Big 12 upholds touchy calls

Big 12 upholds touchy calls

By RANDY PETERSON

Register Staff Writer

October 10, 2006

Ames, Ia. - The Big 12 Conference on Monday upheld controversial calls made by officials during Iowa State's 28-14 loss to Nebraska on Saturday night at Jack Trice Stadium.

Officials ruled on the field that Cyclone receiver Todd Blythe committed pass interference before catching a 29-yard pass in the end zone from Bret Meyer on the fifth play of the third quarter against the Cornhuskers.

On the next possession, officials ruled that Austin Flynn bobbled an 11-yard pass in the end zone before going out of bounds.

"The calls were reviewed and determined to be correct as they were called on the field," Bob Burda, assistant Big 12 Conference commissioner in charge of communications, said Monday.

Iowa State coach Dan McCarney requested the conference examine those two plays that most among a crowd of 55,338 originally cheered as touchdowns.

"There were 14 points worth of calls," McCarney said. "It's not going to change the outcome of the game, but we want to get their interpretation of those two plays."

The Cyclones now have to regroup at No. 23 Oklahoma at 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Iowa State owns records of 0-2 in the conference and 3-3 overall, while the Sooners are 0-1 and 3-2.

"We have to correct some things on offense," said McCarney, whose team averages 107.3 rushing yards a game, 89th in the nation and 10th in the conference. "Take controversial calls out of it and whatever impact that had in the game - we still aren't doing enough good things right now to score more.

"It's execution, it's more physical blocking up front, and it's giving Bret more opportunities to make more plays.

"We need better overall execution by our offense."

That includes scoring on possessions near the end zone. It means moving on after controversial calls.

"We have to be good enough to overcome things like that," Blythe said Monday. "Enough's enough. Take a stand. Put a foot down. Be a man. Step up and start making plays.

"That's every position on the team - from quarterback, to receiver, to running back to offensive line. Everyone on offense has to say we know we have the guys to get this done. It's time to start doing it."

Blythe included himself.

"I didn't push off any more than usual, so you can take that any way you want," he said Monday. "The (defender) came up to me on the next play and said he didn't even feel me touch him. I told him to tell the ref that."

Blythe chuckled when asked if he has ever gotten away with pushing off a defender.

"Maybe I've given a little nudge before, but I try not to do it too blatantly," he said. "The touchdown was one of those plays I guess I got caught."

Yeah I thought that call was a good one surprised the ref even spotted it but as far as the touchdown I didn't think that call was right I thought they had it. But if after reviewing it and they said he bobbled it and didn't have control of it then I believe it. We have had some touchdowns called back on us this year for either not haveing are feet in bounds or whatever. Its life you just have to move forward.

Good, but I still have to listen to all these Iowa State fans complaining for the rest of year and till the end of time most likely!!! :wacko:

I know exactly what you mean. It seems ISU fans are constantly bitching about something. It must be hard living under a "it is always somebody else's fault" type ideology. I guess I would complain all of the time if were an ISU fan (or take a bath with a plugged in toaster).

I teach a couple of students who are ISU fans and they keep on saying that ISU would have won if it wasn't for those two calls. I mentioned the fact that we were cramming the ball down their throats and couldn't stop it, but to no avale, they just kept blaming the ref.

Hopefully they will realize that they are not that good and maybe get over it....I DOUBT IT!!!