Are you satisfied with Callahan?

I don't want to start a flame war, because I do like Callahan. But to anyone who believe it takes 4-5 years to rebuild a program...I have two words...Urban Meyer.

Wait...sorry...two more...Charlie Weis.

Both Wiese and Meyer came in under different circumstances. Their teams already had some passing personel. Not to say they have not done a great job, but BC had much larger obstacles to conquer. Notre Dame and Florida needed a facelift, Callahan had to replace the whole head.

I don't want to start a flame war, because I do like Callahan. But to anyone who believe it takes 4-5 years to rebuild a program...I have two words...Urban Meyer.

Once again. Look deeper. Florida had A-list talent for urban meyer. There wasnt much to rebuild. Prior to Meyer florida went 6-2 in the SEC time years in a row., and 5-3 meyer's first year. Not exactly a horrible run. Zook wasnt the best coach in the world, but the man could recruit.

Weis had Willingham do all the dirty work at ND too. Willingham started the change to a pro style offense, Weis got to come in and take over in basicly year 4. And ND still hasnt beenen anyone. They played 2 good teams and got smoked by them.

Not only did Urban and Charlie come into much better situations that Callahan did, but it's also easier to recruit for Florida and Notre Dame than it is for Nebraska. That being said, who exactly has Notre Dame beat to make Weis so impressive? Ohio State? Michigan? USC? No, no, and more no. I think he has beat one ranked team since becoming head coach, and he has gotten blown out of the water repeatedly by decent teams. If Nebraska had Notre Dame's schedule this year we would be 11-2 also.

To respond to my post as you did is idiotic.

The general, blanket statement was made that it takes 5-7 years to rebuild a program. I pointed out two places where the talent was similar to NU's IMO, and said that those two were different.

I never said anything about Callahan completely changing the offense, as the blanket statement didn't.

Seriously, do you guys actually read the posts, or do you just drink the Kool-Aid?

I have defended Callahan a lot on here. I never said he could have turned NU around in 2 years. Please read my posts before you go off the deep end.

Oh...and uh, if Solich's players were so bad, why are so many of them starting on the defense? A defense, that while ranked in the lower third of the stat rankings in many categories, has 6-7 potential NFL players on it. Coz sucks, and needs to go...Cally will win without him. I don't believe he will win anything more than the North with him.

Also, please tell me what Notre Dame's record was before Weis. Oh, and what was Florida's? Nebraska's was 10-3 the year before Cally came in. I don't believe Notre Dame's or Florida's were that good, and two years later they are both in BCS bowls.

By the way, for all you knowledgeable football fans, Meyer completely overhauled the offense at Florida when he got there. Yet, they seem to be doing ok...BCS Championship...

I think we need to keep in mind the staff had to rebuild the entire offense from scratch. This may be our third season with Callahan but he didn't have much to work with his first year. He had limited time to recruit, and players that needed to redshirt didn't because we didn't have the depth to allow it. And most teams that change their offenses around already have at least some talent they can use. To run an effective WCOffense you need a pro caliber QB and pro caliber receivers. We had neither. We didn't even have a QB that could run the entire offense until we got Taylor. And as smart as Taylor is, he isn't a pro caliber QB. He's smart, and he does have talent and he may make it up in Canada or Europe, but he's not going to start anytime soon in the NFL.

So I think Callahan has done a great job. We won the north and came very close to beating Texas and Oklahoma. Next season we set the bar a little higher and win the confernece.

I'm a homer but I'd put the Huskers against the Irish any day of the week and twice on any Saturday. BC has the program headed in the right direction and to be honest looking back at the year and what the team has done I have even greater respect for him as a coach. I hope he sticks around for a very long time.

I'm not sure Coz is the guy we need on D and I have never been a fan of the guy but with the talent he's got I must also admit that things could have been much worse. We can bag on the secondary all we like but these are they guys we've got and they are the best we've got right now so if your out there guys give us your best game of the year in the bowl. We need it.

Not only did Urban and Charlie come into much better situations that Callahan did, but it's also easier to recruit for Florida and Notre Dame than it is for Nebraska. That being said, who exactly has Notre Dame beat to make Weis so impressive? Ohio State? Michigan? USC? No, no, and more no. I think he has beat one ranked team since becoming head coach, and he has gotten blown out of the water repeatedly by decent teams. If Nebraska had Notre Dame's schedule this year we would be 11-2 also.

Hmmm...NU beat 1 ranked team this year...aTm. (Mizzou was ranked at the time, but they aren't anymore)

Lost to 3 ranked teams, and one 6-6 team.

ND lost to Michigan and USC. Did they lose to an unranked 6-6 team? Hmmmm....I don't believe they did...

ND's oppoents went 76 -69 and there are 7 teams going to bowl games.

NU's opponets went 82-64, and this is omiting 1-AA nichols. and 8 teams to bowl games.

NU beat A&M who is currently ranked.

ND beat GT who is ranked in only 1 poll at 25.

ND is a few years ahead in the rebuilding process too. The three years under willingham have all the players that are making Wies look good. Wait until next year when they lose most of the names thay have and we will see who is better along.

ND's oppoents went 76 -69 and there are 7 teams going to bowl games.

NU's opponets went 82-64, and this is omiting 1-AA nichols. and 8 teams to bowl games.

NU beat A&M who is currently ranked.

ND beat GT who is ranked in only 1 poll at 25.

ND is a few years ahead in the rebuilding process too. The three years under willingham have all the players that are making Wies look good. Wait until next year when they lose most of the names thay have and we will see who is better along.

Now we can definately agree on that!

I'm a homer but I'd put the Huskers against the Irish any day of the week and twice on any Saturday. BC has the program headed in the right direction and to be honest looking back at the year and what the team has done I have even greater respect for him as a coach. I hope he sticks around for a very long time.

I'm not sure Coz is the guy we need on D and I have never been a fan of the guy but with the talent he's got I must also admit that things could have been much worse. We can bag on the secondary all we like but these are they guys we've got and they are the best we've got right now so if your out there guys give us your best game of the year in the bowl. We need it.

I'd put the Huskers against the Irish anyday too. I think they are way overrated and are the media darlings. They didn't deserve a BCS bid. On the other hand, looking back at this year, I don't think they did anything extraordinary. They beat almost every team they were supposed to beat less OSU and lost to the teams that were supposed to beat them. They had a weak non conference schedule less USC and once again found a way to give up the big win BC hasn't achieved in his era. This season wasn't a bad season, but nothing to write home about.

With a win in the bowl game it will look much better. Finally a 10 win season, haven't had that since the solich days. But with a loss, 9-5 doesn't look that great and will leave us unranked.