Keller is right pick for starting QB

DaveH

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articl...23asuqb-ON.html

Heat on ASU after QB flip-flop

Greg Boeck

USA TODAY

Aug. 23, 2006 06:55 PM

TEMPE, Ariz. - Rudy Carpenter stayed up until 4 a.m. Saturday debating with his father whether to leave the Arizona State football team after losing a high-profiled quarterback duel against Sam Keller.

Now, after a controversial flip-flop that has put Sun Devils coach Dirk Koetter and the team under a white-hot microscope, the sophomore quarterback is the central figure in a soap opera-like drama a week before the opener against Northern Arizona.

Keller? The senior, who nearly engineered wins against LSU and Southern California before injuries sidelined him at midseason, told the Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star on Wednesday he was transferring to Nebraska. He would have to sit out this season.

The Sun Devils, possible contenders in the Pacific-10 with another high-powered offense and an improved defense, returned to practice Tuesday after a tumultuous weekend.

"People are really making a big deal about this," Carpenter said. "I'm sure it's a pretty big deal. People want to read into it I complained to coach or Sam has off-the-field issues. It doesn't matter what the problems are. What matters is we have a game and we're going to play with the players we have. I miss Sam, but in some respects, business is business."

This hardly was business as usual, however. Keller started Arizona State's first seven games last season before shoulder and thumb injuries sidelined him with the Sun Devils 3-4. Carpenter replaced him, finished first nationally in passing efficiency and led the Sun Devils to a 4-1 finish that included a bowl win in which he was named MVP.

Koetter announced the job was up for grabs when fall practice began earlier this month. The intense battle seemingly ended last Friday when Koetter named Keller the starter, saying he deserved the job because of his loyalty and the sacrifices he made. In the intrasquad game that night, however, a frustrated and angry Carpenter outplayed Keller.

Saturday, after a long night of soul-searching, Carpenter met with Koetter. "There's no question, yeah, I went to talk to Coach Koetter," said Carpenter, who admits he seriously considered transferring. "I did have a problem with the way things happened."

That same day, Koetter met with the team's senior leadership council, made up of about 15 players. The hour-long meeting was described as a tug of war by senior wide receiver Terry Richardson, who said at a news conference Sunday it became a shouting match among players at one point.

No one has disclosed what issues were discussed, but the day ended with Koetter naming Carpenter the starter, a switch announced Sunday with Koetter saying he made a mistake.

The fallout measured a 7.0 on the football Richter scale, raising a flurry of questions, among them: Who's running the team, the seniors or Koetter? Will the controversy bring the team together or divide it? What issues concerned the leadership group about Keller? Why didn't Koetter seek the seniors' advice before making his decision?

"Because," he said, "there was nothing to meet with them about. I didn't need their help until the situation presented itself as it did." What situation? "It was just a talk," senior tackle Andrew Carnahan said of the meeting. "That's all I'm going to say."

Koetter said the final decision was his. "The leadership group was mature, thoughtful and thorough in their discussion of the situation, and they gave good input into what was best for our team. I'd be foolish not to listen."

Koetter had said the door was open for Keller to return, but that was before he appeared in Lincoln. USA TODAY was not able to reach either Keller or his father, Mike, on Wednesday.

This is clearly Carpenter's team now. Having the seniors back him meant a lot, he said. "They recognize all the hard work I put in. You have to have the respect of the guys."

Said Koetter, "Our team believes in Rudy."

Carnahan said the issue brought the team together. "It's helped some people emerge as leaders." Asked if the issue could undermine Koetter's authority, he said, "Absolutely not."

Carpenter agreed. "Everyone is always going to find a way to bag Coach Koetter. What if he didn't do that? What if it was some other subject and the team revolted against him and everybody would be mad he didn't listen to his players? I trust what he does, and the players do."

But if this can't bring the team closer? Said Carpenter, "If it can't, I don't think we deserve to win many games."

I really lost a lot of respect for their coach. He claims that it was his decision but his actions would say other wise. The coach is suppose to have absolute power on the football team and I think he lost most of it when he decided to listen to his players on who they thought should be the quarterback.

Arizona State tries to get back to normal after flip-flopping Keller for Carpenter

By Greg Boeck, USA TODAY

TEMPE, Ariz. — Rudy Carpenter stayed up until 4 a.m. Saturday debating with his father whether to leave the Arizona State football team after losing a high-profile quarterback duel against Sam Keller.

Now, after a controversial flip-flop that has put Sun Devils coach Dirk Koetter and the team under a white-hot microscope, the sophomore quarterback is the central figure in a soap opera-like drama a week before the opener against Northern Arizona.

Keller? The senior, who nearly engineered wins against LSU and Southern California before injuries sidelined him at midseason, is transferring to Nebraska, coach Bill Callahan announced Wednesday night. Keller will have to sit out this season.

The Sun Devils, possible contenders in the Pacific-10 with another high-powered offense and an improved defense, returned to practice Tuesday after a tumultuous weekend.

"People are really making a big deal about this," Carpenter said. "I'm sure it's a pretty big deal. People want to read into it (that) I complained to Coach or Sam has off-the-field issues. It doesn't matter what the problems are. What matters is we have a game, and we're going to play with the players we have. I miss Sam, but in some respects, business is business."

This hardly was business as usual, however. Keller started Arizona State's first seven games last season before shoulder and thumb injuries sidelined him with the Sun Devils 3-4. Carpenter replaced him, finished first nationally in passing efficiency and led the Sun Devils to a 4-1 finish that included a bowl win in which he was named MVP.

Koetter announced the job was up for grabs when fall practice began earlier this month. The intense battle seemingly ended last Friday when Koetter named the 6-4, 230-pound Keller the starter, saying he deserved the job because of his loyalty and the sacrifices he made. In the intrasquad game that night, however, a frustrated and angry Carpenter, 6-2, 207, outplayed Keller.

Saturday, after a long night of soul-searching, Carpenter met with Koetter. "There's no question, yeah, I went to talk to Coach Koetter," said Carpenter, who admits he seriously considered transferring. "I did have a problem with the way things happened."

That same day, Koetter met with the team's senior leadership council, made up of about 15 players. The hour-long meeting was described as a tug of war by senior wide receiver Terry Richardson, who said at a news conference Sunday it became a shouting match among players at one point.

No one has disclosed what issues were discussed, but the day ended with Koetter naming Carpenter the starter, a switch announced Sunday with Koetter saying he made a mistake.

The fallout measured a 7.0 on the football Richter scale, raising a flurry of questions, among them: Who's running the team, the seniors or Koetter? Will the controversy bring the team together or divide it? What issues concerned the leadership group about Keller? Why didn't Koetter seek the seniors' advice before making his decision?

"Because," he said, "there was nothing to meet with them about. I didn't need their help until the situation presented itself as it did." What situation? "It was just a talk," senior tackle Andrew Carnahan said of the meeting. "That's all I'm going to say."

Koetter said the final decision was his. "The leadership group was mature, thoughtful and thorough in their discussion of the situation, and they gave good input into what was best for our team. I'd be foolish not to listen."

Koetter had said the door was open for Keller to return, but that was before he appeared in Lincoln. USA TODAY was not able to reach either Keller or his father, Mike, on Wednesday.

This is clearly Carpenter's team now. Having the seniors back him meant a lot, he said. "They recognize all the hard work I put in. You have to have the respect of the guys."

Said Koetter, "Our team believes in Rudy."

Carnahan said the issue brought the team together. "It's helped some people emerge as leaders." Asked if the issue could undermine Koetter's authority, he said, "Absolutely not."

Carpenter agreed. "Everyone is always going to find a way to bag Coach Koetter. What if he didn't do that? What if it was some other subject and the team revolted against him and everybody would be mad he didn't listen to his players? I trust what he does, and the players do."

But if this can't bring the team closer? Said Carpenter: "If it can't, I don't think we deserve to win many games."

by Taylor Price

published on Monday, August 21, 2006

ASU football coach Dirk Koetter made a major error Sunday in changing his mind on the Sun Devils' starting quarterback.

Not only is senior Sam Keller the superior quarterback over sophomore Rudy Carpenter, Keller is the face of the team.

What manager Ozzie Guillen is to the Chicago White Sox, Sam Keller is to the ASU football team.

Both are talented, supremely confident and never afraid to bite their tongues when dropping a tasty quote on the media.

Never mind Keller says things like, "They gave me too much time," such as he did in a postgame interview as an explanation for his standout performance in the 2004 Sun Bowl.

And while you're being forgetful, try to look past Keller's over-the-top celebrations that consist of pointing to the student section after tossing touchdown passes.

The bottom line is, Keller can play ball. He knows it, Koetter knows it and the LSU defense - that Keller torched for 461 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in a game last September - knows it all too well.

When Keller held the wheel to ASU's ship last season, he guided it through the storm of some of the top defenses on the schedule such as the Tigers, USC and Oregon.

Although he struggled in the second half against USC, the Trojans were the second best team in the nation last season. You can cut Keller some slack on that.

Carpenter did a lot of great things while guest starring in the quarterback role when Keller's season ended prematurely with a thumb injury. But you can't get too excited about what happened on the field under Carpenter's watch.

ASU's four wins during Carpenter's five-game reign as starter in 2005 were against the ultra-Charmin-soft defenses of Washington, Washington State, UA and Rutgers.

Despite the emotion surrounding his and Carpenter's position battle, Keller understands the big picture.

Like a veteran NFL quarterback trying to fight off the incoming No. 1 draft pick (See: Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart), Keller did everything he could to hold off the tough competition and keep a grip on his job.

Instead of being offended that his position was even up for grabs, Keller used it as an excuse to improve.

"That guy (Carpenter) is special," Keller said. "Because of him I got better."

The quarterback controversy reminds me of a similar situation the San Francisco 49ers faced in the early the '90s, when they had two capable starters in Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Young was clearly talented enough to play at a high level, much like Carpenter is now. However, Keller, like Montana, is the leader of the team and still has his best years ahead of him.

Benching Keller before his senior season is as good an idea as spending $10 to go see "Snakes on a Plane."

Carpenter is indeed the future of the program and will develop nicely with the young stars of the team like tailback Keegan Herring and wide receiver Mike Jones.

But just because he is the future does not make him the present. That would be Keller, the most polished quarterback in Tempe, the quarterback that has served longest in Koetter's complex offense and the best quarterback to see the field this season for the Sun Devils.

Reach the reporter at Edward.Price@asu.edu.

And while you're being forgetful, try to look past Keller's over-the-top celebrations that consist of pointing to the student section after tossing touchdown passes.

What he is just supposed to throw and ball and like a robot turn around and walk to the sidelines. That kind of action is COLLEGE FOOTBALL! Those are the things that get the fans going and show the passion that is college football. This guy needs to get out of whatever box he is living in

Halfway throught the season, Koetter is going to be staring at the framed picture of Keller that he has on his bedstand at night sobbing, wondering....."Why?! Why?! Why am I such a pu&&y and let my seniors who I should be telling what to do boss me around and tell me to start Rudy!" I feel for the guy, but he's a spineless jackass and because of his stupid decision, we have, in my opinion, one of the top 5 QBs in the nation for next year. It's going to be a sweet sweet year my friends....sweet year. :horns2:horns2:horns2:horns2

Great article, thanks. What a huge clusterf*ck down in the desert. Think what you want to of this kid, I think he knew something we all didn't, and that is that there are HUGE problems at ASU. It looks like there is a lot of talent in Carpenter, but who is running the team?

I think he is, and the players surrounding him. What a mess. That coach needs a clue.

What he is just supposed to throw and ball and like a robot turn around and walk to the sidelines. That kind of action is COLLEGE FOOTBALL! Those are the things that get the fans going and show the passion that is college football. This guy needs to get out of whatever box he is living in

Well, sarcasm or not, he's gonna have to cut that out in the Big 12 'cause Cory Ross got a penalty for doing that exact same thing last season. <_<

against ISU i think...??

as for ASU, man it would suck to be a Sun Devil fan if Carpenter gets hurt or flops. They went from 2 great QBs to 1 great QB with HUGE dropoff behind him. actually if you go back even further, they lost what would have been a good back up frosh earlier this year right?

Koetter's running down the sideline! He might go all the way! He's hit by Callahan at the 20! Koetter fumbles! Picked up by Callahan! He's gonna return it all the way for the National Championship!!

:lol: