How much of the playbook are we saving for USC?

Just curious as to what everyones opinion is. Do you think we were pretty base with our playbook yesterday? Also on Defense, IMO i dont think we were showing much for blitzes. I would think we would like to blitz USC quite a bit because of their inexperienced qb. Just thought we probably stayed pretty basic on D also. IMO we wouldnt want to give USC too much to look at before the game with them. Why show a bunch of different packages if we dont have to. Hopefully we will blitz early and often in that game.

Just curious as to what everyones opinion is. Do you think we were pretty base with our playbook yesterday? Also on Defense, IMO i dont think we were showing much for blitzes. I would think we would like to blitz USC quite a bit because of their inexperienced qb. Just thought we probably stayed pretty basic on D also. IMO we wouldnt want to give USC too much to look at before the game with them. Why show a bunch of different packages if we dont have to. Hopefully we will blitz early and often in that game.

they have all of last year's film to look at.......they will be ready for our blitz packages......

hunter

I would find it hard to believe that they would "save" part of the playbook.

They will certainly tailor the playbook to the opponent, as with any opponent but I don't think there are some magic plays they are saving. With every opponent there are parts of the defense you would like to try to exploit. USC won't be any different in that area IMO. I'd actually like to see what they are going to try to exploit with USC.

I am sure we will see some different plays, but that's a result of preparation not some secret playbook entries.

We are saving a lot, we could have picked them apart through the air and you could see it at times but it was obvious they weren't opening things up at all. Defense didn't run a lot of plays, and offense did a lot of running and just safe 2-4 TE sets. Now we can't forget, I'm sure USC saved a lot also but it looks like we are hiding a lot of power

Just curious as to what everyones opinion is.  Do you think we were pretty base with our playbook yesterday?  Also on Defense, IMO i dont think we were showing much for blitzes.  I would think we would like to blitz USC quite a bit because of their inexperienced qb.  Just thought we probably stayed pretty basic on D also.  IMO we wouldnt want to give USC too much to look at before the game with them.  Why show a bunch of different packages if we dont have to.  Hopefully we will blitz early and often in that game.

they have all of last year's film to look at.......they will be ready for our blitz packages......

hunter

Thanks for clueing them in! :sarcasm:thumbs

I think we were pretty basic on defense, and less so on offense. And that makes sense...

On offense, I think showing more helps - it means that the defense has to prepare for more packages. Also, we tend to run an offense similar to USC; there's really no need to try and stay basic for that reason.

The defense is a different story. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that the thinking is that we remain basic on defense for the games leading up to USC. Meanwhile, our coaches study the hell out of the USC-Arkansas game looking for any specific areas where wrinkles to the scheme can come in handy - and hope that doing so can possibly rattle a first-time starter at quarterback.

I'd say we played very vanilla against Tech. Expect extreme vanilla against Nichols State.

Why show anything when you are able to execute vanilla? Very efficient performance - no reason to really show anything at all. I'm thinking, in some ways, that the D held back - maybe just to get some passes off against them. Maybe doesn't make sense - but there was a let down after the first quarter.

USC better have their game face on - Nebraska is NO cake walk - and, let's just see how their D holds up. Nebraska CAN win this game folks.

Oh we had to be holding something back!!!! If we aren't then I would be totally surprised!!!! I mean how many plays are in our offensive playbook??? I know it's a ton and if we only showed 6 different packages on defense then we obviously have more to offer there. We definately started off a little rusty, but it was the first game. Once we got going there was no stopping us and we dominated La Tech. Nicholls State should be a cake walk!!!! :thumbs