Grab the bull by the horns: Equality in the work place

Pretty cool statue! I hope it stays for as long as the bull does. This statue has a lot of symbolism beyond it's original intent.

ut9g7r6i24ky.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2017/03/08/state-street-bronze-statue/amp/

On the eve of International Womens Day, State Street Global Advisors, the asset management business of State Street Corporation, called on over 3,500 companies in which State Street invests on behalf of clients, to increase the number of women on its corporate boards.

In conjunction with this call to action, State Street placed a bronze statue of a determined young girl proudly staring down the iconic bronze sculpture, Charging Bull a longstanding symbol of Wall Street in Bowling Green Park in Lower Manhattan.

One of the most iconic images on Wall Street is the charging bull, Lori Heinel, State Streets deputy global chief investment officer, told Business Insider. So the idea of having a female sort of stand against the bull or stand up to the bull just struck us as a very clever but also creative and engaging way to make that statement. Even though its a little girl, her stance is one of determination, forwardness, and being willing to challenge and take on the status quo.

• Fire 2

I like it.

However, my first thought was....why is she standing in front of a figure that represents charging ahead, making new gains, progress....etc.?

I think that's right - but this says, "don't think you can go charging ahead without me!"

• Fire 1

Again...I want to express that I like the statue.

However, then think about what that means sitting in the middle of Wall Street.

The woman is the one holding back that...."charging ahead, making new gains, progress....etc." If their message is that women can work on Wall Street and be on corporate boards...etc....is that the message you want to send?

I like it.

However, my first thought was....why is she standing in front of a figure that represents charging ahead, making new gains, progress....etc.?

I think that's right - but this says, "don't think you can go charging ahead without me!"

That's an interesting interpretation.....and good point.

The woman is the one holding back that...."charging ahead, making new gains, progress....etc." If their message is that women can work on Wall Street and be on corporate boards...etc....is that the message you want to send?

And my interpretation is that we cant continue to move ahead like we are now. We need to change course - I dont think she is holding back - she is standing up to.

duplicate post - apologies

And my interpretation is that we cant continue to move ahead like we are now. We need to change course - I dont think she is holding back - she is standing up to.

I love that statue. To me it symbolizes the twofold message that Wall street needs to change it's ways as regards equality for women AND generally about how they conduct business. I think the use of a young girl gets this message across much more effectively than an older business attired woman would have. I also think the young girl image will help prevent people from getting the wrong message that women would inhibit profitability. Unfortunately BRB is right, there will be some in the good old boys club that snicker about that very thing behind their closed, chauvinist paneled doors.