ESPN Sux

HANC

One of the reasons they are doing that is because ABC (ESPN) lost rights to the other BCS games. They gotta hype the only big bowl they have.

Also, as Desmond Howard demonstrated, when they try to talk about other bowls they tend to get the teams mixed up. Since everyobne there is pretty sure that USC and Michigan are playing in the Rose, perhaps the network has restricted content to this one game to be on the safe side.... <_<

I will watch a college football game on ESPN, but I refuse to watch any of their pre-game or post-game material. Yes, part of this is ESPN's Big 10 biase. Living in Big 10 country each Saturday morning begins with a minimum of three Big 10 games on TV. ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 all have 1100 B10 games. I hate this!!

Now the real problem isn't ESPN. The real problem is that the Big 12 was unable to get a TV contract from ESPN. Until the B12 gets an ESPN TV contract the conference will always suffer a lack of coverage on that network.

Its nice to have Fox competing against the ABC/ESPN duo, but let's face it: college football is a second class citizen on Fox (NFL #1) and you can tell by the announcing teams that are assigned to the typical Fox college football game. Brutal comes to mind.

Okay, here comes yet another one of my infamous rants.

Alright I warned you…

Here goes….

This dissing of games not covered by ESPN is nothing new. All of you Husker fans old enough to remember the 1997 season think back and take a walk down memory lane with me.

ESPN/ABC was going to air the Rose Bowl that year as well. Early in the season, Nebraska was ranked #1, but there was no chance of the Huskers ending up on ESPN/ABC. That year the Orange Bowl (Nebraska’s conference tie-in) was to be aired on CBS. So early in the year ESPN ran a hype campaign about who should be #1 between the winner of the Michigan vs. Penn State game (I am pretty sure that was the match-up). Oh, good `ol ESPN seemed to conveniently forget that there was already a #1 team that was not playing in that particular match-up. But, like I mentioned before, ESPN was not going to get a chance to air the game that Nebraska was going to play in if they won their conference and remained #1. IMO this was a blatant, purposeful, premeditated attempt to screw Nebraska for the sake of ratings. And if you all remember, lo and behold, after Michigan and Penn State played, Michigan jumped Nebraska and was crowned the new #1 team. If you don’t think that was orchestrated by ESPN, then you probably believe the Warren report’s lone gunman theory.

Another bi-product of ESPN/ABC’s shameless self-promotion was the way they screwed Peyton Manning out of the Heisman Trophy. Once again, ESPN/ABC was going to show the Rose Bowl, and Peyton Manning was going to play in the Sugar or Orange Bowl. So about mid-season ESPN began showing highlights of all of Charles Woodson’s offensive plays (they knew a pure defensive player would never win the Heisman). In contrast, whenever they showed Peyton Manning highlights, they would show him getting sacked or throwing an interception. Never mind that Manning put up incredible numbers that should have made him the clear favorite for the Heisman; ESPN/ABC wanted to hype the “National Championship game, featuring Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson.” I must have seen a hundred highlights of Woodson running back punts for TD’s. Want to know the funny thing? He only returned one. That’s right, for all the Woodson punt return highlights he only returned ONE FREAKING PUNT for a TD.

If that is not enough evidence of the ESPN/ABC self promotion, when some people had the audacity to suggest that if Nebraska won the Orange Bowl and Michigan won the Rose Bowl, perhaps they should split the national title, all of the hacks on ESPN began the mantra “If a team is #1 and they win, then you have to leave them #1.” I must have heard a dozen ESPN idiot analyst make that or similar remarks to the effect that if Michigan won out they deserved the national title. Funny thing is, where was the outcry for fairness earlier in the season when Nebraska was #1 and the sportswriters jumped Michigan over us? Oh, I forgot, that didn’t suit ESPN/ABC’s shameless attempts to bolster the ratings for the game they were going to televise.

Well, that’s my rant against ESPN/ABC…at least for now…I’ve already weighed in with my feelings about Mark May and that whining little piece of sh*t Herbstiet.

I suppose ESPN is also harboring terrorists here as well? I am now dumbing for reading your post.

Holy crap.... is anyone else getting sick and tired of the same ol' song and dance before EVERY bowl game thus far.... and EVERY half-time show... I get so pissed at listening to these clowns talk about USC and Michigan...

I have watched most of the bowl coverage, but not all, have I missed anything on the Cotton Bowl?

You have two great programs competing in the Cotton bowl, and these dumb asses can't even mention it !!!

Damn these idiots !!!!

I have not watched a shred of sports media since bowl selections. Im still in mourning over our dissapointing end.

Holy crap.... is anyone else getting sick and tired of the same ol' song and dance before EVERY bowl game thus far.... and EVERY half-time show... I get so pissed at listening to these clowns talk about USC and Michigan...

I have watched most of the bowl coverage, but not all, have I missed anything on the Cotton Bowl?

You have two great programs competing in the Cotton bowl, and these dumb asses can't even mention it !!!

Damn these idiots !!!!

I have not watched a shred of sports media since bowl selections. Im still in mourning over our dissapointing end.

I can relate with dissapointing endings (ie Big XII Championship game), and I don't blame you for skipping the bowl media coverage. ESPN is just awful. Between Mark May's nonsensical remarks, Herbstreits whinning, and Granny Holtz's spiting and slurping (somebody give Mark May a towel), it's quite simply a waste of time! :bang

By the way, love the signature on your post...I'll take mine with A-1 sause. What? that's not a menu item? Ooops, my bad :)

Also on ESPN they don't even give Florida a chance in the title game (on the rare occasion that they talk about that game instead of the Rose Bowl). All the player profiles are on Ohio State players and they always talk about how great Troy Smith is. Everyone on ESPN is picking Ohio State and thats why I picked Florida because the SEC is stronger than the weak Big 10 who outside of OSU, UM, and maybe Wisconsin really sucks.

As far as Ohio St vs Florida? Ohio St hasn't seen a team full of speed on both sides of the ball. Remember Florida plays ugly and wins. They put together a solid game, I'm not sure Ohio St could stay on the field with them. But you can bet Florida is going after Troy Smith with all they got. Florida's team speed can hang with Ohio St. Remember, Ohio St almost lost to Indiana. I am sure Florida has watched that film many times.

Now to ESPN. lol Your message boards looks like ours when it comes to ESPN talk. It might be partly our fault Nebraska is not getting much air time on ESPN because our relationship with ESPN is not very good. LOL Tommy Tuberville has guts and has practically told ESPN where to stick it before. He only cares about Auburn winning and not what ESPN thinks. MIchigan and USC have always been the media darlings. Look at where they are ranked every season when it starts. I don't feel sorry for MIchigan. They did indeed get a shot at Ohio St and lost. Ohio St is the better team and why would we want Michigan to have a second chance? A lot of teams won't get that shot and have a reason to complain. MIchigan doesn't.

Our revenge Husker and Auburn fans is to have a great bowl game and beat the holy crap out of our conference opponents next season and stay unbeaten. Imagine the headline. Auburn faces Nebraska for a rematch and this time for the national title. LOL I know it will be tough for that to happen. But possible.

Just laugh at the ESPN goofs like we do.

WARRRRRR EAGLE!!!!!!!

Our revenge Husker and Auburn fans is to have a great bowl game and beat the holy crap out of our conference opponents next season and stay unbeaten. Imagine the headline. Auburn faces Nebraska for a rematch and this time for the national title. LOL I know it will be tough for that to happen. But possible.

WARRRRRR EAGLE!!!!!!!

That would be awesome. I would love for that to happen.

Alright I warned you…

You weren't joking!

:lol:

that was a good most tho C.H....agreed.

sh#t they might as well be, i hate those c**k suckers.

that was a really good post by the way. like you took MOST of the board's members feelings, put them in a blender and made a f#*k espn smoothie

:yeah

enjoyable to read.

and i still watch it every night...haha

and a " :yeah " to gamecocks!!

GBR!!

WARRRRRR EAGLE!!!!!!!

That would be awesome. I would love for that to happen.

That does have a nice ring to it.

Alright I warned you…

Here goes….

This dissing of games not covered by ESPN is nothing new. All of you Husker fans old enough to remember the 1997 season think back and take a walk down memory lane with me.

ESPN/ABC was going to air the Rose Bowl that year as well. Early in the season, Nebraska was ranked #1, but there was no chance of the Huskers ending up on ESPN/ABC. That year the Orange Bowl (Nebraska’s conference tie-in) was to be aired on CBS. So early in the year ESPN ran a hype campaign about who should be #1 between the winner of the Michigan vs. Penn State game (I am pretty sure that was the match-up). Oh, good `ol ESPN seemed to conveniently forget that there was already a #1 team that was not playing in that particular match-up. But, like I mentioned before, ESPN was not going to get a chance to air the game that Nebraska was going to play in if they won their conference and remained #1. IMO this was a blatant, purposeful, premeditated attempt to screw Nebraska for the sake of ratings. And if you all remember, lo and behold, after Michigan and Penn State played, Michigan jumped Nebraska and was crowned the new #1 team. If you don’t think that was orchestrated by ESPN, then you probably believe the Warren report’s lone gunman theory.

Another bi-product of ESPN/ABC’s shameless self-promotion was the way they screwed Peyton Manning out of the Heisman Trophy. Once again, ESPN/ABC was going to show the Rose Bowl, and Peyton Manning was going to play in the Sugar or Orange Bowl. So about mid-season ESPN began showing highlights of all of Charles Woodson’s offensive plays (they knew a pure defensive player would never win the Heisman). In contrast, whenever they showed Peyton Manning highlights, they would show him getting sacked or throwing an interception. Never mind that Manning put up incredible numbers that should have made him the clear favorite for the Heisman; ESPN/ABC wanted to hype the “National Championship game, featuring Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson.” I must have seen a hundred highlights of Woodson running back punts for TD’s. Want to know the funny thing? He only returned one. That’s right, for all the Woodson punt return highlights he only returned ONE FREAKING PUNT for a TD.

If that is not enough evidence of the ESPN/ABC self promotion, when some people had the audacity to suggest that if Nebraska won the Orange Bowl and Michigan won the Rose Bowl, perhaps they should split the national title, all of the hacks on ESPN began the mantra “If a team is #1 and they win, then you have to leave them #1.” I must have heard a dozen ESPN idiot analyst make that or similar remarks to the effect that if Michigan won out they deserved the national title. Funny thing is, where was the outcry for fairness earlier in the season when Nebraska was #1 and the sportswriters jumped Michigan over us? Oh, I forgot, that didn’t suit ESPN/ABC’s shameless attempts to bolster the ratings for the game they were going to televise.

Well, that’s my rant against ESPN/ABC…at least for now…I’ve already weighed in with my feelings about Mark May and that whining little piece of sh*t Herbstiet.

I suppose ESPN is also harboring terrorists here as well? I am now dumbing for reading your post.

Get a clue BRS! You are "dumbing" for reading the post?!?! Dee dee dee! Cal Husker is right on. Do your homework and you'll discover its true.