What did we learn? La Tech version

Red Five

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I mean...he is 100% getting replaced next year via the portal.  So, I would not get super attached. 

It's weird to think though that this staff can get a dual threat guy that drops dimes all day though. He gets replaced by...who? Another Jeff Sims?

If our offense keeps running 22 man personnel and running behind a fullback all the time with no great long & athletic receivers on the horizon, I doubt we're pulling in the dual threat guy that's lights out in the passing game. This staff requires zone read running, so you have to be realistic about who we're really going to get.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's weird to think though that this staff can get a dual threat guy that drops dimes all day though. He gets replaced by...who? Another Jeff Sims?

If our offense keeps running 22 man personnel and running behind a fullback all the time with no great long & athletic receivers on the horizon, I doubt we're pulling in the dual threat guy that's lights out in the passing game. This staff requires zone read running, so you have to be realistic about who we're really going to get.

Maybe the staff won’t get a pure zone-read guy. Based on the high school QB’s they have recruited, I don’t know if there is one offensive requirement for QB. I think they want a QB who can run, but maybe they will move away from the “athlete first” type QB.

Either way, unless Haarberg improves significantly, NU will be going back to the portal for another starting QB, or at least competition. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Either way, unless Haarberg improves significantly, NU will be going back to the portal for another starting QB, or at least competition. 

Safe assumption, yes.

Just hoping this staff goes for the best guy they can get instead of absolutely having to have somebody who can house it off of a zone read keeper. I'd say they're squarely 0-1 there.

Let me get this right, when Haarberg passes for under 50% and barely 100 yards, it’s because of some throw aways and drops, not because he’s inaccurate passer? Wow, I’m sure some NU QB’s in the past would have liked that excuse making.

Haarberg has come in and done well running the ball against the 2 worst teams on NU’s schedule. I think he has earned the starting job for the time being. It still doesn’t make him a good QB.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
22 minutes ago, Undone said:

He will get replaced by a QB/Runner...

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Let me get this right, when Haarberg passes for under 50% and barely 100 yards, it’s because of some throw aways and drops, not because he’s inaccurate passer? Wow, I’m sure some NU QB’s in the past would have liked that excuse making.

Haarberg has come in and done well running the ball against the 2 worst teams on NU’s schedule. I think he has earned the starting job for the time being. It still doesn’t make him a good QB.

Husker fans are DYING for that hometown kid makes good story.

HH has played at home vs two lame teams and his passing has been super lame.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Is he the starter though, or is Sims still not 100%?

I tend to think that in Rhule's mind, Haarberg is the backup.

Sims is still injured, but I think Rhule and Satt are smart enough to realize that they should go with Haarberg for the time being. If anything, they roll HH back out for Michigan, and he looks like crap, so it’s easier to bring back Sims when he’s fully healthy. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sims is still injured, but I think Rhule and Satt are smart enough to realize that they should go with Haarberg for the time being. If anything, they roll HH back out for Michigan, and he looks like crap, so it’s easier to bring back Sims when he’s fully healthy. 

I'm not convinced Sims wasn't healthy enough to play against LaTech, suggesting the coaches were already using this strategy. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not convinced Sims wasn't healthy enough to play against LaTech, suggesting the coaches were already using this strategy. 

Healthy enough, yes...but his best talent is running.  No reason trot him out there vs a crap team where his ankle might get rolled up on.

Or they might just think he sucks, who knows.

• TBH 2

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Healthy enough, yes...but his best talent is running.  No reason trot him out there vs a crap team where his ankle might get rolled up on.

Or they might just think he sucks, who knows.

There is also no reason to roll Sims out as the starter against Michigan, when he may not be fully healthy, and regardless how well Sims plays, NU will still lose. Sims would be 0-3 as a starter, and HH would be 2-0, and regardless of who those opponents were, fans would start to turn on Rhule. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is also no reason to roll Sims out as the starter against Michigan, when he may not be fully healthy, and regardless how well Sims plays, NU will still lose. Sims would be 0-3 as a starter, and HH would be 2-0, and regardless of who those opponents were, fans would start to turn on Rhule. 

Super good point.

• Thanks 1

The fullbacks and tight ends were getting the blocks the OL couldn't, and that's what broke some good runs. Let's use the fullback a lot. You can still do everything from an I-Formation.

Grant was great and Kemp was fine, but this is still a good time to throw some of the young RB and WR backups into the fire and see what they're made of. 

This appears to be about the right run/pass ratio for this team. We shouldn't pass less, but we gotta pass better. 

Are we running the option if the QB never ever pitches it back, or even turns his head to glance? 

Northern Illinois and La. Tech aren't very good teams, but neither are a lot of the Big10 teams from what I've seen. That includes Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue and Michigan State — the stretch run after Michigan. Wouldn't even say we're more flawed or injured. With expectations near rock bottom, it could still be an interesting fall. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The fullbacks and tight ends were getting the blocks the OL couldn't, and that's what broke some good runs. Let's use the fullback a lot. You can still do everything from an I-Formation.

Grant was great and Kemp was fine, but this is still a good time to throw some of the young RB and WR backups into the fire and see what they're made of. 

This appears to be about the right run/pass ratio for this team. We shouldn't pass less, but we gotta pass better. 

Are we running the option if the QB never ever pitches it back, or even turns his head to glance? 

Northern Illinois and La. Tech aren't very good teams, but neither are a lot of the Big10 teams from what I've seen. That includes Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue and Michigan State — the stretch run after Michigan. Wouldn't even say we're more flawed or injured. With expectations near rock bottom, it could still be an interesting fall. 

Yep!

After Saturday, it is 7 super winnable games.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2