Huskers vs. B1G West

Bo and Riley taught soft football concepts. That has never worked here and never will. This is a place where you gotta play physical brand of football to win at an elite level and the head coach has to be a great player development head coach. We will never recruit at a level where you can just put someone out there and out athlete the other teams on a weekly basis. 

OL must lean when blocking, not the stand up and be a wall crap we have seen with the zone concepts for many years. The DL play hasn't dictated things at the LOS for most years going back to when Bo was hired. You gotta be aggressive and cause chauose on the OL to disrupt their rhythm and get pressure.

Under Frost we are back to teaching OL concepts that require them OL to be physical and lean block and the DL is back to attacking. 

1 hour ago, alohaah said:

Bo and Riley taught soft football concepts. That has never worked here and never will. This is a place where you gotta play physical brand of football to win at an elite level and the head coach has to be a great player development head coach. We will never recruit at a level where you can just put someone out there and out athlete the other teams on a weekly basis. 

OL must lean when blocking, not the stand up and be a wall crap we have seen with the zone concepts for many years. The DL play hasn't dictated things at the LOS for most years going back to when Bo was hired. You gotta be aggressive and cause chauose on the OL to disrupt their rhythm and get pressure.

Under Frost we are back to teaching OL concepts that require them OL to be physical and lean block and the DL is back to attacking. 

I am not sure "Pelini" and "soft" belong in the same post.  Player development: remember Demorrio Wiiliams, Prince Amakamura, Lavonte David, etc?

I think the only thing Riley ever developed was a man crush on his paycheck.

Edited by dvdcrr
  • Plus1 2

2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I am not sure "Pelini" and "soft" belong in the same post.  Player development: remember Demorrio Wiiliams, Prince Amakamura, Lavonte David, etc?

I think the only thing Riley ever developed was a man crush on his paycheck.

His schemes were soft. Not all players were soft. You will see the difference in a couple of years as Frost gets this rebuilt. 

17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

And much more of why Riley is gone, and should have never been hired.

Bo's record isn't much more impressive in Big Ten play.  Better yes, but it's like saying would you rather get hit by a car or a train?  Sure you're gonna live maybe from the car, but you're still getting run over and it's gonna hurt......a lot.

Edited by Redux
3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Bo's record isn't much more impressive in Big Ten play.  Better yes, but it's like saying would you rather get hit by a car or a train?  Sure you're gonna live maybe from the car, but you're still getting run over and it's gonna hurt......a lot.

Riley lost to Purdue.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Yeah...and Bo lost to unranked Northwestern at home when ranked inside the top 15.  And lost to unranked Texas at home when ranked #5 in the country.

Still not nearly as bad as losing to a team that had something like one Power 5 win in the previous three years.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Redux said:

Would you rather get hit by a car or get hit by a train?

.700 and .500 is a HUGE difference.

And.....

Two of Riley's three seasons were sub .500

This isn't a "car vs train" comparison.

If you want to do that with Riley vs Callahan, go for it..    

Edited by TheSker
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

.700 and .500 is a HUGE difference.

And.....

Two of Riley's three seasons were sub .500

This isn't a "car vs train" comparison.

If you want to do that with Riley vs Callahan, go for it..    

No, it's exactly a car vs train comparison.  Because neither scenario is ideal.  Sure one hurts less and one hurts more.  But neither is good and neither is desirable.  Why?  Because, they don't HAVE to be the only two options!  That was confirmed after the disaster 4-8 year when we hired an actual desirable coach for the first time since 1997.

But please, continue telling everyone how great Bo was 4 years after the guy got fired.  He was a mess, his bosses were a mess.  Just because his winnining percentage is better than Mr. 500 doesn't mean squat.  He hit a plateau and stayed there, and that's ALL on him.  His refusal to adapt,  his refusal to make staff changes, his refusal to get out of his own damned egos way!  Bo Pelini had a better record here than Mike Riley.  Big freaking whoop.  I can run faster than my 2 year old, that doesn't make me Usain Bolt.  Get over Pelini, I did and I feel great.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 2