1995 Nebraska vs. 2004 USC

oviedol55

I thought this was covered last season the week before UT beat USC.

What brings it up again?

The "Greatest College Football Playoff" show on ESPN Classic tonight set the 32 best teams ranked by ESPN against each other in a tournament. It was hosted by Rece Davis and had Lou Holtz, Barry Switzer, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Todd Blackledge, Tony Dorsett and Mark May breaking it down as well. All 3 Nebraska teams ('71, '83 and '95) made the final 8. '71 knocked off both '04 USC and '05 Texas to get into the Championship game, while '95 knocked off '01 Miami in the semifinal. The '95 team won something like 88%-12%. Everyone seemed to be okay with it besides Herbstreit, who wouldn't stop whining and taking shots at the state of Nebraska. He said the best two teams in the tournament were '04 USC and '01 Miami, and that's what led me to do this. '71 Nebraska only beat '04 USC by 1%, so it would've been interesting to see how lop-sided the voting would've been in '95 Nebraska's favor in the final if that USC team would've made it.

OK, I think I'm done now.

I thought this was covered last season the week before UT beat USC.

What brings it up again?

The "Greatest College Football Playoff" show on ESPN Classic tonight set the 32 best teams ranked by ESPN against each other in a tournament. It was hosted by Rece Davis and had Lou Holtz, Barry Switzer, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Todd Blackledge, Tony Dorsett and Mark May breaking it down as well. All 3 Nebraska teams ('71, '83 and '95) made the final 8. '71 knocked off both '04 USC and '05 Texas to get into the Championship game, while '95 knocked off '01 Miami in the semifinal. The '95 team won something like 88%-12%. Everyone seemed to be okay with it besides Herbstreit, who wouldn't stop whining and taking shots at the state of Nebraska. He said the best two teams in the tournament were '04 USC and '01 Miami, and that's what led me to do this. '71 Nebraska only beat '04 USC by 1%, so it would've been interesting to see how lop-sided the voting would've been in '95 Nebraska's favor in the final if that USC team would've made it.

OK, I think I'm done now.

Thanks..Great work on your Original post, BTW :woo

Almost wish I still had ESPNclassic..

Maybe I can google it or look at Espn.com

F--- Herbstreit....he's wrong and everyone there tonight knew it.

the 1995 Huskers could have beat any team, anywhere, anytime.

What I loved the most about Herbstriets statements during this show was how he was /drooling over 2001 Miami. When he started talking about all the first round picks from that team all I could think of how many Nebraska had. Did Miami have more success in the draft? Im sure they did. Does that mean that they had more players from the 2001 team make the NFL? Hell no. That 1995 team had so many players that made the NFL. If anyone is more sober then myself and more motivated, please find out which team did have more players join the NFL and the margin. Sure would be interesting to know.

Lastly, watching Herbstreit and May /cry about these two Skers teams make the finals just is the cherry on top for me. For years these two have been biased against the Huskers. Maybe this will be the history lesson they need. Just cause it was the Big 8, it does not mean we did not play quality football. Look at how many Big 8 teams were ranked in 1995. But yeah, the big 8 was weak!

/flipoff May and Herbstreit

-Pile

Those two supposedly experts don't know enough about the Big Eight to realize how powerful that league was. No conference ever went 1,2,3, in a finale poll like the Big Eight did, and they did it by beating other teams in bowl games that had climbed up to #2, #3 because Neb, Okl, Col had knocked each other out of the #2 and#3 spots by beating each other during the regular season. I remember Bear Bryant saying he would not play any more Big Eight teams on the road after Nebraska knocked them off in Lincoln and wrecked there bid for a N/C.

Most years the N/C went through the Big Eight. Getting into the Big 12 didn't help us at all, just saved a few dying teams in the SWC and killed our recruiting. Wished we could have left things alone but times change and so have I. LOL....

GBR!!!

I played that match up on NCAA 07, 95 Huskers smoked 04 USC by a score of 37-0. But the game was skewed and didn't have the correct ratings for the 95 Huskers. They weren't even overall an A+ rating. They were B overall on the game and USC was A+. So I had to make the game more realistic and tweak the stats of all the 95 NU players in the game and made them kick ass as much as they did that year.

Anyone want to bet on the game next year? You must be an idiot to think Nebraska is going to beat the number preseason returning almost of there team while we are indeed losing a lot of ours!

What? Preseason number one? who is returning almost all their starters, snd we are indeed losing a lot of ours? Please explain the phonics.

I can't wait for Herbstreit's next chat on ESPN.com. He's going to get HAMMERED.

Here's the thing: It's impossible to compare teams from different eras. I think that if you put USC '04 and Nebraska '95 on the field, in their primes, it would be a very close game. I'd give the edge to the Huskers because they would control the ball, keep Leinart, Bush, and Co. off the field, and they would have enough speed on defense to contain the Trojans long enough.

That being, said, they need to rename this playoff to "The Most Dominant College Football Team Ever". Of course '05 Texas would beat '71 Nebraska if they met on the field. That's a no-brainer. But what team was more dominant against their opponents?

And if you use that definition, I don't think there is any question that the '95 Huskers are the most dominant football team in college football history. And contrary to Herbstreit's idiocy, the Huskers did play tough teams that year. They played FIVE TOP-TEN TEAMS!!! FIVE!!! And they crushed them all!!

1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers - the greatest college football team EVER!

When Herbie mentioned how the 01 Canes would stack the line with 9 in the box and 71' Nebraska wouln't be able to run the option against them.

Am I wrong but I didn't think NU ran that much option back then, in fact didn't NU lead the Big 8 in passing?

I wasn't even born then but I thought through my dad's required history class I read that somewhere