Official - Callahan annouces:Blake to UNC

Dont get so worked up over a coach leaving to 'move up' to co-ords or HCs. The fact that others desire the coaches that work under Callahan is a great thing. How often do you hear about Hayden Fry and where his staff members are now? How about Bill Parcells? I hate to lose good people. But as long as we can replace them with more good people there isnt a problem.

Do you really want a staff of coaches that do not have the drive to become Head Coaches themselves?

Hello again,

This situation is painful to watch. John Blake is a tremendous recruiter, further more, a good human being. I just wanted to take a minute to remind everyone that while this is a huge loss, it's important that we all maintain our positive vibe for Coach Blake. It seems to me with both recruits and coaches that when someone chooses to take a non-Husker path, the haters all come out of the woodwork. He was offered a slightly better job in a different place. He appears to be accepting that position. This is not because of any world dominating vision that he has. John Blake would choose to leave because he is a builder. He built the talent framework for Oklahoma's 2000 team. He has done the same for us with the 2007,2008 Huskers. He will move on and do the same thing anywhere else, because that is what he does.

Principals, Ministers, and CEO's do this as well. They lay the groundwork for success, move on, and do it elsewhere. I am thankful as a fan that John Blake has been a builder for Nebraska Football. I wish him all the success in the world, and am proud of what he has been able to accomplish here in both recruiting and helping young men build character.

i agree, you can't hate Blake for leaving, but it will be damn hard to replace him...we have no one recruiting for us now that has near his ability to talk to these kids.....this will hurt the program immensley......

Didnt he help bring in Lucky and Jackson and a few others I cant remember??

Also.......Is he gunna stay until after the bowl game or not?

Damn, this is not good news. Blake is one hell of a human being and i wish him nothing but the best. He is doing what any one of us would do. he is doing what he thinks is best for him and his family.

thank you Coach Blake, for everything that you have done to help restore the order here at NU.

good luck to you

I was hoping we could find a way to keep him and his recruiting ability. I respect the man and his decision but I don't have to like it. The Huskers will continue to move forward and this is just the first of the coaching changes we will see in the future. As programs succede others will try and pull the talented younger coaches away. Good luck John Blake. Thank You for your time at Nebraska.

GBR

I think if there was any way to keep him Callahan would have put some sort of package together. He must have had his mind made up for awhile. I guess the old days of staying with a program are over unless you have close ties with the school. I hate to see him go, it can't help with our recruiting for the rest of this year. He may have had only one kid committing so far but there were quite a few on the fence that he was working with. I doubt if we stay in the top 10 now, but we do have a lot of good ones moving up next year. Time will tell how big a hit this has on recruits for this year.

Best of luck Blake and thanks for your work while you were here.

GBR!!!

Good luck to Blake. Hate to see him leave but if he feels UNC is where he needs to be, I wish him the best.

I don't think we'll see much drop off in recruiting. Callahan himself is very good at recruiting as are a few other coaches. Early rumors so far being circulated are Eric Roark and John Palermo could be candidates (according to OWH)