Dan McCarney Out at Iowa State

From ESPN.com

Even prior to a meeting with athletic director Jamie Pollard on Tuesday night, Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney expressed doubt that his tenure as dean of Big 12 Conference head coaches would extend past this season.

McCarney

"I don't feel good about it, the opportunity to stay," said McCarney, whose Cyclones are 3-7, 0-6 in the conference. "I think it's over. I think he's going to ask me to resign."

Wednesday, Des Moines television station KCCI, citing a single unnamed source, reported that McCarney will step down. Later, TV station WHO reported the same thing.

McCarney, in his 12th season at Iowa State, went only 13-42 in his first five seasons as head coach. But the university stuck with him, and McCarney turned the corner in 2000 when the Cyclones went 9-3, their first winning season since 1989.

Iowa State went to a bowl game that season and in four of the next five years. McCarney's five bowls are one more than the school had been to in a history that dates to 1892.

However, McCarney never won the Big 12 North. In 2004 and 2005, Iowa State lost its regular-season finale in overtime when a victory would have meant the division championship.

McCarney's record at Iowa State is 55-84 (.396).

Pollard, who took over the athletic department 14 months ago, has already replaced the coaches of his other two main revenue sports, hiring Greg McDermott as men's basketball coach and former Cyclone All-American and Olympic gold medalist Cael Sanderson in wrestling.

"Jamie is a good, sharp, young athletic director," McCarney said. "He made moves in basketball and wrestling. We gave him [a reason] to do that. It's sad. We've really had a tough year and a real disappointing year."

Big mistake ISU. Who are you going to find to replace him with? Who is going to coach any better. You have a stable coach who would win again in the future and who didn't have the desire to coach elsewhere. Even if you find someone who is as good as McCarney, he would likely look at ISU as a stepping stone for bigger and better things -- Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce. Bad. Bad. Bad.

P.S.: What is Phillip Bates going to do?