Neb Standing In Conference Realignment - our best fit

TGHusker

Nebraska can't go back to the Big 12. The $$$$ loss would be too great. 

As far as competitive advantage for football though, I can see why this is attractive.

When Nebraska was in the Big 12, the Huskers competed in a weak Big 12 North Division. If we won the division, we got a shot against a tougher team in the conference title game. Texas or Oklahoma. We played them in back-to-back title games in 2009 and 2010. We lost both, but we were close to winning. Maybe it would have been considered an upset, but we had the opportunity to grab a title that way.

After the Leaders and Legends broke down in the Big 10, we were in a similar position in the Big West. The West is way weaker than the East. We could still win the division this year and play Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State for the title. A win over any of those teams would be an upset, but we would get a chance to grab a title.

Next year, with Oregon, USC, Washington and UCLA joining the mix, we have at least three new teams and six total teams where it would be considered an upset if we won. And that could be the case going forward.

Losing to Michigan State meant that we lost out on a chance to win nine regular season games this year. And, going forward with conference realignment, winning nine games in a regular season seems very unlikely in almost any season.

Getting to the CFP seems unlikely too. When will Nebraska finish in the top three of the conference and thus be attractive to the CFP?

The bowl games could go away, although they're trying hard to re-work them and make it more likely that players will want to play in those and not opt out.

In a world with no bowls, Nebraska's season will end in November every year. Maybe we are used to that and maybe thank Scott Frost for preparing us for the future. LOL

In the Big 12, there is not a team that Nebraska couldn't beat. And if the champ gets a bid to the CFP, that would be hope. 

Got to say, right now, this all feels a little hopeless in the Big 10.

All we can do is win these next three, hope for a bowl win to get to nine games and then cross our fingers that the future is better somehow. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Nebraska can't go back to the Big 12. The $$$$ loss would be too great. 

As far as competitive advantage for football though, I can see why this is attractive.

When Nebraska was in the Big 12, the Huskers competed in a weak Big 12 North Division. If we won the division, we got a shot against a tougher team in the conference title game. Texas or Oklahoma. We played them in back-to-back title games in 2009 and 2010. We lost both, but we were close to winning. Maybe it would have been considered an upset, but we had the opportunity to grab a title that way.

After the Leaders and Legends broke down in the Big 10, we were in a similar position in the Big West. The West is way weaker than the East. We could still win the division this year and play Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State for the title. A win over any of those teams would be an upset, but we would get a chance to grab a title.

Next year, with Oregon, USC, Washington and UCLA joining the mix, we have at least three new teams and six total teams where it would be considered an upset if we won. And that could be the case going forward.

Losing to Michigan State meant that we lost out on a chance to win nine regular season games this year. And, going forward with conference realignment, winning nine games in a regular season seems very unlikely in almost any season.

Getting to the CFP seems unlikely too. When will Nebraska finish in the top three of the conference and thus be attractive to the CFP?

The bowl games could go away, although they're trying hard to re-work them and make it more likely that players will want to play in those and not opt out.

In a world with no bowls, Nebraska's season will end in November every year. Maybe we are used to that and maybe thank Scott Frost for preparing us for the future. LOL

In the Big 12, there is not a team that Nebraska couldn't beat. And if the champ gets a bid to the CFP, that would be hope. 

Got to say, right now, this all feels a little hopeless in the Big 10.

All we can do is win these next three, hope for a bowl win to get to nine games and then cross our fingers that the future is better somehow. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SoDak said:

The Big 12 is stable because nobody wants the teams that are there.  It is a second tier conference. As soon as someone figures out how to get around the ACC GoR  the SEC/B1G will pick up all the valuable teams from that conference and there will be 2 power conferences.  Either the ACC or the B12 will raid the other conference of the remaining okay teams and the other conference will go the way of the PAC.  There will be the Power 2, a Group of 5, and the ACC/B12 somewhere between those 2.

I agree with this.  As my original post says - We aren't going back.  I also stated that My # 1 hope is that The Rhule gets back into a competitive place by year 4 or 5.  

Yes Big 10/SEC will most likely evolve into NFL light. 

It’s kinda funny how people’s emotions can swing wildly from week to week, depending on how NU fares. I know they are just being fans, but I don’t know why so many people are now doom and gloom after losing to Michigan State. It’s one game from year one of this program rebuild. Nebraska didn’t play all that differently than they have in the prior 3 games, NU just lost that one. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This was my feeling after the MSU game - and probably the reason for the OP.    Again - the best outcome is for The Rhule to get us competitive again.  

100 percent agree. The feels after Michigan State were just not great.

If the current system were in place five years from now, I would have ZERO problem with believing in Coach Rhule to get NU to the top of the West and in a competitive position to go into the title game and pull off a win, even if that was a bit of an upset.

The conference shuffle has me a little concerned however, because the valley between us and Michigan at this moment seems so great. 

I would love to be wrong and maybe with the combination of our central geographic location and a great coaching job by Rhule, maybe this all switches up. 

That's where I get to the cross your fingers part.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This was my feeling after the MSU game - and probably the reason for the OP.    Again - the best outcome is for The Rhule to get us competitive again.  

You are miss quoting me - I didn't say that, ever.  It isn't hopeless at all, smh.  This is the first year of a new coach's tenure and we are exceeding expectations with a team full of 2nd and 3rd string players with very little in game experience.  If you think still being in the running for a conference championship, in November, is hopeless you need a reality check.    

24 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You are miss quoting me - I didn't say that, ever.  It isn't hopeless at all, smh.  This is the first year of a new coach's tenure and we are exceeding expectations with a team full of 2nd and 3rd string players with very little in game experience.  If you think still being in the running for a conference championship, in November, is hopeless you need a reality check.    

Opps - I see my error - I copied you as you had copied   @tmfr15    That quote was from tmfr

26 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If you think still being in the running for a conference championship, in November, is hopeless you need a reality check.    

No  I'm glad we are still in the running.  I think The Rhule is going to get us there eventually.  Just down from the results of the MSU game - jitters that we don't make a bowl again. 

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One game in Rhule’s first season has you all spooked in where NU should be conference wise?

No - I said we won't be changing conferences - money is going to keep us in the Big 10.    However it was disheartening seeing us lose to the east bottom dweller.  Buttttt I should be happy - we aren't the west bottom dweller where we were a few years back.   Yes I get it  - this is year one and it is going to be 2 steps forward and one back.

Is this some kind of joke?

Actually, the old Big 12, with Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri and Texas A&M and without teams like Cincinnati, UCF or Houston, is my ideal conference for Nebraska, and a league I'll always have nostalgia for. 

But regardless of whose fault it is (most people blame Texas, whether correctly or not), that league is now gone. Why would we want to go to the current Big 12?

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2