Trick Plays

Correct me if Im wrong but did we not run a trick play in EVERY game this season. Whether it was a fake punt, field goal, QB throwback, pitch pass, etc?

I also might be wrong about this since Im a younger fan....but I NEVER remember running many if any trick plays in the pre callahan era. Instead, we lined up and played solid football. (Kinda like that 1st quarter)

I think this shows that you dont believe you are as good as your opponent. Its pathetic, unnecessary, and must stop.

Correct me if Im wrong but did we not run a trick play in EVERY game this season. Whether it was a fake punt, field goal, QB throwback, pitch pass, etc?

I also might be wrong about this since Im a younger fan....but I NEVER remember running many if any trick plays in the pre callahan era. Instead, we lined up and played solid football. (Kinda like that 1st quarter)

I think this shows that you dont believe you are as good as your opponent. Its pathetic, unnecessary, and must stop.

Did you see the Fiesta Bowl tonight? Boise St. ran trick plays to perfection on crucial plays and they paid off. I have liked the trick plays to keep the defense off-balance. Some work and some don't. That being said, I did not like the fake punt we tried today as the risk was way to steep for the reward. That was simply a bad play call that cost us big time.

Husker BCS: Tom Osborn used to pull off trick plays with class. Some worked, some didn't work. The hotheads called for his scalp then, only to worship him after the next game or the next championship. Coach Osborn took some really big chances over the years - you make decisions based on experience and knowledge of your team - today Callahan figured we couldn't make a 45 yard FG so he made the correct decision to go with the high percentage play. Today he figured there was a very high percentage the fake punt would work - it nearly did - he knows more about our team's capabilities than we do.

Callahan is doing a great job. He is bringing quality kids into the program and doing it with one arm tied behind his back. How hard would it be to convince kids to come and play in Lincoln when Tempe, LA or Miami is also making the same promises? You are 17 year old kid and see the beaches in LA versus what Lincoln can offer - what choice do you make? Don't get me wrong, I love Lincoln and the Huskers - but given the chance to live in Miami or LA or Lincoln - when you are 17 - tough choice.....

River-Runner

Did you see the Fiesta Bowl tonight? Boise St. ran trick plays to perfection on crucial plays and they paid off. I have liked the trick plays to keep the defense off-balance. Some work and some don't. That being said, I did not like the fake punt we tried today as the risk was way to steep for the reward. That was simply a bad play call that cost us big time.

The difference with Boise St. is that they ran wrinkles off of other plays they ran. OU has watched tape on every game they played this year. The 2 pt conversion was a wrinkle off of a screen pass they ran with the D spread out and trips to one side. Nu has ran how many fake punts or fg's this year, 5-7. Auburn surely has seen film on every game. I'm sure they were weary of the fake punt/fg all game.

Oh my god!!! After the Colorado game it was "We need more of these trick plays they are fun and exciting" now its "Why are we doing these dumb trick plays"

real fans? no.

Give it a f%ck!ng rest on the "real fans" B@llsh!t. God that gets old. People disagree w/ a certain aspect of something and they aren't real fans. That's fine if you disagree w/ them, but who the F*ck are you to question the loyalty of another person to the great Husker Nation.

The difference with Boise St. is that they ran wrinkles off of other plays they ran. OU has watched tape on every game they played this year. The 2 pt conversion was a wrinkle off of a screen pass they ran with the D spread out and trips to one side. Nu has ran how many fake punts or fg's this year, 5-7. Auburn surely has seen film on every game. I'm sure they were weary of the fake punt/fg all game.

Oh my god!!! After the Colorado game it was "We need more of these trick plays they are fun and exciting" now its "Why are we doing these dumb trick plays"

real fans? no.

Give it a f%ck!ng rest on the "real fans" B@llsh!t. God that gets old. People disagree w/ a certain aspect of something and they aren't real fans. That's fine if you disagree w/ them, but who the F*ck are you to question the loyalty of another person to the great Husker Nation.

Easy Denver.........................I think it's going to predictable to teams next season that we are going to run at least one trick play per game. I loved our opening drive today though!!! That gave me a ton of confidence and it was working to perfection........

real fans? no.

Easy Denver.........................I think it's going to predictable to teams next season that we are going to run at least one trick play per game. I loved our opening drive today though!!! That gave me a ton of confidence and it was working to perfection........

My bad. I guess I should have thrown this in there :rant

"Oldschool" Nebraska football featured the use of trick plays sparingly when the situation allowed for it, including the infamous fumblerooski and WR pass... hell when we started running the Option it was considered by many older fans to be a gimmick offense.

We definitely see more trick plays with this administration but its not because we need to use them to win. We use trick plays like any other play in the playbook, if the defense is in a certain alignment that makes a trick play a fairly low risk or high reward play we bring one out. When effective they can really demoralize an opponent and give you a ton of momentum.

Being a younger fan you probably don't remember this but Switzer was one of those guys that loved the trick play and used them often at OU and it drove me crazy... to tell you the truth its refreshing to be on the other side of that more often nowadays.