Nebraska Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Pretty crazy how many hated on and scapegoated a future Hall of Famer.

I really enjoyed watching him.  Maybe the fastest straight line player we've ever had. 

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...all the...."OMG, we are so horrible that we have a walk-on starting on the O line."

I laughed at the comment then when a walk on was good enough to beat out good players, but it has been a bit different recently as we've been down to walk ons as the best option available.  Big difference there. 

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I laughed at the comment then when a walk on was good enough to beat out good players, but it has been a bit different recently as we've been down to walk ons as the best option available.  Big difference there. 

You can't always tell which it is though - there are always scholarship linemen. So when a walk-on wins the job, is it because the scholly guys are bad or the walk-on is good? It's easy to say in hindsight Long was that good (there was actually quite a bit of OL talent on the team in the early 2010s), but when he first won the job it was not obvious and it was not taken as a good sign.

• TBH 1

Just now, Husker in WI said:

You can't always tell which it is though - there are always scholarship linemen. So when a walk-on wins the job, is it because the scholly guys are bad or the walk-on is good? It's easy to say in hindsight Long was that good (there was actually quite a bit of OL talent on the team in the early 2010s), but when he first won the job it was not obvious and it was not taken as a good sign.

I base it off of the overall quality of the line when that walk-on wins a spot.  The overall quality then was much higher than it has been recently. 

24 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I really enjoyed watching him.  Maybe the fastest straight line player we've ever had. 

When he was playing, he was the best lineman we had....and people were still making the comment.

It was pretty laughable.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...