Coaching Philosophy and redshirts

In the USC-Cal game last Saturday the announcers were talking about a discussion they had with Pete Carroll. Carroll told them that he doesn't believe in reshirting players and when he recruits them he tells them he expects them to contribute right away.

It has been stated that Coach Callahan admires Carroll and uses USC as the model for the WCO. It would also appear that Carroll may have shared this philosphy which Coach Callahan has put into practice since he got here.

In the USC-Cal game last Saturday the announcers were talking about a discussion they had with Pete Carroll. Carroll told them that he doesn't believe in reshirting players and when he recruits them he tells them he expects them to contribute right away.

It has been stated that Coach Callahan admires Carroll and uses USC as the model for the WCO. It would also appear that Carroll may have shared this philosphy which Coach Callahan has put into practice since he got here.

It all depends on the kid and the situation. There is no reason to burn a red shirt that they didn't have to. But, if a kid can pick up the offense or defense and can contribute on the field better than anyone else at that position, the you burn the redshirt. But, it's a balancing act. Now or the future. My sense is that the Now has been heavier recently but as talent rises and the BC program matures, he'll be more conservative with red shirts.

My two cents anyway.

:bonez

As our recruiting classes start to get better and better, I don't see the importance of redshirting that many. If they can come in and contribute to the team, then they should be playing.

Also, if they do start getting better, Who's to say they won't leave early for the NFL? Making the Redshirt year a waste, anyway.

If they have the ability to play as a Freshman, they are not going to be here for four years anyway. You got em, burn em. Most are only concerned with themselves, not the program. No need to be concerned on our part. Play early, play quick is what all are looking for. If they believe they are good enough to play for Nebraska, then do it as soon as possible. If they aren't it's no big deal. We get no style points. We need the best, the strongest, the smartest. The better the recruiting gets the less chance of a red shirt I think.

Depends on the posistion and the player. I dont know if I would ever start a true freshman O-lineman unless there was a rash of injuries. If they are better than the older guy, play em. But I have always looked at it that if you need to use lots of true freshman, you had breakdowns in recruiting in the past.

If a guy can play, get him on the field. It seems that BC has burned redshirts on guys to play mopup or spot duty. If the guy can't contribute I say don't burn the year, let him learn, grow, and contribute down the road.

hmmmm

did john david booty red shirt? how about mark sanchez last year?

call me crazy but i think that carrol is red shirting the qb's at least to get more experience in the system that he is running