NUance

Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

GSG    5,518

I've been watching "Monty Python's Flying Circus" the past few days. It's pretty funny.

I also watched a couple episodes of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." Basically this guy (Darren McGavin, the dad from A Christmas Story) is a Chicago newspaper reporter who investigates mysterious crimes with unlikely causes, particularly ones law enforcement authorities won't pursue. Often these crimes involve some element of the supernatural or science fiction, such as fantastical creatures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolchak:_The_Night_Stalker

They only did one season of 20 episodes. Then they tried to bring it back in 2005 under the name "The Night Stalker"

It doesn't take itself too seriously, which I tend to like. Kinda funny at times. More of a "on in the background" type of show.

NUance    6,940

I've been watching "Monty Python's Flying Circus" the past few days. It's pretty funny.

I also watched a couple episodes of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker." Basically this guy (Darren McGavin, the dad from A Christmas Story) is a Chicago newspaper reporter who investigates mysterious crimes with unlikely causes, particularly ones law enforcement authorities won't pursue. Often these crimes involve some element of the supernatural or science fiction, such as fantastical creatures. http://en.wikipedia....e_Night_Stalker

They only did one season of 20 episodes. Then they tried to bring it back in 2005 under the name "The Night Stalker"

It doesn't take itself too seriously, which I tend to like. Kinda funny at times. More of a "on in the background" type of show.

Yeah, I watched a few of both of those shows. I just happened across "The Night Stalker". I don't understand how that show--which is pretty good--got canceled after a handful of episodes. But a show like with no entertainment value (for me anyway) like "Golden Girls" was on for many years.

Cactusboy    41

Any other Netflix fans here? I’ve been getting into watching stuff on Netflix lately. I only do the streaming, don't order the DVDs. They have tons of movies available—but only about 10% of which I’d actually want to watch. A couple decent movies I’ve seen lately: Limitless, The Troll Hunter and Trees Lounge. None of the three were *great* movies. But worth watching.

Anyway, I’d thought a thread like this would be a good place to compare notes/recommendations about stuff on Netflix.

I saw Trees Lounge in college...it was worth watching. Steve Buscemi's first movie he wrote and directed. Limitless was good.

The Dude    6,479

I started watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix a little over a month ago and I couldn't stop watching. I watched all 3 seasons in a matter of weeks.

The season finale of season 3 was the sh#t. I ended up buying season 4 on Amazon Instant Video. Well worth the 18 dollars. It's probably the best show on TV. Would be even better if it was on a premium channel instead of FX.

Hoosker    743

If you havern't seen it before, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is hilarious. David Cross kills it.

That's been on my recommended shows for a while now. Haven't gotten into it yet, but I've heard good things.

Is he anything like Tobias from Arrested Development?

NUance    6,940

If you havern't seen it before, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is hilarious. David Cross kills it.

That's been on my recommended shows for a while now. Haven't gotten into it yet, but I've heard good things.

Just finished the first episode. Good stuff! It is pretty funny. Too bad they only made one season. :lol:

Omaha-Husker    415

Just finished the first episode. Good stuff! It is pretty funny. Too bad they only made one season. :lol:

The 2nd season just ended actually.

Hoosker    743

The 2nd season just ended actually.

Oh my Lord that was hysterical. One episode in and I'm loving it.

Anything with David Cross, Will Arnett, London, energy drinks, and awkward uncensored humor is bound to make me laugh.

Definitely going to be keeping up with this show!

Hoosker    743

I don't know how many British comedy fans there are on this board, but I'm definitely one of them.

I've always been a big Monty Python freak.

Has anyone else watched "Spaced"? It stars Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) as well as his chubby friend who appears in the same films.

It's a goofy, fast paced sitcom made from 99-01. Again, not for everyone, but if you're into British humor, then you ought to give the show a try.

Excel    1,145

Funny you should mention Troll Hunter, I watched that the other week and really enjoyed it. I've also tried Firefly which I found surprisingly good considering I don't usually like science fiction.

I've watched all the Sons of Anarchy stuff I can find and all the American Gangster and Gangland episodes...also saw the new Tron on there...not too bad.

NUance    6,940

Yeah, I thought Troll Hunter was pretty good. Haven't seen Firefly yet.

Another one worth watching is Kenny v. Spenny. A series about two jackasses who try to out-do each other in bizarre contests. The episode about "who can stay tied to a goat the longest" is one I'd recommend.

MLB 51    893

Funny you should mention Troll Hunter, I watched that the other week and really enjoyed it. I've also tried Firefly which I found surprisingly good considering I don't usually like science fiction.

I've watched all the Sons of Anarchy stuff I can find and all the American Gangster and Gangland episodes...also saw the new Tron on there...not too bad.

Never could get into S.O.A. Not a big Ron Pearlman fan.

Hoosker    743

If you like stand up, I recommend you watch Jim Gaffigan: Beyond the Pale if you haven't already. He is hysterical!

NUance    6,940

Watched "Michael Collins" tonight, another Starz movie. Good flick. I'd recommend it. Based on a true story.

Starz is pulling its content from Netflix on 2/29.

NUance    6,940

Watching Futurama right now :D easily my favorite TV show

I LIKE the sound of that! (says the Fry of HB)

Maybe you should watch Archer if you haven't seen it. The only cartoon on now that comes close to Futurama. :lol:

Hoosker    743

Watching Futurama right now :D easily my favorite TV show

I LIKE the sound of that! (says the Fry of HB)

Maybe you should watch Archer if you haven't seen it. The only cartoon on now that comes close to Futurama. :lol:

You bite your tongue.

The Dude    6,479

I'm on a Futurama kick right now, myself. I put off watching them because I figured I saw most of the older ones when they aired, but I've watched several episodes in a row from season 2 that I've never seen. Noticed they had new episodes up on Netflix, and I've probably never seen any of those. After I'm done with those I'll probably start Archer.

GSG    5,518

I remember watching Ren & Stimpy as a kid, but then I stumbled across "Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon"

Apparently these were episodes that were done for SpikeTV after the show was done on Nickelodeon.

It's pretty weird stuff. There's a lot of "Ren and Stimpy are gay" jokes in there. Even some cartoon breasts in one episode lol

NUance    6,940

Dazed and Confused... if you don't find it funny, you don't have a sense of humor.

dazed-and-confused3.jpg

I'm gonna have to re-watch that sometime. A classic! :thumbs:

NUance    6,940

lilyhammer-515x316.jpg

Been watching the TV series Lilyhammer about a U.S. gangster transplanted to Norway. LINK

It's like a mashup of The Sopranos and Fargo.

Landlord    7,375

As has been mentioned, Christopher Nolan has a number of old films available on Netflix. They are all really, really enjoyable in my eyes. I loved Memento something fierce, have watched it three times over the last 3 months. This guy is a once-in-a-lifetime talent in the director's chair.

Football Guy Bob    4,428

Watched a movie called "Troll Hunter" yesterday on Netflix, pretty weird movie. But, it was still fun to watch and it was actually kind of funny at the sametime it was trying to be a horror movie.

Hoosker    743

workaholics.jpg

They need to get the second season on streaming already.

Yeah they do!

I can't get enough of these guys. Plus Adam (left) is from Bellevue and his sister goes to UNL.

Football Guy Bob    4,428

workaholics.jpg

They need to get the second season on streaming already.

Yeah they do!

I can't get enough of these guys. Plus Adam (left) is from Bellevue and his sister goes to UNL.

He was at the Hour Lounge a month or so ago, but the line was so long I didn't get a chance to get in and meet him.

CornHOLIO    181

Dazed and Confused... if you don't find it funny, you don't have a sense of humor.

dazed-and-confused3.jpg

I'm gonna have to re-watch that sometime. A classic! :thumbs:

I liked that movie, Even bought the soundtrack, don't remember that much funny.

NUance    6,940

donnellys.jpg

I've been watching The Black Donnellys, a one-season-and-out 2007 series about a bunch of NYC black Irish mobster punks. Only watched two episodes, but it seems like it could be pretty good.

NUance    6,940

lights_out_fx_tv_series_slice_01.jpg

Netflix just added Lights Out, a 13 episode FX series. It's a pretty great show. I saw most of them, but missed the last episode. So I'm rewatching from the start. :thumbs:

NUance    6,940

220px-Flying_scotsman.jpg

The Flying Scotsman. A great, great movie. And a true story. It's like Rocky Balboa meets Breaking Away.

The Dude    6,479

Cosmos: A Personal Voyage

Every human on the planet needs to watch this series. I'm surprised how much we knew about the universe in 1980. Carl Sagan was the man.

GSG    5,518

I've been rewatching all the Scrubs episodes (one of my favorite shows). I also just watched season 5 of the Whitest Kids U'Know. It's pretty good.

I've also been sprinkling in some old Alfred Hitchcock episodes. Cloris Leachman was even in one.

I'm really wishing season 3 of The League would be on soon, but I'm guessing it won't be until the fall.

Netflix recommends that I watch the Curious George tv show, and right next to that is a documentary on Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. Makes sense, I guess.

Blackshirts007    565

I just watched a movie called "Cherry." It's an independent about a college kid who gets to know and fall for a mom who is in his class. The mom he likes has a 15 year old daughter who likes him. Its a really good twist for an independent and i thought it was a good story and acting

GSG    5,518

I just watched a movie called "Cherry." It's an independent about a college kid who gets to know and fall for a mom who is in his class. The mom he likes has a 15 year old daughter who likes him. Its a really good twist for an independent and i thought it was a good story and acting

I've seen that on there a couple times, but never watched it. Is there anyone who is "known" in it?

Blackshirts007    565

I've seen that on there a couple times, but never watched it. Is there anyone who is "known" in it?

I didn't know anyone in it, and it looked pretty low budget but there were some funny parts. But also keep in mind that im 20 and could relate more to the main character who was also in college. I am very picky about the movies i watch on there because im good at starting a movie i've never heard about and then shutting it off 30 minutes later. So i looked it up and it got decent reviews so i thought i'd give it a shot, and it was pretty good imo

Blackshirts007    565

I didn't know anyone in it, and it looked pretty low budget but there were some funny parts. But also keep in mind that im 20 and could relate more to the main character who was also in college. I am very picky about the movies i watch on there because im good at starting a movie i've never heard about and then shutting it off 30 minutes later. So i looked it up and it got decent reviews so i thought i'd give it a shot, and it was pretty good imo

Well actually Matt Walsh, from the hangover (doctor) was the teacher, and Esai Morales was a cop who had an open relationship with the mom, Kyle Gallner was the main character but i hadn't heard of him, but he did a nice job

GSG    5,518

Well actually Matt Walsh, from the hangover (doctor) was the teacher, and Esai Morales was a cop who had an open relationship with the mom, Kyle Gallner was the main character but i hadn't heard of him, but he did a nice job

:lol: Well I'm not that much older than you. Might have to check it out this weekend or something.

Nebula    411

Every human on the planet needs to watch this series. I'm surprised how much we knew about the universe in 1980. Carl Sagan was the man.

sagan.png

The Dude    6,479

sagan.png

According to the documentary, this is an accurate cartoon. He did mention saying that as a kid.

I can't imagine growing up in a place where you couldn't really see the stars at night. The sky is the best thing about living in Nebraska. Not so much in Lincoln, though. The night sky sucks here.