Sign in to follow this  
StPaulHusker

Recruiting Tangent Thread - StPaulHusker Edition

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So does Frost get a pass or does he get admonished like Riley did with Fant and Bryson Williams?

Right now, yes. In a couple years when Duggan is lighting it up, no.

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Duggan is from Iowa....That's like the Hawkeyes mad about not getting Omaha kids 

Not the same and you know it

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

Right now, yes. In a couple years when Duggan is lighting it up, no.

I think he should be held accountable for not locking in the "radius" kids that Pelini and Riley both let slip away.  

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think he should be held accountable for not locking in the "radius" kids that Pelini and Riley both let slip away.  

So what do you suppose we should do to him? I've got a couple ideas, but you go first.

All 4 commits we have right now are in the 500 mile radius....I get CB is close to Omaha but it still is in Iowa at the end of the day 

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

So what do you suppose we should do to him? I've got a couple ideas, but you go first.

Nothing can be "done."  But it's interesting to me that people are just so in love with him being here that they are accepting the same things that they disliked the last 2 coaches for.

Of course, Duggan could surprise us all and commit to NU and all of this is moot.  I just don't think that is going to happen

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

All 4 commits we have right now are in the 500 mile radius....I get CB is close to Omaha but it still is in Iowa at the end of the day 

uOL5JeG.jpg

13 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Nothing can be "done."  But it's interesting to me that people are just so in love with him being here that they are accepting the same things that they disliked the last 2 coaches for.

Of course, Duggan could surprise us all and commit to NU and all of this is moot.  I just don't think that is going to happen

Well if nothing can be done, then what do you suggest we do?

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

Well if nothing can be done, then what do you suggest we do?

I just said nothing can be done.

My observation is about the hypocrisy.

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Alright, if you're not going to do anything about it I will.

I'm boycotting the Spring Game.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

So does Frost get a pass or does he get admonished like Riley did with Fant and Bryson Williams?

Remains to be seen but I have a lot more confidence this staff will get a player equally as good or better, than I did with the last.  Which I think was one of the biggest knocks - not only did they miss, they also failed to bring in anyone else.

Edited by RedSavage

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Alright, if you're not going to do anything about it I will.

I'm boycotting the Spring Game.

You do you

59 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I see no reason to purposely condemn a coach that hasn't even coached a game at Nebraska yet.  Now, if we get down the road and Frost hasn't recruited a good QB and Duggan is lighting it up......well.....then we can look back and complain about what happened.

Until then, this post is nothing more than trolling.

28 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

On 4/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, Mavric said:

I think it's a bit different for QBs.  You pretty much only take one per class so you're really going after the guy(s) you want the most.  At any other position, you can usually afford to take a guy who might be a bit more of a project and still get other guys who are a bit more of a finished project.

I don't know what the deal is with Duggan.  But I don't think it really has much bearing on the overall philosophy.

I'm not one who really put a lot of blame on previous staffs for misses anyway.  People over-play the misses and forget about the ones where passing turned out to be the correct call.

But particularly at QB - where you only get one per class - you have to get it right.  Maybe the personality doesn't quite mesh.  Maybe there are just other guys you like better.  But you absolutely have to get the best guy you like.  Doesn't matter from where.

52 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't see anyone expressing hypocrisy yet.  The proof is in the results.  Those other coaches failed ultimately on the field, therefore, it is logical to look back and criticize the steps they took to get to that point...or opportunities they missed.

With the path you are deciding to take this conversation.....do we go back and condemn TO for missing on Jay Novacek?  Jay was a Nebraska kid who wanted to be a Husker and TO didn't even offer him a scholarship.  He goes to Wyoming and has a good career, gets drafted and wins multiple Super bowls as a great Tight End.

Do we condemn TO?  No, because the results on the field ultimately were what mattered.

You can continue to try to troll this conversation......but, that's exactly what it is....

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not one who really put a lot of blame on previous staffs for misses anyway.  People over-play the misses and forget about the ones where passing turned out to be the correct call.

But particularly at QB - where you only get one per class - you have to get it right.  Maybe the personality doesn't quite mesh.  Maybe there are just other guys you like better.  But you absolutely have to get the best guy you like.  Doesn't matter from where.

Exactly. You dont take every kid in the 500 mile radius that is rated somewhat high just because they are in the 500 mile radius. The goal should be to lock up every 500 mile radius kid who fits our scheme, who fits the attitude and personality we want. If they dont fit the scheme or perhaps the culture we want. Or perhaps we have a few kids we feel good about that we would rather have. He is close in proximity so we all assume it is low hanging fruit and we should grab it. 

Frost and his staff do alot of vetting on their kids- its not just about talent. They do digging into what kind of kid they are as well. Talk to coaches, counselors, teachers etc. 

Just saying if we are not pushing hard for him- there is probably a reason.

11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Frost and his staff do alot of vetting on their kids- its not just about talent. They do digging into what kind of kid they are as well. Talk to coaches, counselors, teachers etc. 

Just saying if we are not pushing hard for him- there is probably a reason.

Frost offered this player at UCF.  He re-offered him at NU.  What does that say about their vetting process?

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Is Duggan a better fit for what Frost wants to run than someone like, say, McCaffery? 

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Frost offered this player at UCF.  He re-offered him at NU.  What does that say about their vetting process?

Perhaps SF thought Duggan was as high a rated QB as they were going to attract at UCF but here he is looking higher in the tree.  We have 5 QB's right now on the roster, 3 on scholarship and another who will be after next year.  Maybe he thinks Duggan won't be better than at least two now on the roster and if we take a QB it will be a home run.

5 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Perhaps SF thought Duggan was as high a rated QB as they were going to attract at UCF but here he is looking higher in the tree.  We have 5 QB's right now on the roster, 3 on scholarship and another who will be after next year.  Maybe he thinks Duggan won't be better than at least two now on the roster and if we take a QB it will be a home run.

Maybe Nebraska couldn't secure the commitment?  Why does everyone assume it's Nebraska that doesn't want Duggan and not the other way around?

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Maybe Nebraska couldn't secure the commitment?  Why does everyone assume it's Nebraska that doesn't want Duggan and not the other way around?

I don't.  Maybe Duggan doesn't want to play in this type of offense?

Why are you working so hard to find fault in the fan base?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't.  Maybe Duggan doesn't want to play in this type of offense?

Why are you working so hard to find fault in the fan base?

Or in the staff? 

25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Or in the staff? 

It's not about finding fault.  It's about maintaining the same standard.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

They aren't mutually exclusive in the argument you're trying to make. 

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

why are you so concerned about maintaining a standard? do you really want riley back that much?

1 minute ago, desertshox said:

why are you so concerned about maintaining a standard? do you really want riley back that much?

Or, is he that upset with the current staff?

It also should not be over looked that the standard was there for Riley partly because the on field results were not good. We went after alot of big fish- we got alot of big fish to commit. But not many actually made it on campus. So many people were upset with Riley because we were letting good local kids slip away to chase big fish but we never actually landed anyone better than the local kid. 

The difference is so far in watching Frost wrap up the last recruiting class in a short time frame is he closed on his targets. We were not left floundering around and not even filling out class numbers. So lets not say we have a standard for Riley that we are supposed to hold Frost to. 

Riley's lack of effective recruiting and filling classes is what led to people have a "standard" or frustration with letting good local talent get away.

59 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yet you are wondering why people aren't bashing the coaching staff... makes sense 

The current staff is cleaning up the mess from the worst tenure at Nebraska in over five decades.

Do I want the local kid? Yup. But... I'll give them some leeway in sorting this out.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Not the same and you know it

Nice post - it is exactly the same except you are correct in that the schools are reveresed

7 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Nice post - it is exactly the same except you are correct in that the schools are reveresed

Is this a Nebraska fan admitting that Iowa football is equal to Nebraksa football? ;)

Has this staff lost a game yet?  They did pretty well with the recruits they had at UCF and don't believe those classes sniffed top 20.

7 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Do you ever post anything worthy of conversation or do you just follow me around to try and be combative?  Because if you want to go down this road, I'm game.

5 minutes ago, jaws said:

Is this a Nebraska fan admitting that Iowa football is equal to Nebraksa football? ;)

Until the first second runs off the clock of the 2018 season i will agree that Iowa and NU are on comparable grounds from the years 2011 to 2017.  This will change quickly thou

not sure why these merged????

Do you ever post anything worthy of conversation or do you just follow me around to try and be combative?  Because if you want to go down this road, I'm game.

you are giving yourself too much credit --- I read what is on the screen and don't look for people - you just spend a lot of time standing out in a poor way.

Edited by GBRFAN

2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Until the first second runs off the clock of the 2018 season i will agree that Iowa and NU are on comparable grounds from the years 2011 to 2017.  This will change quickly thou

you are giving yourself too much credit --- I read what is on the screen and don't look for people - you just spend a lot of time standing out in a poor way.

I choose not to be blinded by the shiny new things.  If that makes me stand out in a poor way, then so be it.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I choose not to be blinded by the shiny new things.  If that makes me stand out in a poor way, then so be it.

yeah because the only thing this staff has going for them is they are "shiny and new"  - You need to crawl out from under the rock.  There is something going on in Lincoln and you are missing it.

two things about your profile catch my eye - one you look similar to a defensive coach we use to have here that got shown the door and it looks like you are at least one step behind.  hard feelings about this????

11 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

two things about your profile catch my eye - one you look similar to a defensive coach we use to have here that got shown the door and it looks like you are at least one step behind.  hard feelings about this????

What?

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here's a counterpoint I find compelling...

On 12/11/2017 at 10:51 AM, StPaulHusker said:

I mean, if they aren't open minded enough to consider being coached by the National Coach of the Year, Broyles Award finalist, and Belitnikoff award winner, then we should be concerned with players that are.

2 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Here...

It's fine if Duggan doesn't want to play for the Huskers.  We should move on to a player that would.  The idea that some people have that Frost offered him TWICE to 2 different schools but somehow he isn't at the top of the list shouldn't be believed.  They couldn't make up the ground on a "local" kid.  That's all.

Nice job digging back 4 months for that last post, though.  Well done.

22 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's fine if Duggan doesn't want to play for the Huskers.  We should move on to a player that would.  The idea that some people have that Frost offered him TWICE to 2 different schools but somehow he isn't at the top of the list shouldn't be believed.  They couldn't make up the ground on a "local" kid.  That's all.

Nice job digging back 4 months for that last post, though.  Well done.

There are local recruiting guys that are saying the cooled relationship is actually due to the staff not from Duggan. This may be were most are getting that opinion. The question you have to ask (since none of us are insiders) is within the context of this conversation, do you rely on reports by journalists and recruiting experts or do you go with your own intuition?

Yeah, I was considering moving this conversation to the StPaulHusker Recruiting Tangent Thread, and that ironically was the first post.

16 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

There are local recruiting guys that are saying the cooled relationship is actually due to the staff not from Duggan. This may be were most are getting that opinion. The question you have to ask (since none of us are insiders) is within the context of this conversation, do you rely on reports by journalists and recruiting experts or do you go with your own intuition?

Yeah, I was considering moving this conversation to the StPaulHusker Recruiting Tangent Thread, and that ironically was the first post.

Perhaps they cooled due to him leaning further somewhere else.  I could buy that.  But I don't believe for a second that they cooled on him due to ability or fit for the style of play.  It just doesn't add up to me.

I love Elsa.

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Perhaps they cooled due to him leaning further somewhere else.  I could buy that.  But I don't believe for a second that they cooled on him due to ability or fit for the style of play.  It just doesn't add up to me.

I love Elsa.

It could be possible that because the staff is now at Nebraska. They are granted more inside info about local kids because they are sporting the N on their jacket. Maybe someone gave them some info they didnt like much. I understand they offered him at UCF- maybe they thought he was a good caliber player for UCF. I think they re-offered most of the kids who previously had a Nebraska offer right? So maybe they re-offered out of respect and once they started digging more they found something they dont like. 

Or maybe its Duggan. Maybe when he saw the tweets after Martinez committed about our coaches saying we just landed the future of the Nebraska Program. Maybe he knows his is second fiddle day 1 he walks in.

16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I love Elsa.

Well, in that case, according to your own logic (in the post I quoted), the staff is just doing what you suggested, so no skin off their collective nose, right?

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It could be possible that because the staff is now at Nebraska. They are granted more inside info about local kids because they are sporting the N on their jacket. Maybe someone gave them some info they didnt like much. I understand they offered him at UCF- maybe they thought he was a good caliber player for UCF. I think they re-offered most of the kids who previously had a Nebraska offer right? So maybe they re-offered out of respect and once they started digging more they found something they dont like. 

Or maybe its Duggan. Maybe when he saw the tweets after Martinez committed about our coaches saying we just landed the future of the Nebraska Program. Maybe he knows his is second fiddle day 1 he walks in.

From what I could tell, Duggan was the only QB re-offered

2 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Well, in that case, according to your own logic (in the post I quoted), the staff is just doing what you suggested, so no skin off their collective nose, right?

It would make sense (TO ME!!!) if they moved on because he became less interested.  I will not be convinced they moved on because he was low on their list due to ability or fit.

41 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Did Frost also offer the other QBs we are currently after at UCF?  Otherwise, he may still be interested but now have others in which he is interested more.

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It would make sense (TO ME!!!) if they moved on because he became less interested.  I will not be convinced they moved on because he was low on their list due to ability or fit.

OK????  So????:dunno

Why?  This is a legitimate discussion about the player and his recruitment.  I was on no more of a tangent than anyone that disagreed with me.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Why?  This is a legitimate discussion

Yes, which is why it was only moved and not deleted

about the player and his recruitment.

It had gone on a TANGENT to include how Frost recruits others and how other coaches have recruited

I was on no more of a tangent than anyone that disagreed with me.

No one said otherwise