247: 23 Most Indispensable Huskers for 2023

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Nash Hutmacher is at 7 I don't know if I totally agree with that number

Too high or too low?

For me, its hard to rate most of the players on the defense in this particular list because the scheme is so versatile both by personnel and alignment and there is potential to have a ludicrous amount of rotation at multiple spots. Until someone breaks through, it's hard for me to say most positions have someone indispensable, and even then it is such a flexible scheme that you may be able to shift things to compensate.

I'm really big on Tony White's scheme and I thought they did a good job both in prep and transfer recruiting to add pieces.

9 minutes ago, brophog said:

Too high or too low?

For me, its hard to rate most of the players on the defense in this particular list because the scheme is so versatile both by personnel and alignment and there is potential to have a ludicrous amount of rotation at multiple spots. Until someone breaks through, it's hard for me to say most positions have someone indispensable, and even then it is such a flexible scheme that you may be able to shift things to compensate.

I'm really big on Tony White's scheme and I thought they did a good job both in prep and transfer recruiting to add pieces.

I'd say he's rated to high to my liking maybe if you want to put him at 25-15 range that's fine but you made great points as to why I wouldn't rate him that high.  Nebraska media has been drooling over him since highschool then when you say he's the polar bear the expectation is set really high for him to live up to.  Give the guy some time to develop and learn.  Yes I know he's been in college for a while but the Nebraska media wants him to be the star of the defense.  Let him earn the right to be the star instead of making him the star before hand.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yes I know he's been in college for a while but the Nebraska media wants him to be the star of the defense.  Let him earn the right to be the star instead of making him the star before hand.

I think some of that is also the last defense was really centered around a big nose tackle and as such was a pretty indispensable position. This defense, although also prominently using 3 down lineman, is more focused on flexibility. More fronts, more twists and stunts and more penetration.

To be honest, if this list was named "Whose the biggest casualty of the scheme change" then Nash is probably very near the top of that list.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:15 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

I'd say he's rated to high to my liking maybe if you want to put him at 25-15 range that's fine but you made great points as to why I wouldn't rate him that high.  Nebraska media has been drooling over him since highschool then when you say he's the polar bear the expectation is set really high for him to live up to.  Give the guy some time to develop and learn.  Yes I know he's been in college for a while but the Nebraska media wants him to be the star of the defense.  Let him earn the right to be the star instead of making him the star before hand.

Well, there's two ways to look at this.

A). A player is so good that he's indispensable.  

B).  The position is so important that the player expected to start there really needs to step up and be indispensable.  

I think Nash fits B and hopefully is A.

I'd agree with those top 3. The top 2 are probably less debateable than Kemp, but if this offense starts like I'm imagining it, where we see a lot of quick game, play action, RPOs and other ways to limit the liability up front, then Kemp could be a huge early factor. He's good on screens, gadget plays, and quick breaking routes. You can also move him around a bit. Just the kinda guy a QB can have a lot of confidence in. I think that's the mantra early this year for the offense is to find ways to move the ball, score points, and build confidence.

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Sounds like the game plan being suggested is the Frost attack.  Quick passes to the wings and tackle for -3 to +3 yards.   Hope not.  Better run the damn ball.  If u can’t block out side, run right at them. Play action passes.  Jmo. 

What do you think the R stands for in RPO?

The great thing about RPO plays in college, vs the NFL, is you can get linemen 3 yards down field, which with the way its called might as well be 10. You can still run power, lead, QB, damn near anything, really, and still be able to throw the ball. Your routes can also get further down field for the same reason.

All of those screens and stuff you don't like are constraint plays to make running the ball easier. A skinny post to a TE on an RPO is a constraint play to make running the ball easier. Putting defenders in conflict means you have one less defender to block, one less defender that can fill.

We can't sit here and talk about the offensive line not being good enough, year after year, and then have the solution be to run right at them. No, you get them good, and then you run right at them. Actually, you get good, you still use constraint plays, and then because your smart and choose not to have to block every defender imaginable your runs go from 3 yards to 10.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1