Callahan's Piss Poor Excuse for a Close Game

"It became a dogfight," NU coach Bill Callahan said. "You'll get into those types of situations in conference competition. That's the nature of the North Division."

You screwed up, Coach - admit it. Have some cojones and take responsibility, dammit!

I don't care if your critical of the team or the coach, but give us a reason :restore

I won,t blame the coaches but I am not impressed with cosgrove and his ability to adapt schemes during a game

Agreed. I've never been a fan of Cosgrove. I kinda got spoiled by the crew Solich had here. Heard positive comments from the players almost daily. Now I hear nothing. I don't recall Coz ever having great defenses at (Wisconsin?) or where ever he came from. Didn't he commonly have defenses ranked in the 50's nationally?

We must also consider however that as much as we like our Linebackers are they really as good as all the hype? Is the D line as good as all the hype. I just don't know but I am not a big fan of Coz and confess I never have been. It seams that we are loosing battles in the trenches on both sides of the ball against quality opponents.

Yeah I don't blame the coach seemed like he had a great game plan but are players didn't execute them right. We should have lost that game I am glad we didn't. But it is the players who had the game so close. Zac Taylor wasn't on, had a few fumbles, and are secondary is very week and they kept throwing into are secondary and makeing big plays. I don't know who else we have for CB's but I think we need to next year start looking for some good recruits to come in that has the height and speed advandage to keep up in the back field. Are secondary does good for what we have but you can tell by a few missed tackles that there not real strong and also by the lack of interseptions in the secondary that they are not real tall also. Hopefully Coach C will figure something out threw the week and really pound it in are players heads and they'll come out next week and stomp all over ISU. If we don't get something figured out we are going to have a tough time beating Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State. But thats just my 2 cents. I know we have a good team except for are secondary, I believe our offense was just off this weekend.

I won,t blame the coaches but I am not impressed with cosgrove and his ability to adapt schemes during a game

Agreed. I've never been a fan of Cosgrove. I kinda got spoiled by the crew Solich had here. Heard positive comments from the players almost daily. Now I hear nothing. I don't recall Coz ever having great defenses at (Wisconsin?) or where ever he came from. Didn't he commonly have defenses ranked in the 50's nationally?

We must also consider however that as much as we like our Linebackers are they really as good as all the hype? Is the D line as good as all the hype. I just don't know but I am not a big fan of Coz and confess I never have been. It seams that we are loosing battles in the trenches on both sides of the ball against quality opponents.

Ditto. I've never been impressed with Cosgrove. Even his defense when he was the DefCord for Wisconsin wasn't very good. I would like nothing more than to see him canned after this year and someone new brought in.

Other than that, I don't blame Callihan for the way we played Saturday night. I blame the players.

I agree with you people. Coach C didn't call a bad game in fact he did just what we wanted him to do at USC. He opened up the play book and kept attacking even with a 17-0 lead. I don't think Taylor had his a-game going and the D wasn't swarming to the ball the way they can. O-line is still without Mann.

I think the days of blowing other teams out is going to be a rare thing when we start playing the conference games. I don't care if we win the rest of them by 1pt. Time to get ready for a new style of Husker football. The ball control days of long drives and clock eating are gone. Those quick strikes for T/D's are nice but it also gets the other team back on the field and doesn't give the defense as much rest. We should be in for some tight games the rest of the year. IMHO...

GBR!!!

I think you bring up a good point. They all play pretty good fundamental football. They make tackles because they're usually in the right spot. But as far as athletes, were a ways off. Near the end of the game is a perfect example. KU runs an option to the right, we string it out perfectly, Barnman does an awful job, he pitches to Cornish who proceeds to outrun Bradley, who has the angle on him, to the corner for the first down.

They're great guy, they play hard, but have average speed and size. They intimiddate no one.

Gimme a break. The coach called the game fine. You try coaching around 3 turnovers, bad passes and missed opportunities.

I watched a bit of the game last night before I hit the sack. On those zone blocking runs, our linebackers were pretty much never reading the play correctly and would get sucked in to the blocking scheme. Leaving the play to the safeties and corners.

I don't know if this shows a lack of preparation or just horrible play. It's really hard to tell, but if you ask me, this isn't something Kansas just started doing. It HAD to be in film. Everyone on the team, including the defensive staff had to have seen it. I find it hard to believe that he defensive staff just totally ignored it.