TRUST

I'll take a coach with the guts to make the call for a fake punt anyday over a conservative loaf of bread coach..........aka Mr. Solich. Too conservative, not conservative enough, too emotional, not emotional enough. Coaches can't win. BC gotta have hide nearly as thick as TO's by now. BC brings an elemant of suprise to Husker football that I've never seen in my lifetime. With the exception of the fumbleruskie and that lateral bounce pass that Turner threw to Rozier I don't recall many "out of the ordinary" plays called under TO.

On a side note. Coach Cozgrove. I have never been a fan of your or your schemes. I will however give you a little credit on the bowl game. The D easily played well enough to win. You still need to have a heart to heart with your secondary coach but over all this was and excellenat performance against an excellant football team.

Bottom line, I don't care about trust or love when you are running a fake punt on your own 30. Thats a bad call in high school for God's sakes, and it was a bad call yesterday. Period.

Its too bad, and I have gotten over it a little, but he did outsmart himself a little bit

Bottom line, I don't care about trust or love when you are running a fake punt on your own 30. Thats a bad call in high school for God's sakes, and it was a bad call yesterday. Period.

Its too bad, and I have gotten over it a little, but he did outsmart himself a little bit

I got it the first time.

You know when Ron Prince did it at his goal line he was a genious.

:dunno

I got it the first time.

You know when Ron Prince did it at his goal line he was a genious.

:dunno

Yeah, and we were dumb enough to let it happen. Auburn played smart and that's why they won the game.

Still when AU fumbled with 3 minutes and change left the door was wide open.

Teams with a killer instinct would walk through that door and put their foot on the oposing teams throat.

We are just not there yet. I think we will be maybe as soon as next season.

Just not yet.

oh yeah. Just because everyone is making a big deal out of the fake punt doesn't mean we still didn't have a chance. The fake punt, like it or not, happened (I personally didn't like it but that point is moot). We forced 2 turnovers in the second half (I believe both were great field position) and failed to capitalize on either. The fake punt was not the end of the world, we failed in many more areas other that that. The D stepped up big when it had to and even got us the ball back late in the game for what could have been the game winning or game tying drive.

The point is the defense played a great game. WE had opportunities. I watched us play a few games back about 6 years agw when we had no opportunites, and against far less ranked competition.

As I watched this season, I began to think that Zac had an injury or had lost confidence. I think that is some of the problem. I truly do not feel he plays as well with Lucky in the back field.

Granted there are problems with the program, but all in all we are headed in the right direction. But thinking we are going to beat SC next year gives me concern. We are not even close to that level of a team.

I stated when BC got here it would take 5 years to turn the corner. Still feel the same way.

I am sorry but I disagree a little on one of the points in the last post. To say we are not even on the same level as USC is not correct. We just lost to the #10 team in the nation by 3 points (probably should have won) who beat Florida. We had Texas beaten. Our talent level is almost as good and as you may have seen, Boise State did it against Oklahoma. Team chemistry, coaching, game plan, attitude and heart go a long way in football. I would say we may be underdogs against USC next year (slight underdog) but we definately have a better than average chance of beating them. We ARE in their class. Why is everyone so negative? College football is as wide open now as ever. Lets win em' all I say.

I am sorry but I disagree a little on one of the points in the last post. To say we are not even on the same level as USC is not correct. We just lost to the #10 team in the nation by 3 points (probably should have won) who beat Florida. We had Texas beaten. Our talent level is almost as good and as you may have seen, Boise State did it against Oklahoma. Team chemistry, coaching, game plan, attitude and heart go a long way in football. I would say we may be underdogs against USC next year (slight underdog) but we definately have a better than average chance of beating them. We ARE in their class. Why is everyone so negative? College football is as wide open now as ever. Lets win em' all I say.

:thumbs:yeah I agree, the not as talented as everyone else excuse is getting old. We have good talent. Talent isn't the only component to winning a NC. Boise St is the prime example. No way in a snow ball's chance in hell does Boise St have the talent of a top 20-25 team. But they have heart, are well coached, and they believe in themselves. And they play on the blue smurf turf in adverse conditions.

:thumbs:yeah I agree, the not as talented as everyone else excuse is getting old. We have good talent. Talent isn't the only component to winning a NC. Boise St is the prime example. No way in a snow ball's chance in hell does Boise St have the talent of a top 20-25 team. But they have heart, are well coached, and they believe in themselves. And they play on the blue smurf turf in adverse conditions.

And got LUCKY that Paul Thompson turned the ball over 4 times. Boise State has talent don't fool yourself. Johnson could start for most teams in the country. They beat one good team by using trick plays(that just happened to work) to help out with their 12 wins against bad teams.

If you also think we have as much talent as USC, Texas, OU you know NOTHING about Football and that is a fact. Maybe players here and there but Top to bottom all 85 players it is not close...............................Yet.

And got LUCKY that Paul Thompson turned the ball over 4 times. Boise State has talent don't fool yourself. Johnson could start for most teams in the country. They beat one good team by using trick plays(that just happened to work) to help out with their 12 wins against bad teams.

If you also think we have as much talent as USC, Texas, OU you know NOTHING about Football and that is a fact. Maybe players here and there but Top to bottom all 85 players it is not close...............................Yet.

First of all, Paul Thompson didn't hand the ball over to Boise St. Boise St. FORCED the turnovers. So with that moronic statment you made you obviously know NOTHING about football. I never said Boise St. didn't have talent, they just don't recruit top notch talented players, the develop talent. Let me illustrate this by some information i looked up on rivals, everyone's favorite site for grading talent.

Boise St final recruiting rankings based on per year:

2002 #74

2003 #101

2004 #85

2005 #64

2006 #70

2007 #79(incomplete)

Ian Johnson is a very talented back now, but coming out of hs he was a 2 star player. Their starting qb Jared Zabransky who torched OU to the tune of 19/29, 262 yds, 3td, 1int, wasn't even ranked by Rivals.

Maybe we aren't as talented as USC from top to bottom, but to reitterate my previous point above, talent isn't the only factor in winning. On the field Monday, it didn't look to me as if NU was overmatched against Auburn (a top 10 team with what I will assume everyone agrees has a great deal of talent). Neither did we look overmatched against OU in the Big XII CG. Obviously Boise St didn't look overmatched, in fact they almost gave OU the game, but showed great character, determination, desire, and creativity to drive the length of the field in 1 minute, force OT, overcome a quick score, score on 4th down, and convert a ballsy 2pt conversion.

First of all, Paul Thompson didn't hand the ball over to Boise St. Boise St. FORCED the turnovers. So with that moronic statment you made you obviously know NOTHING about football.

Aside from one of his Int's the other three turnovers were not forced by Boise St they had to do with Thompson's poor decisions and him not taking care of the ball when he got sacked. One Int he threw it across his body on the move into triple coverage(nothing to do with Boise forcing it) and on the one returned for a td he threw it into the flat where the only person around was the Boise St DB(again nothing to do with Boise forcing it).

If Boise's winning the last few years has more to do with coaching then talent why wasn't the Almighty Dan Hawkins able to win with what he had at CU? Did he change his coaching style?

So since you only mentioned USC does that mean you think we have just as much talent Top to Bottom as Texas and OU?

Instead of copying and pasting my quote 100 times, I've decided to start my own thread.

The word of the day is TRUST

The play(punt fake) worked. An excellent call, that took huge balls that possible could have went for big yardage with Shanle, great speed, had THE PLAYER caught it.

I love gutsy calls. He's a great head coach because he trusts and loves his players. He trusted his players to play the game without worrying about making mistakes. That's a great quality to have as a coach...TRUST!!!!!!!!Unfortunately, PLAYERS aren't perfect and sometime make mistakes. Life goes on.

If he worried his players would make mistakes all the time we would go .500 every year....gotta take chance and for the most part they worked all year.

I agree with what you say about the trust factor, but I am still not a fan of that call. It either shows balls or a lack of brains. If it works, the guy is ballsy, if it doesn't he is an idiot. The play was there, no question about it, but I am not sure that we needed to take that risk at that point in the game. However, like you say, the chances he has taken this year have seemingly all worked out minus that one play. I like the fact that Callahan isn't afraid to mix it up, I am just not a huge fan of the play call at that time. Perhaps that is why plays like that usually do work for this team, because they go against conventional wisdom. As far as I am concerned, Callahan can stay here as long as he likes. The change in philosophy, attitude, trust and camaraderie has evolved so much in the 3 seasons he has been here, that I am excited to see the upward trend continue.

I'll take a coach with the guts to make the call for a fake punt anyday over a conservative loaf of bread coach..........aka Mr. Solich. Too conservative, not conservative enough, too emotional, not emotional enough. Coaches can't win. BC gotta have hide nearly as thick as TO's by now. BC brings an elemant of suprise to Husker football that I've never seen in my lifetime. With the exception of the fumbleruskie and that lateral bounce pass that Turner threw to Rozier I don't recall many "out of the ordinary" plays called under TO.

On a side note. Coach Cozgrove. I have never been a fan of your or your schemes. I will however give you a little credit on the bowl game. The D easily played well enough to win. You still need to have a heart to heart with your secondary coach but over all this was and excellenat performance against an excellant football team.

Love the play. Can't go with the law of averages every time...or else you'll just be average.