Focus quickly turns to Huskers

By Chris Dempsey

Denver Post Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:11/12/2006 11:53:10 PM MST

Boulder - It wasn't long until the media yawned at Colorado's 33-16 victory over Iowa State and got down to the business of asking everyone associated with the football team about the "real" game around these parts - the Buffs' Nov. 24 game at archrival Nebraska.

And once the first question was asked, the floodgates opened. CU players and coaches talked openly about the momentum they hope to carry over to playing Nebraska. It's a game that if CU wins, some say the Buffs' season becomes bearable.

"The season is behind us, the losses are behind us," guard Brian Daniels said. "Winning in Lincoln I know would make my season and make the seniors' season. It would really give the Buffs the platform to start on the incline. It's a big game and a big deal, and we're going to go out there and give it everything we possibly have."

There might be a question about the effort level of the Cornhuskers, who wrapped up the Big 12 North Division title and a berth in the conference championship game with a 28-27 victory at Texas A&M over the weekend. Now the game between Nebraska (8-3, 5-2) and CU (2-9, 2-5) has no meaning for either team, except the fact that it's a rivalry game.

And mostly, that's all that matters. But the Buffs have extra comfort knowing they will enter the nationally televised game on a high note.

"I think this win provides a huge push for Nebraska," safety J.J. Billingsley said. "After our first win against Texas Tech, our confidence was up so high, and now this will push into our game with Nebraska."

Nebraska enters the game with momentum of its own, owning a two-game win streak punctuated by the last-minute victory at Texas A&M that clinched the division title. The Huskers have defeated Colorado in two of their past three matchups, but the Buffs have won the past two meetings in Lincoln.

Colorado is confident a repeat performance in Lincoln can happen.

"If we play like we played (Saturday against Iowa State), it's hard for us to be denied," quarterback Bernard Jackson said. "We just have to come out fast, finish fast and execute how we're supposed to execute and we'll be all right."

CU is getting its best play from Jackson at the right time. In the past two games the junior has passed for 345 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 174 yards and three touchdowns. He has not thrown an interception in his past two games and has just two in his past 88 attempts.

Against Iowa State, Jackson had a career-high passer rating of 191.6.

"Nebraska always comes ready to play," linebacker Thaddaeus Washington said. "We have to go to Lincoln and be ready to go in there and try to win a ballgame."

Washington has had solid games against Nebraska.

"It's going to be a great feeling, just being in Lincoln, with all the red all over," Washington said. "The last time I was in Lincoln, I came out with a great feeling. I had two interceptions and a gang of tackles, so it was great."

Chris Dempsey can be reached at 303-954-1279 or cdempsey@denverpost.com.

Like I've said before...if they want to win one game it's this one. Rarely do you hear players/coaches admit, yep, the season's over and we sucked, but we've been gearing up for this. They are firing on all cylinders...even if it is only an inline 4. We better be ready to play.

However I'm sure this will be followed with comments like "We are going to smear the Buffa-pukes all over Memorial Stadium" and score predictions of "92 to -17".

"Nebraska always comes ready to play," linebacker Thaddaeus Washington said. "We have to go to Lincoln and be ready to go in there and try to win a ballgame."

"It's going to be a great feeling, just being in Lincoln, with all the red all over," Washington said. "The last time I was in Lincoln, I came out with a great feeling. I had two interceptions and a gang of tackles, so it was great."

If their premier LB is thinking they are going to come to Lincoln and play the 2004 team, they are in for a very rude awakening. There is NO comparison between that team and the 2006 Huskers. If he leaves with a great feeling this year, it's going to be from the pain pills he'll be taking after trying to stop any one of the Husker running backs! :corndance

Is anyone really surprised by this. This is their bowl game and they would love nothing more than to come into Lincoln and beat us. They are going to be fired up and hold nothing back in this game. We better be ready for all sorts of trick plays, fake field goals, and onside kicks. If we are not on top of our games both physically and mentally, and allow them to hang around, then we could be involved in a close game. However, if we jump out early, they might not have the mental makeup to get back in the games like KU and OSU did to us.

Is anyone really surprised by this. This is their bowl game and they would love nothing more than to come into Lincoln and beat us. They are going to be fired up and hold nothing back in this game. We better be ready for all sorts of trick plays, fake field goals, and onside kicks. If we are not on top of our games both physically and mentally, and allow them to hang around, then we could be involved in a close game. However, if we jump out early, they might not have the mental makeup to get back in the games like KU and OSU did to us.

I think if there's anyone who understands this, it's Bill Callahan. We'll be ready. Especially after two weeks.

The hate between these teams is mutual after last years debacle in boulder... I agree with looking at things objectivly cmb, but do you honestly think that our defense is what lost that game for us... i believe it would be the man that has thrown far more interceptions than td;s in his career, here and @ NC. You're right our defense was better that year...but that was in 04...this is a new team... i don't see them beating us...it could be another close nail biter, just because it's a rivalry game. Don't think our guys are gonna just sit on their haunches and think about texas just yet. They HATE colorado just as much as we do...

Huskers 42 17

It always seems like NU does better when they have more than a week to prepare for a game. I think they have complicated offensive and defensive schemes and with extra preparation they will play better. Plus NU will take CU seriously because they won last week and cause CU is fired up for this game. I am not worried about the Huskers losing, but they can't be overconfident.

By Chris Dempsey

Denver Post Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:11/12/2006 11:53:10 PM MST

Boulder - It wasn't long until the media yawned at Colorado's 33-16 victory over Iowa State and got down to the business of asking everyone associated with the football team about the "real" game around these parts - the Buffs' Nov. 24 game at archrival Nebraska.

And once the first question was asked, the floodgates opened. CU players and coaches talked openly about the momentum they hope to carry over to playing Nebraska. It's a game that if CU wins, some say the Buffs' season becomes bearable.

"The season is behind us, the losses are behind us," guard Brian Daniels said. "Winning in Lincoln I know would make my season and make the seniors' season. It would really give the Buffs the platform to start on the incline. It's a big game and a big deal, and we're going to go out there and give it everything we possibly have."

There might be a question about the effort level of the Cornhuskers, who wrapped up the Big 12 North Division title and a berth in the conference championship game with a 28-27 victory at Texas A&M over the weekend. Now the game between Nebraska (8-3, 5-2) and CU (2-9, 2-5) has no meaning for either team, except the fact that it's a rivalry game.

And mostly, that's all that matters. But the Buffs have extra comfort knowing they will enter the nationally televised game on a high note.

"I think this win provides a huge push for Nebraska," safety J.J. Billingsley said. "After our first win against Texas Tech, our confidence was up so high, and now this will push into our game with Nebraska."

Nebraska enters the game with momentum of its own, owning a two-game win streak punctuated by the last-minute victory at Texas A&M that clinched the division title. The Huskers have defeated Colorado in two of their past three matchups, but the Buffs have won the past two meetings in Lincoln.

Colorado is confident a repeat performance in Lincoln can happen.

"If we play like we played (Saturday against Iowa State), it's hard for us to be denied," quarterback Bernard Jackson said. "We just have to come out fast, finish fast and execute how we're supposed to execute and we'll be all right."

CU is getting its best play from Jackson at the right time. In the past two games the junior has passed for 345 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 174 yards and three touchdowns. He has not thrown an interception in his past two games and has just two in his past 88 attempts.

Against Iowa State, Jackson had a career-high passer rating of 191.6.

puke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gif