Were our D schemes just that bad?

Would like to hear what some of the real football experts think about this. I dont have a deep background in football X'ing & O'ing, I'll admit that. But what I saw Saturday seemed to me like a poor gameplan by our Defensive coaches. We seemd to be on our heels all night, and KU "took what they wanted". we look flat confused and did not throw them off their plan all night.

Could we have been "saving" some special stunts & schemes for our bigger Big 12 games?? Or does KU just have THAT much superior atheltes? I'd like to think this was KUs biggest game, and ours is yet to come, sooo. What do you guys think?

Could we have been "saving" some special stunts & schemes for our bigger Big 12 games??

Why in the heck would he save anything or hold anything back against ku? If you watched the game they were taking what they wanted on offense...and ended up taking the lead. It makes no sense to think we held back schemes and what not in this game as close as it was.

Or does KU just have THAT much superior atheltes?

No...we just played like girls. Not much more to say about it than to grow a pair and gear up for next week.

Would like to hear what some of the real football experts think about this. I dont have a deep background in football X'ing & O'ing, I'll admit that.

Is your background in architecture?

No, Im a Marine biologist.

Could we have been "saving" some special stunts & schemes for our bigger Big 12 games??

Why in the heck would he save anything or hold anything back against ku? If you watched the game they were taking what they wanted on offense...and ended up taking the lead. It makes no sense to think we held back schemes and what not in this game as close as it was.

Or does KU just have THAT much superior atheltes?

No...we just played like girls. Not much more to say about it than to grow a pair and gear up for next week.

So you truly dont think teams do this? What do you think KU was doing vs. S Florida last wknd? happens more than you would think. The fact (I just made up) is our staff overlooked KU, and thought we could get away with using a "short playbook". then the big lead actually became counterproductive, b/c it caused us to continue to drop haymakers (to run up the score & get redemption from last yr), which is a more risky offense than one which includes managing the gameclock. Boxers that know they will be in for a dogfight dont swing from their heels all night - they jab, cover, move around, wear their opponent down and make calculated roundhouses - we did nothing but throw punches like those kids in Jr high in their first fight, swinging wildly with 1 eye open and the other one squinty, while back peddaling. ALL. GAME. LONG.

Fact #2 I just made up: we shouldve played like a team that wanted a 20 point win, instead of a 50 point win. net result, 7 point win and shattered confidence.

:nanalama

All I'm saying is that Coz or whoever would not hold anything back in such a tight game...why would they hold back when it is so close? What you should do is throw in everything you got in trying to win.

I agree completely with you, in theory. But unforutnately gameplans in large part are established before the game, based on a teams previous game film, what are their tendencies etc. MY theory is that KU did a better job concealing their hand in their prior games, and Cos g-planned expecting a soft KU team that barely beat SoFla, isnted of the talented team they truly are. Yes coaches do make adjustments in game, but most of the time that results in a back peddaling bend-dont-break effect, which IMO is how the D looked all night.

My final theory & thesis: We were more outcoached last night than outlpayed. We will see in future Big 12 games the true potiential of our front 7 - do not write them off yet - they very well may live up to the hype. I look for improved scheming in the ISU game, and a much more "inspired" performance from the. probalby hold the cyc's to 14-20 pts. If not, then I agree our front 7 is overrated.

There were plenty of times we were going to blitz, but when KU went to change the play at the line, NU then adibuled out of the original play and went soft.

Also in those cases, some of the rest of the team didn't get the call. Some were in blitz, some were in base. Didn't do a lot of good comunicating on that side of the ball.

As far as "hiding his hand"... I've never and will never believe in that kind of thing. It goes against how this staff prepares for games.

I'm slowly losing faith in Coz. Every week i think, " Ok, he just took it easy, no big blitzes or anything, we are yet to see our real defense." But every single time, no improvement is shown... Im not sure what we are waiting for... But the thought is always there that this IS our defense, and there is nothing else about it.

KU did audible quite a bit so I think they just studied up on us real well and knew our defensive schemes........I also don't agree with holding anything back on either side of the ball...........you pound the rock down their throats or have them laying on their backs all night long and you don't let up until the game is over....

KU did audible quite a bit so I think they just studied up on us real well and knew our defensive schemes........I also don't agree with holding anything back on either side of the ball...........you pound the rock down their throats or have them laying on their backs all night long and you don't let up until the game is over....

Problem was we were so inconsistent in our running game. We would get a good run or two and then the next run would blow up in our face. We took a step backwards in the running game.

Defensively nothing seemed to be real effective. After watching the game again it looked like we had tried a lot of things on defense but nothing seemed to be real effective. And then there was the question of shoddy tackling and fatigue factor (where was the gang tackling we had been seeing vs lesser teams?). Plus the depth on defense is poor to non-exsistant or at least it was last week.

NU has major work still left to do and right now I can't call us a favorite to win division like most were saying before season started. The North is wide open once again...

On the running play that Glenn fumbled, I saw that he didn't wait for his blocker to pull around the line. He was in such a hurry to get downfield. He allowed two guys to come up untouched to tackle him and force the ball out. A little more patience would have been very beneficial to him on that play.

All I'm saying is that Coz or whoever would not hold anything back in such a tight game...why would they hold back when it is so close? What you should do is throw in everything you got in trying to win.

I agree completely with you, in theory. But unforutnately gameplans in large part are established before the game, based on a teams previous game film, what are their tendencies etc. MY theory is that KU did a better job concealing their hand in their prior games, and Cos g-planned expecting a soft KU team that barely beat SoFla, isnted of the talented team they truly are. Yes coaches do make adjustments in game, but most of the time that results in a back peddaling bend-dont-break effect, which IMO is how the D looked all night.

My final theory & thesis: We were more outcoached last night than outlpayed. We will see in future Big 12 games the true potiential of our front 7 - do not write them off yet - they very well may live up to the hype. I look for improved scheming in the ISU game, and a much more "inspired" performance from the. probalby hold the cyc's to 14-20 pts. If not, then I agree our front 7 is overrated.

Why in the hell when we either lose a game or all but lose a game, do you guys continually give credit to how good the opponent is/was? KU is not a good football team. KU was decent last year, but they graduated a lot of players. KU is maybe a top 50 team in D1. KU lost to Toledo who again might be a top 50 team. We got out played and we got outcoached nonetheless at home of all places. I guess getting our tail kicked between our legs at home disappoints me more than anything. If we're all going to have moral victories, then we have to concede Saturdays game as a moral loss. We have 2 ranked opponents left on the schedule. My guess is looking at Mizzou's schedule that they won't be ranked when we play them. So, this leaves us with just one ranked team left to play. We'd better take care of business or we won't have to worry about the Big 12 North. This week, we play ISU. If and that's a big IF at this point our defense shows up, the game should be handled easily. If they choose to play like they did against KU, then be prepared for another WAC game with possibly the last team to have the ball winning. It's not like we're playing Notre Dame's schedule. I would like to see the games we should take care of taken care of and a dogfight in the games we're supposed to lose possibly winning one of them.

Btw, does anyone still think USC is really that good? Their high flying offense put 28 against us, 20 against non-ranked Arizona, and 28 points up against non-ranked Washington State. Arizona is 2-3 and Wash. State who only lost by 6 to USC is 3-2. IMO, our 28-10 loss to them isn't going to look all that impressive from a Husker standpoint by the end of the season unless USC's offense pulls their head out of their ass. No way right now do they deserve to get into the championship game. If Ohio State, Auburn, and USC end up undefeated and Auburn gets dicked again; then we really need a playoff. I've always been on the fence of a playoff, but this BCS thing doesn't work. When the BCS was implemented, there was never supposed to be a Co NC. Well, we've already seen it happen once. USC is not playing championship caliber football right now.