HeyBurke's Explanation Thread

The purpose of this thread is to explain to some of the members of this board what exactly I was trying to say yesterday about the incident with our team. I put it in the politics/religion sub-forum because it has more to do with politics than it does football.

Now, before I even start, I'm aware that the latest information coming out on the incident is saying that drugs weren't necessarily the reason these guys are getting in trouble. It has more to do with fighting. Anyway...

I was trying to say that in the real world, if these players of ours had failed a drug test at say, a job, they would have been fired without a chance to even explain themselves. The law is the law. If you have traces of any illicit drug in your system on a UA, you're going to get fired. I don't care where you work or what you do, no employer is going to hire you if you fail a piss test. Personally, I don't believe things like marijuana should be illegal, but that's not how the world works. Pot is illegal and if the national media found out that Bo Pelini was letting a bunch of guys stay on the team after failing multiple drug tests, our university would become a laughing stock. We would become like what Florida was under Urban Meyer.

I know that a lot of you guys are defending our players because you have probably been in similar situations at some point in your lives, and that's just fine with me. To be honest, I couldn't give two bothers about a bunch of college kids smoking pot. My best friend used to smoke a bowl everyday until he got a real job. Not my life, not my problem. But, if we've got guys on the team who fail multiple drug tests and have been given multiple warnings, then they deserve to be kicked to the corner. If getting high is important than playing football, then have fun just being a normal student at the university.

You guys are still gonna flame me, but I don't really care. I have my opinion and you have yours. Just because mine might deviate from the usual HuskerBoard circle jerk doesn't mean it's any less valid.

Anywho, have a good day everyone! I hope this news is all overblown and no one gets kicked off the team. GBR!

• Fire 1

I don't have any problem with your views on drug use or how you feel our program would be perceived nationally if rampant drug use was an issue.

What I have a problem with is the carefree manner in which you treat and state some of these things went down. If you're going to state the team has such and such a policy, do it from a point of knowing what you're talking about and not being speculative. If you're going to state that specific players have had multiple occurrences of these types of infractions, once again, do it from fact rather than speculation. There were simply too many claims made by you that were not sufficiently prefaced as hypothetical situations. And, since you did in a few choice locations admit that you had no idea what actually went down in this specific case and that you have no idea what Bo or the teams rules are specifically, I felt you were kind of off base reacting as indignantly as you did. If you're gonna go off on some players for having used drugs or broken team rules 3 or 4 times, might be best to wait until incident numero uno is actually verified.

I don't have any problem with your views on drug use or how you feel our program would be perceived nationally if rampant drug use was an issue.

What I have a problem with is the carefree manner in which you treat and state some of these things went down. If you're going to state the team has such and such a policy, do it from a point of knowing what you're talking about and not being speculative. If you're going to state that specific players have had multiple occurrences of these types of infractions, once again, do it from fact rather than speculation. There were simply too many claims made by you that were not sufficiently prefaced as hypothetical situations. And, since you did in a few choice locations admit that you had no idea what actually went down in this specific case and that you have no idea what Bo or the teams rules are specifically, I felt you were kind of off base reacting as indignantly as you did. If you're gonna go off on some players for having used drugs or broken team rules 3 or 4 times, might be best to wait until incident numero uno is actually verified.

So, would you say he has no frame of reference here?

walter-269x300.jpg

• Fire 2

I had a friend who played on the team in 2010 (not gonna say who it was, but he transferred to Kearney after that season) and he told me a few years ago that they did have to sign some sort of agreement on the team rules. Now, that was back in 2010, but I imagine Bo has the same policy in place today.

Have any of the 4 allegedly involved failed multiple drug tests already?

No idea. That was all speculation. I never implied that any of those guys did fail drug tests. I just said that if they did, they should be kicked off the team for breaking team rules.

Has Bo let a bunch of guys stay on the team after failing multiple drug tests?

I have no idea. I would sure hope not. If there's one thing I think Bo Pelini is really good at, that's enforcing the rules he lays out for his players. Some posters here seem to think that he should just let things like failed drug tests slide, though. That's not cool in my book.

Florida was not a laughing stock. They were constantly over-glorified beyond health despite the behavioral issues.

Laughing stock was the wrong phrase. I don't know how exactly I can word that better. What I mean is that schools like Florida and LSU made exceptions to their drug testing policies for a bunch of players and now the media has those two schools under a microscope. I don't want that to happen to Nebraska. I like lying low on the national scene when it comes to anything not specifically football related.

I have no idea. I would sure hope not. If there's one thing I think Bo Pelini is really good at, that's enforcing the rules he lays out for his players. Some posters here seem to think that he should just let things like failed drug tests slide, though. That's not cool in my book.

Who in the holy hell said that? What players have failed a drug test?

The problem here is that you're mixing your opinion of how real things should be handled with speculation and innuendo. I, for one, stated that I didn't think a first occurance of marijuana use should be a situation that gets a kid kicked off the team. That is not the same thing as a failed drug test. That is not the same thing as a speculated 4th infraction. Who said Bo should let failed drug tests slide? Who has failed a drug test? Are you even beginning to see what the problem is here?

I have no idea.

Then why make that presupposition in the first place, and base a thread topic around it?

"I don't know if HeyBurke stole those 50 tokens from the fat kid at Chuck E. Cheese's, but if he did it was wrong".

I have no idea.

Then why make that presupposition in the first place, and base a thread topic around it?

"I don't know if HeyBurke stole those 50 tokens from the fat kid at Chuck E. Cheese's, but if he did it was wrong".

Listen, buddy, I sent you a PM asking you to stop making jokes at my expense. Be a man and stop. Though, I shouldn't expect much from you after that whole debacle you had with EZ-E.