Punt Fake...

i dont think the game should be blamed on this play. yes it was a bad call but we lost because we didnt score AT ALL the second half

I agree and great point!!! Our offense did nothing in the second half and our defense gave them plenty of opportunities to get something done........

Here's my thought on calling the fake punt. Being that deep in your own territory, us guessing you were going to run a fake would have been minimal at best. The further down the field you were would have increased the potential for a fake in our minds. It's just a play that didn't work. Regardless your team is getting better and you guys have a lot to look forward to. Take this loss out on the Big 12 next year and win it. Go gettem Huskers.

WARRR EAGLE!!!

Californiahusker or whatever your name is......Shanle never played on defense from what i can remember untill this year....i think you are referring to the fact that he was flying around on special teams.....so was thenarse.....so was rigoni......we should have played rigoni this year........and yes he is the worst defensive back nebraska has ever,ever,ever had.....not attacking him i dont doubt his dedication to the team or his effort, some have more ability than others and athletically yes he is the worst.....sorry to burst your bubble.

Californiahusker or whatever your name is......Shanle never played on defense from what i can remember untill this year....i think you are referring to the fact that he was flying around on special teams.....so was thenarse.....so was rigoni......we should have played rigoni this year........and yes he is the worst defensive back nebraska has ever,ever,ever had.....not attacking him i dont doubt his dedication to the team or his effort, some have more ability than others and athletically yes he is the worst.....sorry to burst your bubble.

Huskers1 or whatever your name is, in the beginning Shanle did play defense, albeit in a backup role. He was listed as a cornerback during his freshman year however he played some nickel situations and at times he lined up like an outside linebacker. Now I know his play at linebacker (or where he lined up like a LB) does not address your original point, that he is “the worst defensive back Nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER, had”, but what I am eluding to is the fact that he is not a bad player, but maybe…just maybe…a good player doing his best to play a position for which he is not well suited. Yes Shanle shined on special teams, but I remember when he would come in and play LB, I couldn’t wait until he got the chance to start. I also remember how upset I was when I discovered that they had converted him to safety and not decided to convert him to outside linebacker (In the McBride era he would have been a perfect candidate for conversion to outside linebacker). Now, as to the assertion that he is “the worst defensive back Nebraska has Ever, Ever, Ever had”, once again, I can think of quite a few that were worse, but unlike you, I don’t want to call out kids who are doing their best. I still think it is all on the coaching. And although I think he is playing a position for which he is not best suited, I think the coaching staff could have done a much better job of preparing him to play that position. I think the fact that he missed some key tackling opportunities had much more to do with him being set up improperly on a particular play, than on his lack of ability to make plays; once again, all on the coaches. And also, if the coaches are teaching him to strip the ball rather than wrap up and make the tackle (as they have admitted to) then once again it is all on the coaches. But then again husker1 or whatever your name is, you have the right to disagree with me, and the coaches, and form whatever opinion you like. Shanle is gone and you won’t have him to kick around any more, so lets see if next year when this coaching staff has Culbert or whomever takes Shanle’s place lining up out of position, and striping the ball instead of wrapping up, if that player will take Shanle’s title as “the worst defensive back Nebraska has Ever, Ever, Ever, had.”

And by the way, you’re not bursting my bubble, I know for a fact that all of the defensive woes this year lay squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Sure it would have been nice to have 11 All-Americans on defense, but it is the coaches job to teach technique and come up with a game plan to take advantage of the team’s strengths and ameliorate their weaknesses. Our coaches did nothing of the sort.

So does the fact that the players will stand up and say that the coaches had a good gameplan and the players were out of position and/or just didnt make plays when they were there mean anything to you? About shanle being a linebacker....that makes a lot of sense to put someone at linebacker who cant tackle any better than a 7th grader at linebacker.....people are whining about rudds inability to lay someone out? Shanle had the opportunity to take peoples heads off this year when they were extended for a pass and he either would arm tackle them or just run by the them....if you think that didnt happen this year a lot of times then you didnt watch the games. Im not even sure that he played linebacker you might be thinking of his brother....but I could be wrong....and you might even be wrong about him playing nickel bc from what I can remember we either had rickets, mchperson or washington in there for the longest time.....once again not sure though....I am sure that he flat out sucked this year and I thank the football gods that he is gone...when asante or culbert maybe thenarse start next year in the position that he so pathetically held down this year...yes you will finally realize that he is.....you know the story.

Sure it would have been nice to have 11 All-Americans on defense, but it is the coaches job to teach technique and come up with a game plan to take advantage of the team’s strengths and ameliorate their weaknesses. Our coaches did nothing of the sort.

I am not a Elmission (sp) fan by any means, so I do not neccessarily mean to defend him; but, you can teach, condition, and inspire some players and they will always get out played. I heard Osborne say one time that "you can not teach instinct". If good coaching was all it took, then I should be able to hire a great coach and begin planning to play in the NBA. Maybe the coaches did do everything they could with who was back there (maybe, I do have doubts), but in they end, there was just more talent on the other teams. I am absolutely positive that Shanle tried his hardest, and I am also absolutely positive that he is a pretty good player; but, that pretty good player got smoked this year by some much, much better players (not great players, just much better than Shanle).

There was definately games that I felt the defensive gameplan was poor, but I also think that our Dbacks could make most gameplans seem poor. Is this because of a lack of talent, poor coaching, or a mixture of both? Who knows? With the players coming in, Elmission should be able to get the job done. If he can't with these guys, we will all know the answer.

I wish that i could be the guy giving him his degree when he graduates. I agree with husker1 shans puts no fear into any receiver. he will not hit, he can't cover his shadow, and he lacks the ability to make big plays on defence. I will show one example. Final play of the first half on the road at oki state. They throw a deap seam route. Shans was late geting to the ball Oki State ties the game up and takes all of the momentum going to the half. I think that play changed that whole game. Get Asante here put some fear into some receivers, and start making big plays on defence.

So does the fact that the players will stand up and say that the coaches had a good gameplan and the players were out of position and/or just didnt make plays when they were there mean anything to you? About shanle being a linebacker....that makes a lot of sense to put someone at linebacker who cant tackle any better than a 7th grader at linebacker.....people are whining about rudds inability to lay someone out? Shanle had the opportunity to take peoples heads off this year when they were extended for a pass and he either would arm tackle them or just run by the them....if you think that didnt happen this year a lot of times then you didnt watch the games. Im not even sure that he played linebacker you might be thinking of his brother....but I could be wrong....and you might even be wrong about him playing nickel bc from what I can remember we either had rickets, mchperson or washington in there for the longest time.....once again not sure though....I am sure that he flat out sucked this year and I thank the football gods that he is gone...when asante or culbert maybe thenarse start next year in the position that he so pathetically held down this year...yes you will finally realize that he is.....you know the story.

I didn't say he started; he played some in mop up duty. And here is my main point. When a player hits, and tackles, and flies to the ball, and is the one guy who seems to always stand out whether on special teams or in a mop up role, and then he gets in as a starter and suddenly he is late on every play, arm tackles, makes failed attempts at stripping the ball instead of wrapping up…that all points to coaching. It is their job to teach technique and make sure he is in the right place most of the time. The defensive schemes this year have been pathetic. Who knows how good Shanle and Grixby are? I know there were times when Grix was in the receiver’s shirt. But more often than not he was out of position. Same with Shanle. Don't forget, we had a guy named Bullocks who led the nation in interceptions one year with one coordinator, then the next year he practically disappeared under the Cosgrove regime. Coincidence? I think not. I can't believe Shanle went from the guy he WAS as a freshman, to the way he LOOKED this year because he suddenly became less talented, or lost his heart. We'll see next year. In fact I would say give these guys a couple of years with Culbert and Thanarse etc., and I hope to God I am wrong! I hope it was all Shanle's fault. I hope he forgot how to tackle between his freshman and senior years. Because if what happened to him is as I expect, poor coaching, then we are screwed! Once again I will restate what I have said all along, coaches set themselves up for criticism. It goes with the job. They are in charge and if the job doesn’t get done it is all on them. I still think it’s CHICKEN-$#*! to place the blame on a 20-year-old kid. Just my opinion.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA well thats the first time I have ever heard that shanle flew to the ball!!! I needed a good laugh, school started this week and I was kinda down, so thanks that helped. Even if he did fly to the ball (which he didnt) he should have some momentum coming up on the ball carriers hes a safety. Capp makes a great example of the okie st. game, and there are several more of HIM making mistakes. I see you failed recognize my point of the PLAYERS saying the COACHES had great gameplans and on film you could see they were out of position. Thats ok you can ignore that point. If a 20 year old kid doesnt want to take the blame for what HE is doing then dont play college athletics. That was the most ridiculous statement. These kids arent just kids, some of them are on their way to becoming more rich than more than likely any of us will ever be in our lifetime. As for shanle he never had to worry about that happening to him, even if he was a finely tuned machine as a freshman, which I doubt he ever was.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA well thats the first time I have ever heard that shanle flew to the ball!!! I needed a good laugh, school started this week and I was kinda down, so thanks that helped. Even if he did fly to the ball (which he didnt) he should have some momentum coming up on the ball carriers hes a safety. Capp makes a great example of the okie st. game, and there are several more of HIM making mistakes. I see you failed recognize my point of the PLAYERS saying the COACHES had great gameplans and on film you could see they were out of position. Thats ok you can ignore that point. If a 20 year old kid doesnt want to take the blame for what HE is doing then dont play college athletics. That was the most ridiculous statement. These kids arent just kids, some of them are on their way to becoming more rich than more than likely any of us will ever be in our lifetime. As for shanle he never had to worry about that happening to him, even if he was a finely tuned machine as a freshman, which I doubt he ever was.

Of course he had the coach's back. What is he going to say "the coaches suck?" That would have been the truth, but he wasn't going to say it. And if you don't remember the way Shanle played as a freshman and sophomore, then this argument is pointless. Besides what does it matter, he is gone and you and the coaching staff will be rid of "the wost defensive back Nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had." Now all of that great talent that has been sitting on the bench can come in and take Sanle's place. I just kind of wonder what the deal is. Does Shanle have something on the coaching staff that they would keep him in even though everybody on the bench is better? Does he know where the bodies are buried? What's going on? How did he keep his blackshirt all year? You know, since he is "the wost defensive back Nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had." You wold have thought they would have benched him and gotten someone in there who could play. It couldn't be loyalty. Hell, they shipped QBs off to every school in North Carolina. I'm sure they could have found some Pop Warner team to take him. So why did they keep "the wost defensive back Nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had?" It is quite a mystery.

Sorry you have earned a great big :asshat

I have to agree with Ca husker on this one. What kind of buffoon leaves the worst DB in the schools history in all year? (Don’t answer that question I already know)

I also remember Shanle playing well as a back up in his freshmen and sophomore seasons, but all of our DB’s have been bad since coz has been the coordinator. Have we just had players that suck or a coach that has them out of position and looking bad?

Well how does someone become a worse tackeler? Shanle missed tackles this year that were one on one several times that either led to touchdowns or was a touchdown on that play. Let alone him not hitting someone that should have been layed out. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he got hurt last year. I have on idea, maybe he was the only person at his position the coaches felt comfortable with knowing the plays. Even if he knew the plays he was still the most unathletic db nebraska has ever had and I will never think otherwise, that is unless someone proves me wrong which would take a whole lot (players on the field) Maybe he lost a lot of his confidence. Ill agree with you that I dont think the db coaches are the greatest but watching shanle this year was disgusting.