Shrine Bowl

gamecocks

A lot of these senior bowl games are for those that haven't had excellent years but who still have a chance at going to the pros. It is pretty much just a showcase game. A lot of the higher profile seniors turn down opportunities to play in this game because they don't want to lose any draft stock with a bad performance.

Then why the hell did Taylor accept this then???

A lot of these senior bowl games are for those that haven't had excellent years but who still have a chance at going to the pros. It is pretty much just a showcase game. A lot of the higher profile seniors turn down opportunities to play in this game because they don't want to lose any draft stock with a bad performance.

Taylor is predicted to go anywhere from low round 2 to undrafted. Not exactly the "high profile" prospect that usually avoids these games. "High profile" in this case means somebody like Peyton Manning a few years ago. a top 10 or 15 pick.

Of course he's going to accept an invitation to an All Star game. As said, its exposure. not just the game, but the practices, which are considered important for scouts, maybe even more so than the game itself.

Its also a chance to talk with nfl scouts and officials. Taylor could benefit tremendousely from the whole experience. As could Herian.

I like carrickers chances of getting drafted early in round 1 or 2. He didn't have as good of a year as last year statistically, but he is a speciman. No need to risk getting hurt. Just show up to the combine and perform well.

seems like whenever a Husker is in that "late 1, early 2" spot, its usually ends up "early 2". Fabian being a lone exception in the last decade.

anyway, Carriker and JMoore have been invited to and are expected to play in the Senior Bowl.

LJS

not mentioned in the above link is Barry Cryer, who will play in the 1st ever "North-South All Star Classic". which will feature not only NFL scouts, but AFL, CFL and NFL Europe scouts! :hmmph

hopefully Barry appeals to that first set.

No official rosters yet for the Hula Bowl, the Las Vegas Classic or the, yes this is real, Texas vs the Nation Game. since the Florida vs the USA all star game worked out so well a few years ago.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/allstars/asbo...php?Season=2007

LJS

Cotton/Poly Blend, 12/29: Herian set for East-West Shrine Game

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Dec 28, 2006 - 10:54:29 pm CST

80 percent cotton

Although he has had a relatively quiet senior season, Nebraska tight end Matt Herian still holds out hope of playing in the NFL, he said Thursday.

Herian, who missed all of last season recovering from a broken leg, can improve his professional opportunities significantly with a strong performance Jan. 20 in the East-West Shrine Game in Houston.

Such all-star games offer a chance for seniors to perform in front of NFL coaches and personnel evaluators.

“I kind of told myself that I would take care of the season first, and then once the season was over, give it a shot,” Herian said. “If I don’t try it now, and give it one good shot, I might be kicking myself for the rest of my life.”

Herian, who has 12 receptions for 150 yards and two touchdowns this season, is listed on the West roster along with Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor.

Husker defensive ends Adam Carriker and Jay Moore are set to play in the Senior Bowl on Jan. 27 in Mobile, Ala.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Herian had 23 receptions through seven games in 2004 before suffering a fractured left leg in the eighth game. With 65 career receptions for 1,243 yards, he ranks as the school’s career leader in both receptions and yards among tight ends.

Herian hears people say he’s not the same player he was before his injury. But he points out that in Nebraska’s offense under Bill Callahan, the Huskers use more weapons than they did in Frank Solich’s run-oriented offense. Indeed, Herian is seldom the primary receiver these days.

Nevertheless, playing in Callahan’s NFL-style offense might help his chances to land in the league, said Herian, who hasn’t flashed the speed he showed before his leg injury.

He’s still working hard at it.

“It’s funny, but he really does get better every day,” Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. “He gets more confident. He runs better. It’s just one of those freaky injuries that takes time.”