Spring Practice - Cornerbacks

DWilliams said Lamar Jackson "still needs to learn how to be a cornerback at an elite level."

You can take that different ways. I think the biggest thing is Jackson was not a corner in high school. I think it was a mistake to try to play him at corner right away last year. He obviously wasn't ready. He should have either stayed at safety or redshirted so he had more time to learn.

Dude, Mav, we don't land him if those things happen.

Um .... pretty sure things that happen after he signed can't affect whether he signs or not.

Now, he definitely wanted to play corner. And that's fine. He could still turn into a really good one. But he wasn't ready last year. Still not ready apparently. So I don't think he should have been out there.

It's almost like we were playing him so we could say we were playing him.

"He's definitely going to play, I can tell you that," Williams said of the sophomore Lee. "He's right behind Chris Jones."

It appears to have been an oversight.

"Coach has 135 guys on this team," Williams said. "Sometimes you're going to miss one or two guys. Hopefully those guys can step up here and make play after play after play and never miss them again."

LJS

Um .... pretty sure things that happen after he signed can't affect whether he signs or not.

Now, he definitely wanted to play corner. And that's fine. He could still turn into a really good one. But he wasn't ready last year. Still not ready apparently. So I don't think he should have been out there.

So you're the type of guy that loves going back on his word? Maybe we should go for a beer sometime, seem like an outstanding fellow!

So you're the type of guy that loves going back on his word? Maybe we should go for a beer sometime, seem like an outstanding fellow!

No I'm not.

I really hope we aren't promising kids they'll be playing in the first game.

• Fire 1

No I'm not.

I really hope we aren't promising kids they'll be playing in the first game.

Well it was blatant that we told him, hey we are going to give you a fair shake at CB (everyone else was saying Safety) and it was agreed that if he came he wouldn't redshirt. It's pretty simple for a recruit to leave, and redshirt the following season if a coach is full of sh#t.

I'm actually very excited about our defensive backfield.

Blades 4 :star .9351

Jackson 4 :star .9582

Domann 3 :star .8619

Dismuke 4 :star .9064

Lee 4 :star .9414

Anderson 4 :star .8935

Plus many others on the roster like Kalu, Williams, Jones...etc who have shown promise. I know I haven't listed everyone on the roster in this post.

We have a lot of talent in this group and I'm excited now about the coaching staff in this area. All upgrades in my opinion. THEN, you throw in a real possibility that we will have Bookie in the next class....wow.

It's a group where we have recruited well.

PS....yes, I know I lumped safeties into the cornerbacks thread.

• Fire 1