cryer injures knee

If it does happen to be serious...what an opportunity for Suh. IMO we shouldn't keep that mammoth off the field for more than half of every game this season. I can't wait to see him play.

I want to see Suh play too... but we need Cryer. Without Cryer Suh will have to play a much bigger role and I doubt Johnson has picked up the system yet. Listening to Jay Moore, even last year they were still learning the system.

Husker Football Notebook, 8/26: DT Cryer returns to practice

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Aug 26, 2006 - 12:21:58 am CDT

Senior starting defensive tackle Barry Cryer returned to practice Friday, one day after sitting out because of a sore knee.

“He’s doing very well,” Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. “He hasn’t missed a beat. He’s good to go.”

When asked what the official diagnosis was of Cryer’s knee, Cosgrove responded: “Nothing.

“We didn’t think it was serious at the time. But if something did happen, we preach to our backups all the time, ‘You’ve got to practice and perform like a starter.’ I feel good about our depth at that position. Naturally, you don’t want to lose a starter, but if it happens, the next guy has to be ready.”

OCTAVIEN BACK: Cosgrove said linebacker Steve Octavien, who last week had his appendix removed, has had his best two days of preseason practice this week. “He’s made some very good strides, and he’s good to go,” Cosgrove said. “(It’s) just getting tied down. I think his focus is where it needs to be, good concentration. His reactions to the football have been very good.”

WATCH LISTS: Three Huskers this week have been named to preseason watch lists for postseason awards. Junior linebacker Corey McKeon is on the Butkus Award watch list, senior quarterback Zac Taylor is on the Manning Award watch list and sophomore Jordan Congdon is among 11 kickers on the Lou Groza Award watch list.

EXTRA POINT CLUB: The Nebraska Extra Point Club will have its first Kickoff Breakfast of the season Friday. The breakfast will be at the Champions Club, located west of Memorial Stadium. Doors open at 6:45 a.m. and a breakfast buffet will be served at 7 a.m. Offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove will speak. Tickets are $15 apiece, or fans can reserve tables for eight people for $100. Make reservations by Wednesday by calling 472-2367.

NEW CAPACITY: NU officials have determined the new seating capacity for Memorial Stadium will officially be 81,067. The previous capacity was 73,918. The addition of new seating in the North Stadium, new handicapped and mobility-impaired seating, and new suites in the North end zone, increased capacity to more than 81,000. The announced attendance will be close to 85,000. Memorial Stadium is now the third-largest stadium in the Big 12 Conference, trailing Texas A&M’s Kyle Field (82,600) and Oklahoma’s Memorial Stadium (82,112).

ETC.: Cosgrove said blackshirts will be awarded Monday. … Tyler Kester has been playing cornerback. … The Huskers will use today as a simulated game day and take Sunday off before beginning game-week preparations next week. … Former Husker Blake Tiedtke has received the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame’s postgraduate scholarship award, worth $3,000.