The Unwritten Rules of Memorial Stadium

In my experience, people don't even bother spilling their JD into their Pepsi- they just go with the JD straight up. I've cleaned the stadium before and one would not believe the number of liquor bottles left behind after the game- ESPECIALLY in the student section. How people have managed to smuggle in 1.75s of vodka is somewhat bewildering, but they do it every game. Lots of them. I give them a proper tip of the hat, but my drink of choice on gameday is beer. Watching a game without beer is like eating cake without frosting. :cheers

Mmmmm.......Beeeeeeeerrrr....... :wasted:P

In my experience, people don't even bother spilling their JD into their Pepsi- they just go with the JD straight up. I've cleaned the stadium before and one would not believe the number of liquor bottles left behind after the game- ESPECIALLY in the student section. How people have managed to smuggle in 1.75s of vodka is somewhat bewildering, but they do it every game. Lots of them. I give them a proper tip of the hat, but my drink of choice on gameday is beer. Watching a game without beer is like eating cake without frosting. :cheers

THESE are becoming popular with the students. I've seen 2 last year. Most people turn them upside down so the tube is accessed through the fly in pants..... Pretty funny considering it looks your peeing in a cup and drinking it.

I never would drink at the game however because I don't want to risk missing any part of the game because of getting kicked out. (only before and after)

***SNIP***

2. Stand up and make noise. Here is a simple mathematical formula. Loud noise + scared to death QB = Face mask into field turf with the possibility of some Chad May bitching. But here’s another formula you might want to keep in mind as well. Blue hair old lady that was a Bugeater fan before she was a Husker fan + telling you to sit down = Old lady looking at your backside the rest of the game as she remembers the glory days of Dana X. Bible. These two formulas will add up to one hell of a time.

***SNIP***

:yeah

Hey fellas

I thought I'd had one more

9. Be prompt. We have the most exciting entrance in all of college football. There is absoutely no need for you to miss it. If you have trouble with kickoff and figuring out exactly what time the game starts here's a tip. Lets say that kickoff is slated for 2:30. Well that means Pinnacle Sports starts its pregame show 18 hours before that. Do the math, try to be in the stadium a half hour before and you'll witness something special; cool graphics, the sweet sounds of the Allan Parsons Project and thousands and thousands of goosebumps.

Since we are 8 days from the start of the 2006 season, I thought we should compile a list of the unwritten rules of being a Husker fan on football Saturday in Lincoln. Here is a few that I came up with. Please add, subtract, do whatever makes you happy. Its almost time people!!!!

1. Wear red. For god sakes its called the “Sea of Red”, not the “Sea of Gray”, “Sea of White” or the “Sea of Old Navy Shirts”. But if you have trouble finding a red Husker shirt here’s a little tip that’ll help you out in finding one. Try, oh I don’t know, looking at almost EVERY SINGLE STORE IN THE STATE OF NEBRASKA!!! You can’t throw a dead cat without hitting a red Husker shirt. Hell I think your even given one when your either are born here or cross the border.

2. Stand up and make noise. Here is a simple mathematical formula. Loud noise + scared to death QB = Face mask into field turf with the possibility of some Chad May bitching. But here’s another formula you might want to keep in mind as well. Blue hair old lady that was a Bugeater fan before she was a Husker fan + telling you to sit down = Old lady looking at your backside the rest of the game as she remembers the glory days of Dana X. Bible. These two formulas will add up to one hell of a time.

3. Throw up the bones AND after a 3 & out, do the 3 & out symbol with your hand. If you don’t know what throwing up the bones or what the 3 & out hand gesture is, check your tickets and Husker gear in at the door and journey down to Craphatten and painfully purchase some god awful purple to become a woeful K-SUCKS fan.

4. Do two pre-game traditions; one old and one new. Touch the bottom of the foot of the elephant in front of Morrill Hall and touch the cleat of the last tackler in the statue just outside the east side of the stadium. You’ll feel like a dork and you’ll look like a dork but dammit, it has to be done.

5. Do not partake in the wave. God how I wish this completely uncool maneuver could have a disclaimer on the back of the ticket stud. “Bearer of this ticket shall not bring in any alcohol, firearms, throw things on the field and participate in the wave…”

6. Cheer all visiting teams out of the stadium except for one. That’s Colorado. They do not need to be cheered for anything, except for actually completing a full sentence without spitting out Coors Light backwash, marijuana residue and cousin splatter.

7. At halftime, go ahead and get your hot dog, go to the bathroom or accidentally spill some Jack Daniels into your Pepsi. The band hasn’t had an interesting performance since RFK almost became President. Just make sure that your back in time to politely clap them off the field and be ready for the second half.

1) i don't mind the grey or white. and i certainly don't mind Black (for the Blackshirts). its the "Sea of Red" but those are neutral colors. but Navy? how does a fan grab their NU ticket, look in your closet and say "yeah, i'll where my navy shirt to the Husker game." :steam

or worse yet, something bright and obnoxious like lime green or orange or yellow, etc. what else is stadium security at Memorial Stadium for if its not to expel people like that from the stadium?

as she remembers the glory days of Dana X. Bible

ol' X would have wanted 'em to yell! :cheers

Touch the bottom of the foot of the elephant in front of Morrill Hall and touch the cleat of the last tackler in the statue just outside the east side of the stadium.

i've never heard of either of those "traditions". oh well, never too late to start i guess. :dunno

6. Cheer all visiting teams out of the stadium except for one. That’s Colorado. They do not need to be cheered for anything, except for actually completing a full sentence without spitting out Coors Light backwash, marijuana residue and cousin splatter.

gotta say i totally disagree with the "except Colorado" rule. Its a "kill 'em with Kindness" thing. we go to their stadium and... (insert horror stories hear)... then they come hear and get a lesson in Class 101.

CU fans that have never been to Memorial insist that our reputation is a myth. so why prove it to 'em when/if they do come??

many of them are in denial that Husker fans act that way, so being curtious to Buffies in our stadium is just throwing it right in their damn faces when they know how we're treated in Boulder.

Went to Boulder for the game last year with 12 other Big Red Fans and had front row seats where Ralphie runs out. Great CU fans around us until the game went South for them. They left and the students moved in. Left at 10 min left before the students were cleared out. For the most part a great experience, but not sure if I would go in a smaller group. Strength in numbers for that stadium.....

Went to Boulder for the game last year with 12 other Big Red Fans and had front row seats where Ralphie runs out. Great CU fans around us until the game went South for them. They left and the students moved in. Left at 10 min left before the students were cleared out. For the most part a great experience, but not sure if I would go in a smaller group. Strength in numbers for that stadium.....

I had gone with 4 people. my father and two younger teenagers (it was their first Husker game).

I'd been to games there before and didn't really get anything (personally) worse than a few ignorant comments and a little trash talk. It was enough though that i'd be embarrassed if I saw Husker fans treating "guests" the same way in Memorial.

last year though was the first time we'd had anything thrown at us (one of those stupid yellow shakers that visitors to Folsem should be familiar with).

Also more than a few taunts and comments outside of the stadium. probably from students that had been kicked out.

but that's just it. Other CU fans see that BS and believe or not, some are actually embarrassed by it. The letters-to-the-editor in the RMNews and DPost reflected that. as well as fan interviews from the local news after that game.

So those fans as well as the idiots that condone or defend that kind of crap come to Memorial and see a completely different atmosphere.

That HAS to be even more embarrassing for them. not to mention embarrassing for the team! to remember that your fans were kicked out of a game while your "rival's" fans are clapping for you as you walk off the field.

this, as opposed to seeing Huskers backers that are *alledgedly* nice to opposing fans but treat CU people like dirt? no way, Kill 'em with Kindness. even if some of 'em still won't get it.

Touch the bottom of the foot of the elephant

speaking of touching objects for luck before a game... I wonder if fans will be able to get in to where the old horseshoe is now. I assumed they moved it close to the new locker rooms...?

Blue hair old lady that was a Bugeater fan before she was a Husker fan + telling you to sit down = Old lady looking at your backside the rest of the game as she remembers the glory days of Dana X. Bible. These two formulas will add up to one hell of a time.

My Mom is 75 and will stand and cheer the whole game! We hope to continue our "3 Generation Game" this year for the Texas game!