Announcers for Game

LAtimes link

ABC Takes Off-Beat Approach With Nebraska-USC Announcing Team

September 15, 2006

The announcing team working the new 5 p.m. college football series on ABC, and thus Saturday's Nebraska-USC game, is an eclectic group.

Veteran Brent Musburger handles the play by play, relative broadcasting newcomer Bob Davie is one commentator and Kirk Herbstreit, best known for his role on "College GameDay," is the other.

So how did ESPN, which now also runs what used to be called ABC Sports, come up with this lineup for such a high-profile series?

That question was posed to Norby Williams, ESPN executive vice president in charge of announcer assignments.

"Brent is a signature voice for ABC and ESPN," he said. "If you hear his voice, you know it is a big game. He has credibility and is one of the best in the business."

Of Davie, the coach at Notre Dame from 1997 through 2001, Williamson said, "We wanted to bring a coach's perspective into the mix. And his personality is starting to come out."

Of Herbstreit, who has done commentating on ESPN's Thursday night package of college games, Williamson said, "He brings energy and an entertainment factor to the booth."

I really dont care who they throw in there to announce the game as long as it isnt that bumbling old man Lou Holtz, If he were my grandpa then i would kick my dad for ever introducing me to his retarded a$$. Honestly its a complete show of pity by ESPN putting him in there to throw in a comment everyonce in a while :bang:bang:bang

Dont old ass retired people just play golf all day before they go play bridge that night with the rest of the old folks??

Nothing against old people, my grandpa is the best. The guy used to fly bombers in WWII and he still claims he can fly the planes iF the army called him into duty, THE GUYS 86 YEARS OLD, WALKS WITH A LIMP, AND HAS HORRIBLE EYE SIGHT!!!

DID I MENTION HES A HUSKER!!!!

:cheers THROW ONE BACK FOR ME MEN

DOES IT FEEL LIKE CHRISTMAS TO ANYONE ELSE, IM JUST HOPING WE DONT ALL GET A LUMP OF COAL!!!

dedhoarse <------------ I CANNOT STOP LAUGHIN AT THIS THING!!!!!

Great comments Husker4Life. I think you nailed it.

I wonder if Musberger will even want to come to Lincoln for the USC re-match next year. He got busted for drinking last time he was in town. I wonder if this will color his view of Big Red in a negative way?

He's bugged me since he used to badger Jimmy the Greek on air back in the '70s. He was everywhere on CBS back then.

I was disappointed to hear Davie was going to be in the booth as well, but Herbstreit will have some decent comments.

Musburger is the worst announcer in the world and should have been retired years ago. Unfortunately, it seems that he is announcing all the sports in the world and whereever I turn he is talking and I have to switch the channel.

I can't remember which year it was, but it was an OK - NE game in Lincoln ( I think early 90s) and it was a cold wet game and he just kept saying the stupidest things over and over about both teams and I wanted to throw the television out the window.

I saw him (Kirk H) when the Game Day crew was in Kansas City 5 or 6 years ago when Kansas State was playing OU for the Big 12 title. It looked like a pretty good gig then and it probably just keeps getting better over time.

Somebody last weekend, I think it was Brent Cheeseburger, said something to him like, "Man, I can't believe your schedule." And Herbstreit had the look of someone with the best job in the world...the "I can't believe I get paid for this" look.

what I cant stand about Musburger(besides his blatant bias against us) is that the man has NO CLUE when it comes to sports. I was watching chiefs a few years back and they went for a 2 point conversion, and he was talking about it, and then said " and this is of course worth 3 points in college". thought for sure it was a joke, but no one laughed and he just went on talking...... :bang

what I cant stand about Musburger(besides his blatant bias against us) is that the man has NO CLUE when it comes to sports. I was watching cheifs a few years back when they had the 2 point conversion, and he was talknig about it, and then said " and this is of course worth 3 points in college". thought for sure it was a joke, but no one laughed and he just went on talking...... :bang

Bad as that is, I think there is quality that is far worse. His incessant hyperbole. It manifests itself in the most irritating ways. Back in the '70s when Walton was with Portland - and healthy - Walton was pretty radical. The long hair, far left politics, etc. As a player, Walton primarly just wanted to play - he didn't like being part of the hype. Mussburger kept referring to him as "The Mountain Man" because of his hair, dress, and habit of riding a bicycle rather than driving. Walton took such exception that he actually demanded that CBS (Mussburger's network at the time) tell him to lay off. And he did...

But it's that kind of crap that irritates me no end.

Bad as that is, I think there is quality that is far worse. His incessant hyperbole. It manifests itself in the most irritating ways. Back in the '70s when Walton was with Portland - and healthy - Walton was pretty radical. The long hair, far left politics, etc. As a player, Walton primarly just wanted to play - he didn't like being part of the hype. Mussburger kept referring to him as "The Mountain Man" because of his hair, dress, and habit of riding a bicycle rather than driving. Walton took such exception that he actually demanded that CBS (Mussburger's network at the time) tell him to lay off. And he did...

But it's that kind of crap that irritates me no end.

Oh, no.... Mr. "I Can't Pronounce My I-N-Gs" Brent Cheese Bunger???

Sometimes Brent has something good to say about us, but he's usually pumping the other team.

He used to be good on the NFL Today back in the day.

Then he started doing college games. Then the NBA Finals. Then the Final 4. Then The Masters. Then Track & Field. Then the Pinewood Derby.

Then CBS fired him.

Landed on ABC. STILL can't pronounce his I-N-G's.

Listen... "play-EEN... visit-EEN... pass-EEN... run-EEN... punt-EEN... EEN! EEN! EEN!

:box

Herbstreit is good. Davie... sounds like a re-tard. No wonder he went 0-2 vs. Solich.

Somebody posted first- and I agree- Nessler is the best ABC has.