Could Osborne do it?

KazLong

Serious question. I do not know much about the X - O s of football.

In this era of the SEC, recruitment, partial qualifier rules etc. Could Osborne (in his prime) turn this team around.

Serious question.

Lets assume for a second for the fun of the question, Bo sh#ts the bed even more and the Huskers end the season 8-5 following a bowl loss to Texas.

We fire the AD and the whole staff insert your dream AD here, dead or alive, and they hire a new young Tom Osborne, could he get us turned around? How long would it take? What would his seasons look like?

Thoughts please. And yes this is an attempt to talk about anything else than fire Bo in this hypothetical he is long gone unless you want TO to make him the DC?

Glad to hear someone believe SOMEONE could turn this ship around.

Short of the Wizard of Memorial Stadium could someone else? I love Osborne like I have said in previous post when he was running for national office I got a lot of my stuff signed that sit in my shrine.

Reason I ask, does lightening strike twice?

Osborne was utilizing spread concepts and uptempo philosophies long before the "spread" and "up-tempo" were what we know them as today.

Plus, he OBVIOUSLY instilled a type of attitude and mental toughness, that to me alone would at the bear minimum get us conference titles on a consistent basis in this crap league.

I refuse to justify in any way speculating on Osborne's abilities in the modern game as a way to convince people that keeping Bo should happen. And at this point, any comparisons of Osborne to Bo HAVE TO STOP. At this point it's an insult the man. Just in case that's where this discussion is headed.

• Fire 1

We can insert anyone. I just hate most head coaches.

Could Nick Saban do it?

I guess another way to look at this forum is what should we be looking for. What are the struggles that are facing us. What are the unseen enemies. I understand the popular believe is to blame Bo. This is not a blame Bo form at least that was not the goal. (After all again he has been fired in this forms hypothetical.)

The goal is to try to figure out what it takes to win today. I inserted in my opinion the best Coach of my life time. The question is - should Nebraska just end its football team now? (Straw Man argument) Or do we try to fix it and if so how with whom.

Before any of those questions are answered we must answer can it be fixed? I vote yes. I have my personal opinions that are not on topic to this post. Just the question is could Tom Osborne do it and how.

I think he could personally, it is not based on reason just a believe in TO.

TO. In a word yes. He had the innate ability to stay a step ahead of most DC's with his play calling and adjust almost immediately if needed. He also was able to take kids and plug them in with little drop off. he developed talent and got the most out of them. He also surrounded himself with a competent staff that assisted him greatly. He instilled a mental and physical toughness in his players that NU hasn't seen since probably 1999-2000.

In this modern day and age, a guy with the qualities of TO and the intangibles he had would be successful.....

• Fire 1

Serious question. I do not know much about the X - O s of football.

In this era of the SEC, recruitment, partial qualifier rules etc. Could Osborne (in his prime) turn this team around.

Serious question.

Lets assume for a second for the fun of the question, Bo sh#ts the bed even more and the Huskers end the season 8-5 following a bowl loss to Texas.

We fire the AD and the whole staff insert your dream AD here, dead or alive, and they hire a new young Tom Osborne, could he get us turned around? How long would it take? What would his seasons look like?

Thoughts please. And yes this is an attempt to talk about anything else than fire Bo in this hypothetical he is long gone unless you want TO to make him the DC?

And the reason you should fire the AD? He has been on the job what 18 months. Bo has to make big changes, not sure he will make it past this season. From what I have read and obviously sometimes that is nothing but gossip, that Eichorst and Bo sat down last year and goals were set. If Bo does not achieve those goals at least Eichorst can then make the move he thinks is necessary. I really don't think we will another game this year. I see us losing to Iowa and then to a SEC team possibly in the bowl game. Arkansas perhaps???

Before Osborne won all of those championships, I remember how the big money donors were growing unhappy with him. They felt the game had passed him by and that Nebraska couldn't get its hands on the players it needed to win the big games. Osborne never changed his philosophy. The only thing that changed was the quality of players on the sidelines. In my opinion, the 1995 team in particular was one of the most stacked teams in college football history. What we need is a coach like Osborne who thinks about the big picture and gets the players he needs to implement his vision.

• Fire 1

Again this is not post about firing anyone. But I guess thats where the internet wants to go. I dont know why we should or shouldnt fire the AD if you want in your hypothetical that they fire the AD and then rehire the same AD... Again its more about how do we win.

I believe it centers around finding a niche to recruit to. I prefer a power running game for the B1G West schedule. Helps out your defense and allows you to impose your will. We are just like anyone else right now, spread offense. What sets us apart?

Install that power/option system, and with it the inherent attitude that follows. Recruit tough, big, lineman and an elite RB, and a great RUNNING QB. We can get that guy. We can't get the true Dual Threat elite QB, we can get the runner.

I believe it centers around finding a niche to recruit to. I prefer a power running game for the B1G West schedule. Helps out your defense and allows you to impose your will. We are just like anyone else right now, spread offense. What sets us apart?

Install that power/option system, and with it the inherent attitude that follows. Recruit tough, big, lineman and an elite RB, and a great RUNNING QB. We can get that guy. We can't get the true Dual Threat elite QB, we can get the runner.

Thanks for with others staying on topic.

I like this idea.