247: 23 Most Indispensable Huskers for 2023

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/huskers-offensive-lineman-nouredin-nouili-returns-from-challengi-212055074/  Nouredin Nouili is at number 9 So basically 247 feels that if any one of offensive lineman get hurt we are screwed for the development and success of the football team this year.  I don't necessarily feel that way bc our line over the years hasn't been anything special.

11 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/huskers-offensive-lineman-nouredin-nouili-returns-from-challengi-212055074/  Nouredin Nouili is at number 9 So basically 247 feels that if any one of offensive lineman get hurt we are screwed for the development and success of the football team this year.  I don't necessarily feel that way bc our line over the years hasn't been anything special.

This quote in the article says a lot.......Sadly, a significant drop off from an OL that was statistically one of the worst in the B1G and in the country......Rhule and Co have a lot of work to do.   Maybe with better scheme and skill positions, Rhule can off set poor OL play and get us bowling. 

They are not ranked based on perceived talent alone, but also with consideration to the depth chart and how significant the drop off might be if one of these players were out for any length of time.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

This quote in the article says a lot.......Sadly, a significant drop off from an OL that was statistically one of the worst in the B1G and in the country......Rhule and Co have a lot of work to do.   Maybe with better scheme and skill positions, Rhule can off set poor OL play and get us bowling. 

They are not ranked based on perceived talent alone, but also with consideration to the depth chart and how significant the drop off might be if one of these players were out for any length of time.

That's my point that Nebraska's o-line play has been bad that is there really a drop off in talent?

4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's my point that Nebraska's o-line play has been bad that is there really a drop off in talent?

I agree.  Unsure if anyone is better than another one....Unsure how there'd be a drop off of talent when we seem to really lack talent.  Not saying new scheme, S&C, attitude etc might help, but several years of watching the same old song and dance doesn't really have me too concerned if a "starter" goes out.  

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

MJ Sherman is at number 8

Sounds about right, or maybe even a little higher on the list than that.

I feel like it's really hard to know how high Jamari Butler's ceiling is. With Sherman, you know roughly how well he could be playing. Both of those guys on the field at the same time as much as possible is a must, IMO. I think Butler can run people down in space and make good tackles from what we saw last year.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Sounds about right, or maybe even a little higher on the list than that.

I feel like it's really hard to know how hard Jamari Butler's ceiling is. With Sherman, you know roughly how well he could be playing. Both of those guys on the field at the same time as much as possible is a must, IMO. I think Butler can run people down in space and make good tackles from what we saw last year.

Im glad that Butler decided to come back. Yes we all knew he was a so called raw football player that needed time to develop but I feel that we are going to finally see his potential shine.  Mj Sherman has already made a impact on the team.  Can you only imagine if his talent shines on the football field.

On 6/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, lo country said:

Unsure how there'd be a drop off of talent when we seem to really lack talent.

I think it is more to do with the offensive line being a position group that needs a lot of reps but will have very little to no rotation. As we've seen so often, you lose one guy and it becomes musical chairs trying to put together the next best group of five. One change becomes two or three.

Once this thing gets a few years down the road and you get to the point you feel really good about 10-12 guys, your left tackle going out just means you bring in the backup left tackle. Right now, the left tackle goes out and then the right tackle moves over then the right guard kicks out to tackle and no one is able to really get any good at one spot.

48 minutes ago, brophog said:

As we've seen so often, you lose one guy and it becomes musical chairs trying to put together the next best group of five. One change becomes two or three.

Yeah.

I believe having Nouili back is huge. But I feel that Prochazka's injury history probably puts him in a spot where he's a big question mark.

So...could be musical chairs again even from the start, potentially.