Lucky #1

Lucky, Glenn share top spot

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006 - 02:31:20 pm CDT

At last, Nebraska football fans received a clear picture of the team’s intense I-back race. Well, sort of.

Sophomores Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn are listed as co-No. 1s on the Huskers’ preseason depth chart released Tuesday. They’re separated by only a “slash” mark.

Junior Brandon Jackson and junior college transfer Kenny Wilson are listed as co-No. 2s on a line below Lucky and Glenn. Jackson and Wilson also have just a “slash” separating them.

Throughout August, Nebraska fans anticipated some form of finality in the I-back race. The wait essentially continues, as Husker head coach Bill Callahan wouldn’t even go so far Tuesday as to say who would trot onto the field for the first snap of Saturday’s season opener against Louisiana Tech in Lincoln.

“I couldn’t fit them all on one line, so I had to put two on one line and two on the other,” Callahan said smiling. “They’re all going to play. I guess you’re going to have to come to the game to see who’s going to get that first call. It’s all based on what that first opening (play) is going to be.”

Callahan said the I-back on the field at any given time “will be based on play selection and personnel groupings.” He also said Husker coaches would use “feel” to determine a certain I-back’s rhythm and how it relates to how the rest of the offense is playing.

“It’s great competition, and all four backs are capable of playing at any time — and they’re outstanding,” Callahan said.

In other depth-chart news:

* Junior Bo Ruud is listed No. 1 at weakside linebacker ahead of classmate Steve Octavien, who missed four days of preseason camp after having his appendix removed. Octavien enjoyed a stellar spring of practices while Ruud was limited by a broken arm.

* Junior Chris Patrick won the starting left tackle job ahead of sophomore Lydon Murtha.

* At one cornerback position, junior college transfer Andre Jones is listed as starter ahead of No. 2 Isaiah Fluellen, a senior who moved from wideout to corner during preseason camp. At the other corner, junior Cortney Grixby is listed ahead of co-No. 2s Tyrell Spain and Titus Brothers. Spain also is a converted wideout.

* True freshmen Major Culbert and Ricky Thenarse cracked the depth chart as top backups at strong safety and free safety, respectively. Culbert is co-No. 2 with junior Ben Eisenhart, and Thenarse co-No. 2 with junior Bryan Wilson.

* True freshman Menelik Holt is listed as a third-string “X” wide receiver.

* Sophomore Dan Titchener, of Cheyenne, Wyo., won the starting punter’s job.

* Wilson and safety Tierre Green are the top kickoff return men.

* Touted juco Maurice Purify is listed co-No. 2 at "X" wide receiver.

As for the I-back race, Callahan emphasized it would be unfair for him to say one runner is better than another.

“I’m not in a comparative mode,” he said. “I think they all bring something different to the table. I can’t wait to watch them play.”

The coach said having four quality I-backs is a “good problem to have.”

“It’s the test for the coach here to try to find a way to get one ball into four guys’ hands and also feature a passing system in which you’re trying to get your quarterback to distribute the ball to your wide receivers,” Callahan said.

Callahan said there’s a tendency to overreact to depth-chart news.

“I think the initial reaction is to overreact and say, ‘Oh, this guy is the one,’ ” the coach said. “In the fans’ minds, everybody thinks there’s a great disparity between one and two, and there’s not.”

For instance, Callahan said, “Both Bo and Steve Octavien are excellent linebackers, and they’re both going to play for us. They bring different attributes to the defense.”

And don't be saying he's been given the co #1 slot because he may leave otherwise. That stuff's an insult to his ability and work ethic. I'm not saying that's what anyone in this thread has posted, but its been posted before. Callahan isn't the kind of coach to give players a spot so they won't leave his program. He makes each player earn his playing time. If Lucky is co #1 then you can bet its because he earned it by playing his rear off in the middle of the rb dogfight. I say good for him.

I do think Lucky deserves this #1 spot, and I'm glad he's got it. He just seems to be the complete, all-around feature back with the knowledge and skills to merit that position, while all preseason we've been hearing about the specials of the other guys. That said, we have a VERY crowded backfield. Lucky is a major talent. If he doesn't get a ton of playing time - if he doesn't start through the season - I would not be surprised if he leaves. Not a knock on his talent or his mentality. It's just, with a backfield this deep, one wonders if it would not actually be best for him to try his fortunes elsewhere.

That said, I hope he stays and has a heck of a career here.

I would rather have Octavien out there. Don't get me wrong, I love Bo, but Steve brings more athleticism to the D, and I would rather have him out there.

and that may be true, but obviously Coz thinks Bo has a better mental game.....at this point that is probably the case, but then again that might very well change as the season progresses.......

same goes for the running backs.....and i think it is silly to suggest that any of them should depart since they may not get enough playing time....remember, it is a long season and injuries, nicks and pulls are gonna happen.....we will see then how much depth means at this position as the season moves along...remember, none of these guys have proven season-long durability, so the jury SHOULD still be out on all of them........by November we should have a pretty good idea of who can produce week in and week out.....until then, this is ALL speculation...period.

hunter

It's a formality. Names on a piece of paper. Really, if you've learned anything from the Callahan era so far at NU it should be don't trust the depth chart. That's not to say the best guy won't be playing, it's to say that he coaches apparently see no value in keeping a list of names up to date.

As long as the capable kids are playing, I could give a ish about the depth chart.

As far as the RB's are concerned, it's a wash anyway. They'll all see the field barring injury.

As far as the RB's, I want the guy that isn't going to make mistakes, can make people miss by running around/thru them, and most important, isn't going to get Zac killed. I think all the RB's have the talent, equal to many and better than most in the big 12, and execution is going to determine who sweats and who doesn't.

As far as Octo, he's big, fast, athletic, and very INJURY PRONE. He's had more surgeries (4) than he's had quarters of D1 FB (0...1.5 if you count Maine). Ruud's been there all fall, hasn't missed any time and has probably earned the top spot for game 1. That's not to say Steve isn't going to play a bunch and isn't going to eventually be the starter by game 2 or 3. The Huskers are just fortunate to have the depth they have at Linebacker. Now as far as the secondary........

It's a formality. Names on a piece of paper. Really, if you've learned anything from the Callahan era so far at NU it should be don't trust the depth chart. That's not to say the best guy won't be playing, it's to say that he coaches apparently see no value in keeping a list of names up to date.

As long as the capable kids are playing, I could give a ish about the depth chart.

As far as the RB's are concerned, it's a wash anyway. They'll all see the field barring injury.

:yeah

Good point of view

:restore

Thats a good point, Callahan doesnt cater to egos to much.

You must have forgot about him placing Beck and Freeman upon pedestals.

Is this sarcasm?

I would guess that one of the reasons Beck (4th on the depth chart) and Freeman (you will redshirt) are not here is that they were not put on pedestals.

Good, humerous post! :thumbs

Thats a good point, Callahan doesnt cater to egos to much.

You must have forgot about him placing Beck and Freeman upon pedestals.

Is this sarcasm?

I would guess that one of the reasons Beck (4th on the depth chart) and Freeman (you will redshirt) are not here is that they were not put on pedestals.

Good, humerous post! :thumbs

Promising to only accept one verbal per year from a HS qb has put NU behind the proverbial 8-ball, or have you forgotten that?

I don't think that was sarcasm. "Nebraska NEEDS you; UF, FSU, Miami want you." That's quite a pedestal. Because you know what? We don't need him at all :)

They talk like that to every recruit.

You have to. However, I would hope that it has been painfully obvious that the staff doesn't hand out starting jobs. When it's all said and done, that's really all that matters.

I would like to personally welcome aweshucks to the board. It's been a while since we've had a good antagonist to respons to. Benard and FormerFan are lurking in the weeds hoping for disaster, but only aweshucks has the balls to come out and call out the Husks. Welcome.

That being said, aweshucks, you're completely wrong. That is unless your definition of "behind the 8-ball" is: having a proven QB this year returning, with another proven D1 QB waiting in the wings next year with an entire year under his belt in which he assimilated the offense. Yeah, I couldn't be more worried about the quarterback situation at Nebraska.

Now, to another antagonist who can't decide if he's a supporter or a detractor. ETR, you're basically a founding father of this board, so let me ask you WTF you're thinking when you spew this garbage: Lucky got the Number One spot because he was most likely to bolt if he didn't get it (paraphrasing)

Did you mean: 1) Obviously, Bill Callahan can not judge talent, but will award a spot in order to stop someone from transferring out of our program; 2) Marlon Lucky in no way deserves the number one spot, but we'll give it to him because high school hype and prima donna behavior play really well here in Nebraska; or 3) I'm smarter than you, C-Husker, and I know that if I post an ignorant comment, it's the best way to keep the board discussion going.

Let me know. Maybe I'll see you in Lincoln this weekend.