he saw he was 4th on the depth chart. It makes me wonder just how he was actually doing in practice.

The thing is, we are in DAY 2 of fall ball. Day 2.

As the article states, Callahan said he had been doing well so far.

If he had a problem with being listed 4th, yes, he should have came to the coaches instead of running off.

The kid's frustrated, probably with what happened in the spring which led him to where he is now. If he'd just practice, I'd be he'd be right back up with No.2 by La Tech.

Was-

Did you want Culbert on the team after what he allegedly did? The fact is some of these kids are fresh out of high school. Yea it would be great if crap like this didn't happen, but it does and it get's dealt with. If we kicked every kid off the team that pulled something like this, we'd have no Leon, Culbert, and Beck. Not to mention players in the past. Crouch comes to mind specifically.

i dont like this one bit this a complete and utter distration to the team and we just entered fall camp we got a f*ckin game in less than a month we dont need this now

grow some your hair on your chest and grow the f*ck up

No doubt. It doesn't show a lot of maturity on his part.

We all have to remember that this guy is still 18 years old. Think about it -- 18. And I can also belive that probably half of the team at one point in there career has contimplated on staying or leaving. Now this 18 year old, with a mom who really needs to learn how to be quiet, is lost. I feel for him, but at the same time there are 18 year olds with bullets flying by there head that grasp the concept of maturity, respect and commitment. If he truly, truly wants to stay I say keep him practicing normally (but most in doubt with some stomach puking jogs) and suspend him for the first two games. But personnally, I think he transfers. Hope not.....

oh for the love of mike!

just yesterday i posted about how much i admired how beck was keeping silent and i speculated that it had to do level of maturity and hasn't done a 'crouch'.

so what does he do less than 24 hours later? he flips out 'cause he's number 4 on the depth chart!

... i shoulda keept my big trap shut...

Zac Taylor is the clear No. 1 quarterback after starting last season. Other than Taylor and Beck, the Huskers' other returnees are Joe Ganz and Beau Davis, and it was Ganz who finished spring practice No. 2 behind Taylor as Beck nursed shoulder and hamstring injuries.

nobody is perfect. i'm suspecting if he would have gone to the coaches asked about placement, they would have given him the straight story: he was injured and until it looks like he's 100%, he's not anything higher.

it was an impersonal coaching decision that was blown *way* outta proportion by a kid who's still 18.

i'm not willing to write of beck. i still think deep down he's a good kid. i'm thinking he just saw the chart and let it get to him. hopefully, he won't do anything rash.