Possible Pod Systems?

I still like the pod system but it doesn't seem like anyone is going that route.

I posted this in another thread:

Seems like the pod system - despite seemingly making a lot of sense - isn't going to catch on anywhere.

But it would work out well for a 20-team conference.  Play your pod (five teams, four games) every year and one of the other pods each year (five games).  I would have the winner of those pairings play in the CCG but that probably wouldn't happen either.

With Clemson & Florida State:

Eastern - Penn State, Florida State, Clemson, Maryland, Rutgers

Central - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana

Northern - Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern

Western - Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, Mavric said:

I still like the pod system but it doesn't seem like anyone is going that route.

I posted this in another thread:

Seems like the pod system - despite seemingly making a lot of sense - isn't going to catch on anywhere.

But it would work out well for a 20-team conference.  Play your pod (five teams, four games) every year and one of the other pods each year (five games).  I would have the winner of those pairings play in the CCG but that probably wouldn't happen either.

With Clemson & Florida State:

Eastern - Penn State, Florida State, Clemson, Maryland, Rutgers

Central - Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana

Northern - Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern

Western - Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington

I like your pods @Mavric but I'd move Ohio State out of the central.

• Eastern - Clemson, Florida State, Michigan St, Maryland, Rutgers
  • Central - tOSU, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern
  • Northern - Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois
  • Western - Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington
30 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I like your pods @Mavric but I'd move Ohio State out of the central.

• Eastern - Clemson, Florida State, Michigan St, Maryland, Rutgers
  • Central - tOSU, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern
  • Northern - Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois
  • Western - Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington

I admit my pods weren't the perfect competitive balance.

But I think they'd go for preserving rivalries over that.

No way Michigan and Ohio State wouldn't be in the same pod.  That's the biggest game the B1G has to sell.  It has to be played every year.

The Northern pod isn't great but it preserves a lot of rivalries.  My two middle pods are the traditional B1G.  The Eastern and Western and the additions.  It's probably not even what I would choose to do.  But it's what I think would make the most people happy.

Yeah I understand your reasons for the pods but with the new super conferences being created traditional games are going by the way side. Nobody is excited about seeing Ohio State vs Michigan in back to back weekends. They just broke up a traditional power 5 conference so I highly doubt they'll be overly concerned with keeping annual rivalry games or at the least, keeping them as the "last" seasonal match up. It's all about the money now, tradition is gone. Also, I don't think Clemson, FSU & Penn State would be overly excited with the east when they see the weak north. Nor would the western members be happy. If pods are created they have to be clearly balanced. USC & Oregon | FSU & Clemson | Ohio State & Penn State | Michigan & Wisconsin... Those are the "traditional" power teams in recruiting hotbeds. The issue with Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Washington is the home state population isn't nearly as dense as the bolded teams. The new college football mantra to me sucks. I liked being able to discuss split national titles all off season. I miss the old traditional final weekend match ups but... it is what it is.

57 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Yeah I understand your reasons for the pods but with the new super conferences being created traditional games are going by the way side. Nobody is excited about seeing Ohio State vs Michigan in back to back weekends. They just broke up a traditional power 5 conference so I highly doubt they'll be overly concerned with keeping annual rivalry games or at the least, keeping them as the "last" seasonal match up. It's all about the money now, tradition is gone. Also, I don't think Clemson, FSU & Penn State would be overly excited with the east when they see the weak north. Nor would the western members be happy. If pods are created they have to be clearly balanced. USC & Oregon | FSU & Clemson | Ohio State & Penn State | Michigan & Wisconsin... Those are the "traditional" power teams in recruiting hotbeds. The issue with Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Washington is the home state population isn't nearly as dense as the bolded teams. The new college football mantra to me sucks. I liked being able to discuss split national titles all off season. I miss the old traditional final weekend match ups but... it is what it is.

Michigan/Ohio State was literally Fox's first pick out of all the games all season.  It was the most watched college football game last season and it wasn't close.  It is not going "by the way side" any time soon.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Michigan/Ohio State was literally Fox's first pick out of all the games all season.  It was the most watched college football game last season and it wasn't close.  It is not going "by the way side" any time soon.

They are considering moving the weekend The Game is played to avoid back to back games. I don't care what the system it is as long as we play every team in two years.

How about 1 protected rival every year, 8 others (alternate 8 each year), and 3 OOC games. If two OOCs are home, guaranteed 7 home games. 

Then instead of a championship game we have a championship weekend where the team with the best record plays the next best team they haven't played yet and so on down the line for 9 games. Best record wins the conference. No replays. What a hell of a weekend of games that will be, while the other conferences play just one game.

33 minutes ago, nic said:

They are considering moving the weekend The Game is played to avoid back to back games. I don't care what the system it is as long as we play every team in two years.

How about 1 protected rival every year, 8 others (alternate 8 each year), and 3 OOC games. If two OOCs are home, guaranteed 7 home games. 

Then instead of a championship game we have a championship weekend where the team with the best record plays the next best team they haven't played yet and so on down the line for 9 games. Best record wins the conference. No replays. What a hell of a weekend of games that will be, while the other conferences play just one game.

Yeah, I think the best option is probably to move The Game earlier in the year to avoid playing two straight weeks.

18 is the most teams you can have and play everyone in two years.  I think trying to get to every team every three years is probably more likely.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Anyone else hearing the rumors of moving to 10 conference games?

I haven't heard any rumors of that.  But I could see the TV networks asking for that so they have more inventory.  And possibly to help increase overall revenue to fill the gap by the newer-added teams to get them up to an equal revenue share.

• 3 weeks later...