Callahan's Piss Poor Excuse for a Close Game

One problem with Coz is that he subscribes to Bohl's school on LB placement. He has them too close to the line and they have no chance to react. Pelini had this corrected when he was here by backing the LBs up a couple yards.

I think the bigger problem was that vs the run, the LB's were allowing themselves to get caught up in the blocking scheme. Following everyone to the right while Cornish cut back. This goes for the middle the most IMO.

Kansas wore that play out all night long. You would think after the first time our LB's would recognize the play and react accordingly.

Bad games happen. Osborne and Devaney had bad games where the team came out flat, but people dont seem to remember those. For some reason a number of fans only want to remember the '94, '95 and '97 teams. Not the '96 team that got shut out at ASU. People called for osborne's head in the past too. Commonly saying he got outcoached, and couldnt manage the big games.

Or the close calls against a MUCH weaker Central Florida team at Home or the game against Mizzou that we got outplayed and outcoached. Both of those games were in 97 mind you. The only reason we beat Mizzou that day is because our talent finally took over in the OT period. People will NEVER admit that though.

Also keep in mind people didnt really think McBride was a great D play caller till they got the elite talent and speed in there.

Way to many people around here either weren't alive or choose to forget that McBride was the reason for most of the bad losses that the Big Red suffered until 1993. The 83 defense is one of teh worst to ever play at NU and probably cost that team the NC.

"It became a dogfight," NU coach Bill Callahan said. "You'll get into those types of situations in conference competition. That's the nature of the North Division."

You screwed up, Coach - admit it. Have some cojones and take responsibility, dammit!

I don't care if your critical of the team or the coach, but give us a reason :restore

1. As head coach, Callahoolie takes responsibility for both the successes and failures of the team. (Or else what the hell kind of leader is he?)

2. Callahan hired Cosgrove.

3. The defensive signals were not getting through to the players on the field Saturday night. If there is too much home team crowd noise, you better find a better way to communicate, Mr. Cosgrove.

4. Somebody or "somebodies" on the coaching staff forgot to recruit DBs tall enough to defend against the pass in the year 2006.

I don't think you can blame the recruiting of short DB's on the staff. Look at the NFL. How many 6'4 guys do you see playing DB who run a 4.3 40? How many DB's out there have the stature of a Randy Moss? If they do, they're playing receiver. That being said, I don't think there are many itty bitty's like Grixby playing in the NFL as a DB either.

If you go and look back at some of the great DB's who've played here at NE, I don't think you're going to find very many much over 6' tall. The biggest problem with our secondary this year is that they are so damn young. We've played a lot of freshmen before at DB, but usually when we did so they were playing with a bunch of upper classmen. I think Ralph Brown played a lot as a frosh as did Booker and Craver. It's nothing new to play DB's early, but you just can't play them all early with little upper class leadership on the field. On the bright side, these guys should be a lot better by the end of the season than they are now.

I don't think you can blame the recruiting of short DB's on the staff. Look at the NFL. How many 6'4 guys do you see playing DB who run a 4.3 40? How many DB's out there have the stature of a Randy Moss? If they do, they're playing receiver. That being said, I don't think there are many itty bitty's like Grixby playing in the NFL as a DB either.

If you go and look back at some of the great DB's who've played here at NE, I don't think you're going to find very many much over 6' tall. The biggest problem with our secondary this year is that they are so damn young. We've played a lot of freshmen before at DB, but usually when we did so they were playing with a bunch of upper classmen. I think Ralph Brown played a lot as a frosh as did Booker and Craver. It's nothing new to play DB's early, but you just can't play them all early with little upper class leadership on the field. On the bright side, these guys should be a lot better by the end of the season than they are now.

Barren Miles was one of the best "short" db's I remember. I remember him making multiple plays in the Miami game. I don't think he was much taller that 5'8". I don't think our corners are physical enough, nor do they have confidence.