Irregular News for 08.21.06

Australia -- A teenage Christian has been banned from wearing a treasured crucifix by her high school.

Jamie Derman, 17, said she was stunned when told she could be suspended from Sunbury Downs Secondary College if she did not remove it.

Her discreet cross was outlawed as part of the multicultural college's new rules on jewellery and dress.

But major churches were united yesterday in criticising the ban, with some saying it thwarted students' religious aspirations.

Ms Derman said she was being discriminated against and prevented from displaying her belief.

"`I am angry, confused and upset," the teenager said.

"I honestly believe I should be allowed to acknowledge (my Christianity).

"Being told to take it off hurts. It cuts really deep."

The cross, which she bought during a family pilgrimage to England, had immense sentimental value because she had lost her baptism gifts, Ms Derman said.

"I can't understand why it is not all right for me to wear a cross," she said.

"I honestly felt like crying."

Her furious father, Gordon, criticised the school and said it was the equivalent of ordering a female Muslim student to take off a religious head dress.

"Nobody should take offence to anybody wearing a religious sign," Mr Derman said.

"She has a right to wear it. I believe it is discriminatory. If we had a Muslim girl come wearing a headscarf, nobody would say `boo' about it."

Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne auxiliary bishop Christopher Prouse said genuine Christians should be allowed to wear a crucifix without question.

"A reasonable demonstration of one's faith is something Australians should rejoice in," Bishop Prouse said.

"People's religious aspirations need to be respected."

Anglican Bishop John Wilson, bishop administrator of the Anglican archdiocese of Melbourne, said the wearing of a cross reminded Christians of their faith and could be a source of comfort and strength.

The Uniting Church also questioned the ban.

"Wearing discreet religious symbols is a normal part of life, " a church spokesman said.

source

Was and is the rule applicable to all students, and for all religious items? If so, I dont' have a problem with it. It's a school, after all, not a church.

The problem arises only if the school doesn't apply the rule equally.

EDIT: Just noticed something. The article doesn't say the cross was banned because it was a religious item. In fact, from all indications in the article, it was banned because it was jewelry.

That changes things considerably. Think of it like this - if the school banned is against necklaces, then the ban was not against a religious item - it was against a necklace. Nothing wrong there.

Was and is the rule applicable to all students, and for all religious items? If so, I dont' have a problem with it. It's a school, after all, not a church.

The problem arises only if the school doesn't apply the rule equally.

EDIT: Just noticed something. The article doesn't say the cross was banned because it was a religious item. In fact, from all indications in the article, it was banned because it was jewelry.

That changes things considerably. Think of it like this - if the school banned is against necklaces, then the ban was not against a religious item - it was against a necklace. Nothing wrong there.

Principals and school officials are cracking down on many things like this.

If they ban crosses here then they should also ban people from wear chadora's (sic) and other religious traps also. The Aussie's have to do what their constitution dictates. Our constitution is up for interpretation by the highest bidders and the most despicable reason political partisanship. IMO

GBR

Irregular News for 08.21.06

Australia -- A teenage Christian has been banned from wearing a treasured crucifix by her high school.

Jamie Derman, 17, said she was stunned when told she could be suspended from Sunbury Downs Secondary College if she did not remove it.

Her discreet cross was outlawed as part of the multicultural college's new rules on jewellery and dress.

It sounds a little confusing. If it's jewelry, then the rules are rules. By the story talks more about the type of jewelry (crucifix). I think it's unfortuante. Especially if someone is proud of their faith to wear a cross around there neck.

As for here in the states, I wish they would bring back the "Pledge of Alliegence" in schools. I dont know the answer why they ever did get rid of it, maybe because it mentioned God? I'll have to google it.

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,one Nation under God,indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

As for here in the states, I wish they would bring back the "Pledge of Alliegence" in schools.  I dont know the answer why they ever did get rid of it, maybe because it mentioned God?  I'll have to google it.

They can say the "Pledge of Allegence" all they want in private schools, but not in public schools. Since we are a nation of so many different religions and beliefs, there is no way to adhere to all of them, adhereing to one and forcing others with different views to adhere to it as well, would not be religious freedom. What if it was changed to "One Nation under Shiva" or "One Nation under Zeus"?

I do not think that their banning of a cross is strike against christianity, but strick compliance to a school rule about jewelry.

What if it was changed to "One Nation under Shiva" or "One Nation under Zeus"?

I do not think that their banning of a cross is strike against christianity, but strick compliance to a school rule about jewelry.

What if it was changed to "One Nation, under bubble gum and pixie sticks"...

:) I'm just kidding with you. I know it's not the case. And you make sense. I just couldnt resist. :)

Come to think of it, you're right. When I went to private schools, we did say it, and then in public schools we didnt. I just always liked it. As for the girl, yeah rules are rules and she needs to follow them. If I was in her shoes, I would carry the cross/crucifix in my pocket and move along.

What if it was changed to "One Nation under Shiva" or "One Nation under Zeus"?

What if it was changed to "One Nation, under bubble gum and pixie sticks"...

:) I'm just kidding with you. I know it's not the case. And you make sense. I just couldnt resist. :)

Come to think of it, you're right. When I went to private schools, we did say it, and then in public schools we didnt. I just always liked it. As for the girl, yeah rules are rules and she needs to follow them. If I was in her shoes, I would carry the cross/crucifix in my pocket and move along.

Exactly! There is no need for "bling" (me trying to be hip) to the be-all/end-all of your faith. No need to where a cross to be a christian. Christianity is how one leads their life and treats other people, not getting bent out of shape over an object probably made in Taiwan. If the girl's conviction to christianity is so strong, she would understanding of the schools policies, reasons for those policies, and say a prayer.

1 Peter 3:3-4

3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Wow, I am actually sounding like a christian! :hmmph