Conference Realignment Rumors

On 11/17/2023 at 10:55 PM, Mavric said:

Explain it to me like I'm 5. Why is this something the BigXII wants? I thought realignment was all about football. Gonzaga doesn't have that program. I can't imagine adding a basketball school will bring that much extra revenue to the BigXII from media contracts and dilutes the shares. Would the addition even bring enough revenue in to offset the share that the Zags would get?

Also, why would Gonzaga want to do this? They have a pretty sweet deal in the WCC where they get a bigger portion of the revenue and have the power to run the league. Going to the BigXII, they will get a smaller portion of the revenue and have an increased cost in transportation and be the after thought school in all decisions. Add in they no longer will be playing glorified DII schools in conference, goodbye being a top seed and dollars to donuts they will be no higher than 4th seed in the BigXII tournaments. If the Zags are really looking to move, it would be a better fit sports wise to go to the Big East and bring St Marys and maybe USanFran and St Louis too

On 11/19/2023 at 10:05 PM, Madcows said:

Explain it to me like I'm 5. Why is this something the BigXII wants? I thought realignment was all about football. Gonzaga doesn't have that program. I can't imagine adding a basketball school will bring that much extra revenue to the BigXII from media contracts and dilutes the shares. Would the addition even bring enough revenue in to offset the share that the Zags would get?

Also, why would Gonzaga want to do this? They have a pretty sweet deal in the WCC where they get a bigger portion of the revenue and have the power to run the league. Going to the BigXII, they will get a smaller portion of the revenue and have an increased cost in transportation and be the after thought school in all decisions. Add in they no longer will be playing glorified DII schools in conference, goodbye being a top seed and dollars to donuts they will be no higher than 4th seed in the BigXII tournaments. If the Zags are really looking to move, it would be a better fit sports wise to go to the Big East and bring St Marys and maybe USanFran and St Louis too

I don't really understand it either other than Yormark likes Gonzaga and he wants to bid out the football and basketball separately.  Last I had read quite a few Big XII schools were pretty lukewarm on the idea of adding Gonzaga.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...