The Upside to Randy Gregory Missing . . .

We all certainly hope that nothing is wrong with RG. We absolutely need him. However, in his absence, the defense learned to operate without their leader. And, boy, did they do well. Having seen this, maybe RG won't feel the need to put everybody on his shoulders when he plays. Not saying that he normally plays that way, but, after an off-season where he has been hailed as the greater-stronger version of Suh, it would be easy for him to feel the strain of having to perform at such a level. After yesterday, he can just play his position and let everybody else do their thing.

Agreed, we still seemed to have problems with the screen and some lateral plays, but overall it was head and shoulders above what we saw last year at this time. Just think, if the defense improved like last years defense does. They COULD be pretty stingy, but I'm waiting to see how we improve over the next few games before I allow myself to get really excited. But damn it's hard not to get excited!

Keels and Natter need to step up in his absence. Gangwish did alright but got pushed around alot...

Good grief.

There is a reason Gangwish got all (most) of the snaps. He's better than those 2. Why can't we just say. "Hey it's his first collegiate game, Gangwish will get better as he learns the speed and strength of the game"

and. I didn't see him get pushed around a lot. I watched him every single snap and for good reason. I thought he played well.

• Fire 1

We all certainly hope that nothing is wrong with RG. We absolutely need him. However, in his absence, the defense learned to operate without their leader.

I don't think RG is the defense's leader. He's a fantastic player but doesn't seem to talk much to his teammates. I'd say Mitchell and Cooper are the leaders.

Keels and Natter need to step up in his absence. Gangwish did alright but got pushed around alot...

Good grief.

There is a reason Gangwish got all (most) of the snaps. He's better than those 2. Why can't we just say. "Hey it's his first collegiate game, Gangwish will get better as he learns the speed and strength of the game"

and. I didn't see him get pushed around a lot. I watched him every single snap and for good reason. I thought he played well.

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all...however, I saw him get pushed around quite a bit. Looks like I need a better view. Time to watch it on the tube here soon because I was at the game yeaterday. I hope he does well...he had flashes of solid play yesterday...I am just a bit worried what he will display come conference play

I didn't see him pushed around too bad either. Some times he had a "read" assignment and he wan't supposed to get a push. The times he was turned loose he had some good bull rushes and was able to get some pressure. Did he have 5 sacks or anything wild? No, but it seemed he played his assignments pretty well. Had a couple tackles and one for a 1 yard loss. He'll only get better. I think a couple times they double teamed him so he must have made them uncomfortable enough to draw the double. Just keep in mind, none of us know what his assignment is on each play so sometimes face value is mis-leading. Time will tell, if he's not getting it done he will drop on the depth chart. If not, I'm guessing he's doing what he's supposed to.

• Fire 2

This D will be fine if they have to rely on Gangwish for significant PT this year. He didn't look like a liability (like we have had several times at positions in the past few years). Plus he should get better as he works into his role on the team. The biggest problem will be that he will go in as a solid player replacing the top DE in the country. He won't be a weakness but he will be a step down. Collins, VV, McMullen and company will have to elevate their game to make up the difference.

• Fire 1

The one thing I am confident in saying about a Pelini team is that the defense typically gets better and better as the season goes on. I am excited to see where this defense goes.

I am hanging my hat on this as well. In all of Bo's years, I do not remember the D imploding or getting worse as the season progressed save the B1G against Wisky, but I blame that on injuries more than anything.

A Pelini defense never started out the season like yesterday's defense did. Last week, I posted a thread called "Why Not This Year." I feel that this year could be special. After watching all the floundering that went on around the college football world yesterday, bring anybody on.

The 2009 defense started out against FAU, only allowed 3 points, forced 5 turnovers, but gave up 352 yards. I'd say that was better than yesterday, to be honest.

This D will be fine if they have to rely on Gangwish for significant PT this year. He didn't look like a liability (like we have had several times at positions in the past few years). Plus he should get better as he works into his role on the team. The biggest problem will be that he will go in as a solid player replacing the top DE in the country. He won't be a weakness but he will be a step down. Collins, VV, McMullen and company will have to elevate their game to make up the difference.

I didn't see him pushed around too bad either. Some times he had a "read" assignment and he wan't supposed to get a push. The times he was turned loose he had some good bull rushes and was able to get some pressure. Did he have 5 sacks or anything wild? No, but it seemed he played his assignments pretty well. Had a couple tackles and one for a 1 yard loss. He'll only get better. I think a couple times they double teamed him so he must have made them uncomfortable enough to draw the double. Just keep in mind, none of us know what his assignment is on each play so sometimes face value is mis-leading. Time will tell, if he's not getting it done he will drop on the depth chart. If not, I'm guessing he's doing what he's supposed to.

I didn't see anybody getting pushed around on D yesterday. Geez, Louise, how do you hold a team to 7 points and about 199 yards, yet still have guys get pushed around? Somebody wasn't watching the game very closely.

Good grief.

Gangwish did a damn nice job out there. I don't think he was asked to go bull rushing up field much. He could if that was his assignment but sometimes these guys are absorbing blockers and freeing up linebackers. It appeared to me Gangwish took on multiple blockers quite a few times. He held his ground and did some nice work for his first Husker appearance. Not sure where these comments about him being pushed around are coming from.

I completely agree with all of your comments.