Defense

Carriker...1 sack? 1 sack for our combined starting three LBs? Maybe it was the gameplan against KU to defend the shovel pass, I don't know. Maybe there are more sacks to come. If you think about it, LaTech game was very vanilla on D, Nichols ran the ball every play, USC is USC, Troy we got some sacks against undersized linemen, and KU had a lot of experience up front. I really think our LB depth is hurting us right now with Octavien and Dillard out. We basically have 4 guys with the starters are Brandenburgh in there. I don't know but some of these guys better start picking it up by next week because if you give Meyer time to pass I think we all know who he will find. Overall, we need better play out of our D or this season could end up being a disapointment.

Carriker...1 sack? 1 sack for our combined starting three LBs? Maybe it was the gameplan against KU to defend the shovel pass, I don't know. Maybe there are more sacks to come. If you think about it, LaTech game was very vanilla on D, Nichols ran the ball every play, USC is USC, Troy we got some sacks against undersized linemen, and KU had a lot of experience up front. I really think our LB depth is hurting us right now with Octavien and Dillard out. We basically have 4 guys with the starters are Brandenburgh in there. I don't know but some of these guys better start picking it up by next week because if you give Meyer time to pass I think we all know who he will find. Overall, we need better play out of our D or this season could end up being a disapointment.

That's exactly what it was. In the OWH this morning Cosgrove confessed the D held back because the shovel pass had been so productive in previous games averaging 30 yds a play. Personally I don't think coaching in fear is a good gameplan.

That's exactly what it was. In the OWH this morning Cosgrove confessed the D held back because the shovel pass had been so productive in previous games averaging 30 yds a play. Personally I don't think coaching in fear is a good gameplan.

Yup, actually IMO you need to be fearless.

I don't understand that logic. So defending the shovel pass was the game plan and letting a running back get wide open whenever he wanted was ok? That doesn't make much sense to me. A first down is a first down and it was open all night and they marched right down the field almost everytime they had the ball.

I don't understand that logic. So defending the shovel pass was the game plan and letting a running back get wide open whenever he wanted was ok? That doesn't make much sense to me. A first down is a first down and it was open all night and they marched right down the field almost everytime they had the ball.

Me neither.

I completely forgot about him. Where are you Steve-O???

We need Steve-O to play and start contributing. Anyone have an update on his injury? What is it exactly and will he play at ISU?

I think this game at ISU hinges on our defense. We need to come out and make a statement. I think the blackshirts need to :nutz and hold ISU under 20 points for us to win at ISU.

I completely forgot about him. Where are you Steve-O???

We need Steve-O to play and start contributing. Anyone have an update on his injury? What is it exactly and will he play at ISU?

I think this game at ISU hinges on our defense. We need to come out and make a statement. I think the blackshirts need to :nutz and hold ISU under 20 points for us to win at ISU.

It's part injury, part not playing well really.

I don't know where people get this idea that he is our best linebacker. I'd say at this point our best backer is probably McKeon, although none played well last night. Sucks that Dillard got hurt.

I don't know where people get this idea that he is our best linebacker. I'd say at this point our best backer is probably McKeon, although none played well last night. Sucks that Dillard got hurt.

Agree McKeon is our best LB but Steve-O could provide desperately needed depth to our defense. Perhaps he could also give us a good effort to put a charge in the defense. Our D just looks flat. We need all the help we can get now that we will be on the road in conference play.

:restore

This whole holding back because of this shovel pass crap is B.S.!!!! We need to get pressure on the QB so he doesn't have time to pick our secondary apart!!!! Everyone knows we have a weak secondary and I guarantee you that ISU knows that..............This next weeks game is going to come down to a race of offenses IMO.......................We will win it because we have more threats on offense than they do, but our defense is going to need to get pressure on Meyer and our linebackers are going to have to spy him because he will run on them if they don't!!!!!

This whole holding back because of this shovel pass crap is B.S.!!!! We need to get pressure on the QB so he doesn't have time to pick our secondary apart!!!! Everyone knows we have a weak secondary and I guarantee you that ISU knows that..............This next weeks game is going to come down to a race of offenses IMO.......................We will win it because we have more threats on offense than they do, but our defense is going to need to get pressure on Meyer and our linebackers are going to have to spy him because he will run on them if they don't!!!!!

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, though.

If you bring the blitz, with a secondary that can't cover man-on-man consistently, you'd better get to the quarterback - otherwise, he's going to light us up. In particular, the short middle of the field is wide open.

If you try to protect the secondary by dropping linebackers, then you can't blitz.

The former can lead to really big plays - both by the defense and the offense. The latter at least makes an offense have to march down the field, increasing the chances that they will make a mistake at some point.

Well, get ready for more next week. Coz, in all of his brilliance, will more than likely not learn anything from the MU game last year, and be terrified of Meyer running the ball. So, he'll instruct all of his defensive lineman to "contain" Meyer, and thus, we will get no presure. He won't go to a Nickel package with four wide receivers, leaving our Backers' to cover wideouts (a mismatch no matter how you look at it), and ISU will carve us up again for about 400 yards passing.

We'll have to win next week in a shoot out because of Coz's lame defensive schemes.

Joy, Joy, Joy.