PSU Rivalry

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

They do have a trophy. :dunno The Governors Cup 

Well...there you go.  Obviously KU and KSU only care about winning that trophy and not ever getting better.  

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe they also have a trophy.   The Cy-Hawk trophy if I’m not mistake.   

Same here.  ISU only cares about that.

As I'm now embarassedd that I didn't remember that since I lived there for 15 years.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well...there you go.  Obviously KU and KSU only care about winning that trophy and not ever getting better.  

Same here.  ISU only cares about that.

As I'm now embarassedd that I didn't remember that since I lived there for 15 years.

KSU was literally one of my examples of a program that has pulled themselves out of the cellar because they focused on beating the top teams in the conference and elevated themselves as a program. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fru said:

90% was a bit of an overreach. Rather, I’d say a majority of the B1G have the “just accept what you are” mindset. I don’t think it only applies to Iowa.

7 of the 14 teams have 6 or fewer winning seasons in the last 12 years. Minnesota has 7. Michigan, OSU, PSU, Wis, Iowa and Mich St. all have 9+ since 2011

Mich, OSU and PSU will assuredly always be formidable. 

Iowa has chosen as a program that they like where they are and won’t take steps to change anything. Even with their consistency, choosing not to elevate your program at a prime opportunity is about as defeatist as it gets. 

Wis is absolutely an outlier as a program that was horrific and elevated themselves to be perennial contenders. Before Barry that program was terrible. In some ways I respect them axing Paul and going after Fickell. We’ll see if it pans out. 

I wouldn’t put Mich St in the same category as Wisconsin. Yes 2015 was a great year for them but they seemingly squandered any opportunity to turn that into annual consistency. They haven’t sniffed that kind of success and have been on a downward trajectory ever since. 

Your arguments trying to backtrack your hot take are all over the place.

Iowa has chosen as a program that they like where they are -- so has Oklahoma State

Wis is absolutely an outlier as a program....before Barry that program was terrible -- all the same for Kansas State

The mindset of down teams in the B1G is “Celebrate 7 wins, bowl eligibility, and act as if it means you’ve arrived as a program.” -- Yeah because Indiana, Rutgers, and Northwestern are sooooo different than Kansas, Iowa State, and Texas Tech in terms of the amount of grit and gumption and tenacity they have to not be satisfied as mid-level programs. 

And since you brought up number of winning seasons as part of your argument, are you saying that Nebraska is one of the "just accept what you are" mindset teams?

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Your arguments trying to backtrack your hot take are all over the place.

Iowa has chosen as a program that they like where they are -- so has Oklahoma State

Wis is absolutely an outlier as a program....before Barry that program was terrible -- all the same for Kansas State

I admitted 90% was high. But I think my overall take is consistent. The majority of the B1G has attitudes about success that are at odds with what Neb thinks is successful. 

Since 2011 Ok St has played in 2 conference title games, winning 1.They’ve also played in 3 of the Major Jan 1st bowl games and finished ranked 7 times.

Since 2011 Iowa has zero conference titles, but has played for two, they have 1 Major Jan 1st bowl appearance, and finished ranked in both polls 4 times.

Fairly comparable with a slight edge to Ok St. The most significant difference though is Ok St isn’t choosing to hang on to the worst offensive coordinator in FBS football. Iowa’s ceiling is much higher than what they’ve done. They’re choosing to stay where they are. That is baffling to me. 

Agree on KSU and Wis. I think they’re very comparable programs.

19 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The mindset of down teams in the B1G is “Celebrate 7 wins, bowl eligibility, and act as if it means you’ve arrived as a program.” -- Yeah because Indiana, Rutgers, and Northwestern are sooooo different than Kansas, Iowa State, and Texas Tech in terms of the amount of grit and gumption and tenacity they have to not be satisfied as mid-level programs. 

I’d argue they are different. NW was staring down the barrel of a third straight terrible season and prior to the hazing scandal, no one was batting an eye about Fitz being on the hot seat. This program played for two conference titles and was just as happy with 1 and 3 win seasons. 

I have no idea what’s going on at Indiana. I think they’ve had two or three winning seasons since 1990. That program is lifeless. 

Rutgers is obviously trying to replicate the success they’ve had with Schiano. Who knows if he can get that rolling again. Rutgers is in a very different spot now than when Schiano was there the first time. 

Kansas has obviously been mostly terrible but over the years they’ve made a lot of hires that at least made sense at the time or on paper. Turner Gill, Les Miles. They didn’t work obviously, but hell at least they went for it. They even managed an Orange Bowl win. NW, Indiana or Rutgers never found their way to a Jan 1st bowl. 

ISU has also been mostly bad, but they even found their way to a Fiesta Bowl win. Again. NW, Indiana and Rutgers never have. 

Texas Tech found their niche with Leach and have been trying to replicate it ever since. But at least they went all in on air raid. It may have been a bit gimmicky but it worked for them and helped them create an identity. 

43 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

And since you brought up number of winning seasons as part of your argument, are you saying that Nebraska is one of the "just accept what you are" mindset teams?

I certainly don’t want them to be, but that seems to be the consensus from the rest of the B1G. 

• Haha 1